Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NWHL Announcement Event On Tuesday In Saint Paul

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    This is what I'm imagining he's doing when you respond to him...

Muttley laugh

I'm autistic. It's incredibly difficult for me not to assume that people are being straightforward and actually mean what they say, even when I know, on some level, that a particular individual isn't. Generally, I find that it's not worth the effort, unless it's someone like Grant, who I know is at least well meaning even when he's not straightforward. This is hardly the only forum in which I provide entertainment for the trolls. To which, all I can say, is that, if it makes you feel good to have baited me, I have pity that you are so terrible at life that accomplishing such an easy task brings so much meaning to it.

Comment

The Whitecaps will have a goalie, and a good one at that.

https://www.nwhl.zone/news_article/show/1026360
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

While there are more pressing matters to address on this thread, the following might provide an entertaining respite, not unrelated to our concerns.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          The Whitecaps will have a goalie, and a good one at that.

https://www.nwhl.zone/news_article/show/1026360
          Edit: From the Star Tribune's Randy Johnson:
          "While many top women’s players in North America are boycotting the NWHL in an attempt to get a league that is more financially stable, the Minnesota Whitecaps continue to assemble a team to defend their championship. On Friday, Nicole Schammel, the Gophers’ leading scorer this season, signed with the Whitecaps. She joins goalie Amanda Leveille and forwards Jonna Curtis and Allie Thunstrom."

My question is, will there be any other NWHL teams for the Whitecaps to play?

Comment

I believe the Pride are up to 8.

Comment

You gotta wonder how much of this is due to animosity over the NWHL forming in the first place. My understanding is that originally Rylan wanted a CWHL team in NY but decided instead to form the NWHL. This probably didn’t go down well with the Canadians who seem to think they control women’s hockey (some would say do given their dominance, in more ways than one, over the Americans). The Canadian league was never going anywhere structured as it was, it was nothing more than a girls club destined to fail.

At the end of the day women who want to continue playing hockey AND have a career AND continue advancing women’s pro hockey AND support girls hockey will play. Those who want somebody to support them while they avoid the real world will not. They can go to Sweden or wherever, but that does nothing to build a league here.

When the Egyptians built a pyramid, somebody had to lay the first stone despite the possibility of never seeing the completed project. If everybody stood around waiting to lay the capstone the job would never have gotten started let alone completed.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                You gotta wonder how much of this is due to animosity over the NWHL forming in the first place. My understanding is that originally Rylan wanted a CWHL team in NY but decided instead to form the NWHL. This probably didn’t go down well with the Canadians who seem to think they control women’s hockey (some would say do given their dominance, in more ways than one, over the Americans). The Canadian league was never going anywhere structured as it was, it was nothing more than a girls club destined to fail.

At the end of the day women who want to continue playing hockey AND have a career AND continue advancing women’s pro hockey AND support girls hockey will play. Those who want somebody to support them while they avoid the real world will not. They can go to Sweden or wherever, but that does nothing to build a league here.

When the Egyptians built a pyramid, somebody had to lay the first stone despite the possibility of never seeing the completed project. If everybody stood around waiting to lay the capstone the job would never have gotten started let alone completed.
                Nice analogy - the Egyptians used slaves!

Comment

• Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
                  I believe the Pride are up to 8.
                  If they keep it up, they might be able to establish a one team league.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                    If they keep it up, they might be able to establish a one team league.
                    And play 4 on 4 hockey - two full lines and lots of offense!

Comment

Originally posted by arenalife View Post
                      your name suggests you spend a lot of time at the rink, maybe too much?

https://www.livescience.com/32616-ho...ds-built-.html
                      https://harvardmagazine.com/2003/07/...-pyramids-html
                      https://www.usnews.com/science/artic...build-pyramids

Comment

• Living wage!!
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by arenalife View Post
                          on 2nd thought maybe you were referring to the Canadians who told its players when the NWHL formed that if they played in it they would lose consideration for the national team and didn't even consider paying Americans in the CWHL until the NWHL was formed, and initially weren't going to release Americans from their contract.

so yeah, slaves <-> CWHL, might be a nice analogy

and let's not forget that prior to the WHA and more US ownership, the NHL pretty much treated their players like indentured servants

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                            and let's not forget that prior to the WHA and more US ownership, the NHL pretty much treated their players like indentured servants
                            All sports leagues did that until the Curt Flood case.
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                              All sports leagues did that until the Curt Flood case.
                              With people using arguments against free agency that were remarkably similar to the way they argue against transfers now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                                With people using arguments against free agency that were remarkably similar to the way they argue against transfers now.
                                Yep.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X