NWHL Announcement Event On Tuesday In Saint Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NWHL Announcement Event On Tuesday In Saint Paul

"Hi! My name’s Abby/Grace/Cayla/Elizabeth and I get my brats/lutefisk/subs/wings at . . .”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/09/s...alifornia.html

(Maybe NWHL salaries be will redundant in 2023.)

Comment

Dani Rylan: "We're not going anywhere"

While this article is definitely skewed towards Rylan's perspective, it does a good job of summarizing what's happened this summer and the fallout.

Comment

Great article. Interesting. I have wondered all along what the Boycotting players are looking for. You will never find a bigger supporter of women's athletics then me. I went to a Pride game last year before they made the deal with the Bruins. I bought a ticket the day of the game with no issue. You have to have a market. Look what happened to the CWHL and the Boston Womens soccer team the "Breakers". They folded because they didn't have enough money. It almost feels like some of the players have a personal vendatta against Dani Rylan. Hockey careers are limited for men and women....sad to see so many sit out.
        Last edited by MAHOCKEY FAN; 09-11-2019, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Are the boycotting players fighting a battle that has no opponent?

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
            Are the boycotting players fighting a battle that has no opponent?
            I think their real opponent is the person they're carrying water for: Gary Bettman. I think they're being played. If the NHL's proposal that has them all turned against the NWHL is so much better for everyone, then the NHL should move forward with it and the market will decide which league is best. The players will go where they get the best deal and any sponsorship or media rights deals will follow the league with the most stars.

Bettman has the best players in the sport convinced that they should starve the NWHL to death on his behalf. But with no other league to go to once they've done that, how do they hold him to his promises?

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
              Great article. Interesting. I have wondered all along what the Boycotting players are looking for. You will never find a bigger supporter of women's athletics then me. I went to a Pride game last year before they made the deal with the Bruins. I bought a ticket the day of the game with no issue. You have to have a market. Look what happened to the CWHL and the Boston Womens soccer team the "Breakers". They folded because they didn't have enough money. It almost feels like some of the players have a personal vendatta against Dani Rylan. Hockey careers are limited for men and women....sad to see so many sit out.
              Feels like?

Yes, It is both a power struggle and personal.
              Three reasons why there is a war between the Playerz and the NWHL(Rylan):
              1) Originally, the CWHL had Rylan adding another team to the CWHL, instead, Rylan started the NWHL, and to make matter worse, added an NWHL team in Boston.
              2) The NWHL paid its players, eventually forcing the CWHL to pay theirs.
              3) The NWHL cut player’s salaries in half.
              4) The CWHL folds, while the NWHL lives on.
              I said back in 2015 just before the NWHL came online that the players should start their own league. Since revenue likely wouldn’t allow a decent salary, players could earn equity in the league, and perhaps 10 years down the road they’d be looking at a nice profit.
              Starting one now is late on two accounts:
              1) There is an established league to compete with.
              2) They waited too long after the Olympics, timing is everything. People, especially young girls are more interested in futbol.
              It doesn’t mean they will fail, just that the hill is even steeper to climb.

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
              I think their real opponent is the person they're carrying water for: Gary Bettman. I think they're being played. If the NHL's proposal that has them all turned against the NWHL is so much better for everyone, then the NHL should move forward with it and the market will decide which league is best. The players will go where they get the best deal and any sponsorship or media rights deals will follow the league with the most stars.

Bettman has the best players in the sport convinced that they should starve the NWHL to death on his behalf. But with no other league to go to once they've done that, how do they hold him to his promises?
              no, the players have convinced themselves they should starve the NWHL to death.

I’m sorry to hear your daughter spent 15 years preparing for a career that doesn’t exist, perhaps she should have taken classes in a major outside of CLA.

The problem is, you are listening to the fake news, here is what Bittman has said:

“What we have said is, if there’s no opportunity for women to play professional hockey, then we would explore what would make sense or might be appropriate,”

“But by the same token, I didn’t want to be presumptuous or be even bully-like and say we’re going to start a league and put them out of business. I didn’t think that was appropriate. If the NWHL is successful, great. That’s terrific.”

