NWHL Announcement Event On Tuesday In Saint Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NWHL Announcement Event On Tuesday In Saint Paul

The release of the event has been out since Friday afternoon but only just saw it (hence, why it's inadvisable to release things on Friday afternoons), but the NWHL announced there will be an 11:30 AM Central luncheon centered around an announcement.

Attendees announced (in order billed on the release):
    -NWHL Commish Dani Rylan
    -NWHL Deputy Commish Hayley Moore
    -Winny Brodt Brown and other representatives of the Minnesota Whitecaps.
    -Amanda Leveille, 2018 NWHL Goalie of the Year [Buffalo] and Minnesota alumna.
    -Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton

Clearly they're announcing #OneLeague

In all seriousness, the Whitecaps joining makes a ton of sense. The NWHL ASG was played out there this past January and it makes sense to have an existing club affiliate with the league as opposed to starting a competing club.
    Last edited by Scott_TG; 05-13-2018, 12:08 AM.

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
    The release of the event has been out since Friday afternoon but only just saw it (hence, why it's inadvisable to release things on Friday afternoons), but the NWHL announced there will be an 11:30 AM Central luncheon centered around an announcement.

-NWHL Commish Dani Rylan

In all seriousness, the Whitecaps joining makes a ton of sense. The NWHL ASG was played out there this past January and it makes sense to have an existing club affiliate with the league as opposed to starting a competing club.
    A better and much more exciting announcement (and the only one that is really going to matter for this league to survive) would be the merger of the NWHL with the CWHL and call the new league the WNHL with the hopes of getting support from the NHL just like the WNBA. Only selfish egos on both sides are preventing the obvious course of action from happening. The CWHL woman is a freaking dinosaur and very self-serving and unfortunately Dani is at risk of being lumped into the same category as her.

Comment

Re: NWHL Announcement Event On Tuesday In Saint Paul

If the Whitecaps are joining the NWHL (and it's pretty obvious that's what the announcement is going to be), travel budgets are going to get interesting, as they will have to fly to all their away games in the northeast. They will get a lot more games on their schedule, and better quality games, too, so that's a plus for them. I read somewhere that the expansion fee for the NWHL is $500,000...I wonder where that's coming from. I bet it isn't Terry Pegula

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
        If the Whitecaps are joining the NWHL (and it's pretty obvious that's what the announcement is going to be), travel budgets are going to get interesting, as they will have to fly to all their away games in the northeast. They will get a lot more games on their schedule, and better quality games, too, so that's a plus for them. I read somewhere that the expansion fee for the NWHL is $500,000...I wonder where that's coming from. I bet it isn't Terry Pegula
        I don't get it. Did I miss something somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
          I don't get it. Did I miss something somewhere?
          The reference to Pegula was just a joke, seeing as he likes to own professional sports teams that include the NWHL Buffalo Beauts (and an NFL team, and an NHL team, and others). I'm surprised he hasn't bought the rest of the NWHL yet, and built them all new arenas (more joking).

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
            The reference to Pegula was just a joke, seeing as he likes to own professional sports teams that include the NWHL Buffalo Beauts (and an NFL team, and an NHL team, and others). I'm surprised he hasn't bought the rest of the NWHL yet, and built them all new arenas (more joking).
            What if TP does do that and relocates the franchises to Michigan in towns such a East Lansing, Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo, Big Rapids, and the Soo?
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

A better and much more exciting announcement (and the only one that is really going to matter for this league to survive) would be the merger of the NWHL with the CWHL and call the new league the WNHL with the hopes of getting support from the NHL just like the WNBA. Only selfish egos on both sides are preventing the obvious course of action from happening.
              I wholeheartedly agree with you that #OneLeague is the way forward. It would work great for the existing clubs, plus Bettman has implied that he's hoping to have the CWHL-NWHL issue resolve itself before the NHL gets involved with women's hockey the way the NBA went in for the WNBA.

They need to merge and fill out some more markets. Pittsburgh, DC, Chicago and Detroit come to mind.

Comment

-NWHL Commish Dani Rylan

So what was the announcement?

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                  So what was the announcement?
                  Announcement is tomorrow. Sorry for omitting the day.

Comment

Announcement is tomorrow. Sorry for omitting the day.
                    No problem and thank you. Only makes sense for a Minnesota team to join the league notwithstanding the budgetary element that could prove to be a challenge.

Comment

The hashtag for the event is #NWHLtoMinnesota.

Comment

The official release is out. The NWHL has "acquired" the Whitecaps. They will compete in the league starting next season.

The league now owns the club. Who owned it prior?
                        Last edited by Scott_TG; 05-15-2018, 11:18 AM.

Comment

The official release is out. The NWHL has "acquired" the Whitecaps. They will compete in the league starting next season.

The league now owns the club. Who owned it prior?
                          From a travel budget point of view it would seem to make more sense to grow the league geographically from east to west by having teams in cities like Detroit, Chicago, Madison or Green Bay, and then the Twin Cities. Obviously the Whitecaps are a pre-existing Club so that makes it easier since they're not starting from scratch.

Comment

From a travel budget point of view...
                            It doesn't make financial sense unless it is subsidized by the NHL
                            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                              It doesn't make financial sense unless it is subsidized by the NHL
                              I agree and I said the same thing before a couple of different times. It's a given that the NWHL and CWHL have to merge at some point sooner than later and get subsidized by the NHL at the same time. I think everybody agrees on that. I'm just adding to that by saying it makes more sense to decrease the travel distances and times by having teams in those other cities.

Comment

Working...
                              X