Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NWHL Announcement Event On Tuesday In Saint Paul

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Earlier today, the NWHL gave an update on salary info for the league. [Link is to a web page with all the tweets in the thread in 1 place]

Among other notes, they claim a player that signed for $15,000 will receive $18,900 and that number may go up if they can bring in more partnerships.
    Considering that the salary cap is $150,000 for a roster of about 25 players, there aren't a whole lot of them that signed for $15,000.

Comment

Originally posted by arenalife View Post
      I would say "weak". I watched the live streaming of the Dream Gap tour games over the weekend, and a little of the SJ Alum v PWHPA - great looking product. There were multiple camera angles, play by play and color. The games were sellouts (probably didnt seat more than 1,000) and there seemed to be lots of excitement. Hard for me to imagine that the NWHL can match the product on or off the ice.
      Barely 300 people showed up to see the Gophers play the Toronto Aeros on Saturday, which was overcast, cool, and threatening to rain, IOW, a perfect day to watch hockey indoors.
      1500 people showed up to see the Whitecaps play the Gophers on Sunday, not bad considering those people gave up one of the last warm days of the year to sit inside a cold ice arena, in addition to an NFL game going on 5 minutes away. So I guess you could say the Whitecaps drew 1200 people on a day hockey was not on the top of the list for things to do.

If the level of hockey solely determines the interest, both the PWHPA and NWHL are fighting a losing battle. But as can be demonstrated by men’s college hockey and MN HS hockey, it is the competitiveness of the teams and excitement of the game that draws interest.

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
      agreed that the the PA games will be exciting, especially if the rosters are the Olympians.(they are the best of the best)...but if there are 200 girls sitting and the top 20 are playing i am guessing there are some unhappy PA players. Was Kate Leary one of the girls who was boycotting? is this a break in the armour? Loved to watch her at BC.
      the ones not being paid by USA Hockey
      ??
      Last edited by pokechecker; 09-24-2019, 09:39 AM.

Comment

@MnHockeyMag Sunday Fun Day - Minnesota’s first family of women’s hockey takes reunion to the ice. #Gophers #RollCaps Story here: https://t.co/XUovs5Vv7R includes 📸 gallery by @rickolson77 https://t.co/0diCnNHQxb
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The Whitecaps have signed D Yu Baiwei, the Chinese National Team captain who played for the Kunlun Red Star and Vanke Rays in the CWHL.

The Riveters re-signed D Kiira Dodsall for a fifth season with the club.

The league announced the broadcast teams for the Twitch streaming of the games:

Whitecaps: Kelly Schultz, Alexis Pearson

Riveters: Matt Falkenbury, Anya Battaglino

Whale: Phil Giubileo, Erica Ayala

Pride: Sam Fryman, Erica Ayala

Beauts: Steve Bermel, Justen Ehrig

Comment

3 NW teams in action today.... more exciting though is that LIU will play their first ever program game. They take on the Riveters. Rivs and Whale are both currently short on skaters so not sure what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
              Rivs and Whale are both currently short on skaters so not sure what to expect.
              The NWHL is (half) full of teams with relatively no-name players and the PWHPA is (half) full of surname-only teams.
              What’s the end game here?

Comment

“Am I hurting the sport if I choose the N.W.H.L.?”

A tough call all around:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/12/s...l-players.html

Comment

“Enter the Professional Women’s Hockey Players’ Association, which aims to create a professional league that provides livable salaries so its athletes would not need second jobs.”

And how is that working out?

It did not appear to me that the game against the Shark alumni, which was free to attend and the marque event, wasn't very well attended. 2-2.5K would be my guess. The game in Canada couldn’t have shoe horned in 1000 people.

This will all come to a head when the money from USA Hockey ends in a couple years, if not sooner.
                  Anybody know how the Swedish boycott is working out? Anybody care?

My guess is that a re-match of the Finland-USA IHF could have drawn in 10K people over a several city tour, , I know I'd have liked to see it, but that opportunity has passed.

Comment

Former BC star Allie Thunstrom is still "speedy".

https://clips.twitch.tv/ObliviousSwi...um=clips_embed
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I saw on Instagram that reps from the NWHL will ring the Nasdaq opening bell on Monday. Curious to see which, if any, players will be on hand.

Comment

I saw on Instagram that reps from the NWHL will ring the Nasdaq opening bell on Monday. Curious to see which, if any, players will be on hand.
                        How has attendance been for the games? Minnesota always seems to have a good crowd

Comment

• Originally posted by In the blue View Post
                          How has attendance been for the games? Minnesota always seems to have a good crowd
                          In an article by Kyle Rossi yesterday he was at a Beauts game and described it as close to 1000 at the live event. Historically I think Minnesota and Buffalo draw well, Boston really came on end of last year, Whale doesn’t get support and Metro can go either way.

I went on twitch the other day and attempted to stream a past game on my tv. The stream showed it had 212 views. The production was really weak. Pxp and color commentating were good, but the rest was really weak and ultimately unwatchable imo. Sound came in and off due to copyright restrictions for example. The hockey product would have been fine for me, a die hard fan, but the production was bad.

Comment

This is a long essay but it includes the attendance reference I made above. NWHL fans may enjoy this long read by an ACHA fan who is following the ACHA players in the NW. https://clockeyessays.com/2019/12/16/the-pros/

Comment

This sounds like a headline from the Onion. Wall Street is partying, so someone after three scotches or four pints at Faunces Tavern must have said, “Hey, I know a guy who knows a guy who needs somebody to ring the bell Monday. You in?” Run for the hills if they announce an I.P.O.

Comment

Providence alumna Janine Weber is playing for the Whale today on a PTO. She last played in the league in 17-18 for the Pride and was an All Star that season. Her best season with the league was 16-17 when she scored 22 points in 17 games while playing for the Riveters.

The Whale also had 2 defenders playing this weekend on PTOs. Brinna Dochniak (RIT '19) and Laurel Hill (St. Norbert '14) played to help alleviate missing two defenders to injury.

The shorthanded group managed to pick up the Whale's first win, with Dochniak assisting on a Kendra Broad score and Hill skating as both a defender and forward.
                                Last edited by Scott_TG; 01-12-2020, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X