“I’ve told [NWHL Commissioner Dani Rylan] that if she is successful, we will not interfere. But ultimately it’s on her and her investors to either make a go of this or not and it’s up to the players to decide what they want. But if there is a void, then we will focus on what might be appropriate at the time,”

"To me, it's not about an economic opportunity. I don't think anybody will ever get rich, certainly for the foreseeable future, from a women's hockey league. But the opportunities are there to encourage the growth and development of women's hockey at all levels."

the revenue just isn't there for women's pro hockey and adding another league has only returned the players back to where they started, another bad model for a league, and two leagues when there isn't really room for one
              Last edited by pokechecker; 09-18-2019, 09:40 AM.

Comment

The NWHL announced 8 more signings.

The Whitecaps re-sign D Emma Stauber and sign D Rose Alleva (CWHL Vanke Rays), F Nina Rodgers (CT Whale) and F Sam Donovan (CT Whale). The Pride sign F Carlee
                Toews (UNH '18). The Beauts sign F/D Sara Bustad (Minnesota State '18) and The Riveters sign D Cassie Dunne (Penn State ACHA).

The Whale announce that Colton Orr will coach the team this season and Laura Brennan will return as an assistant.

Comment

and the Pride has an owner

https://www.nwhl.zone/news/nwhl-anno...e-boston-pride

With all these 2018 grads, it looks like some of these women are happy to keep playing a game they love and collect a small paycheck.

Comment

The Riveters have signed F Kate Leary (BC '15). Leary led the SWHL in scoring in 18-19 with 61 points in 27 games for Ladies Team Lugano. Prior to crossing over to Europe, Leary played for the Boston Blades of the CWHL for two seasons. Leary is also coaching a Walpole Express junior squad.

Comment

Whitecaps lose to Gophers 5-1 and are outshot 57-12. Not sure what to make of that other than question the calibre of play that will be the NWHL this season.

Comment

Whitecaps lose to Gophers 5-1 and are outshot 57-12. Not sure what to make of that other than question the calibre of play that will be the NWHL this season.
                        Just look down the roster, and you know that the Whitecaps aren't going to be as good as they were last year. That said, it was also clear that the players barely knew each other's names, let alone feeling comfortable playing together. There were two players (#17 and #19) who were in the lineup despite not being listed on the roster, though it's possible that they were just wearing different numbers than they were listed as; Amanda Leveille wore #30 despite being #29 last year and #28 in the program.

Comment

I would say "weak". I watched the live streaming of the Dream Gap tour games over the weekend, and a little of the SJ Alum v PWHPA - great looking product. There were multiple camera angles, play by play and color. The games were sellouts (probably didnt seat more than 1,000) and there seemed to be lots of excitement. Hard for me to imagine that the NWHL can match the product on or off the ice.

Comment

agreed that the the PA games will be exciting, especially if the rosters are the Olympians.(they are the best of the best)...but if there are 200 girls sitting and the top 20 are playing i am guessing there are some unhappy PA players. Was Kate Leary one of the girls who was boycotting? is this a break in the armour? Loved to watch her at BC.

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
                              agreed that the the PA games will be exciting, especially if the rosters are the Olympians.(they are the best of the best)...but if there are 200 girls sitting and the top 20 are playing i am guessing there are some unhappy PA players. Was Kate Leary one of the girls who was boycotting? is this a break in the armour? Loved to watch her at BC.
                              Leary did make multiple tweets in early May with the #ForTheGame boycott hashtag, including:

Last edited by Scott_TG; 09-23-2019, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Earlier today, the NWHL gave an update on salary info for the league. [Link is to a web page with all the tweets in the thread in 1 place]

Among other notes, they claim a player that signed for $15,000 will receive $18,900 and that number may go up if they can bring in more partnerships.
                                Last edited by Scott_TG; 09-23-2019, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X