Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What The Fark 5: I Can't Believe This Happened!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What The Fark 5: I Can't Believe This Happened!

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
    Golf is a game. If golf is a sport so is billiards, and billiards is definitely not a sport.
    I'd argue that golf meets my criteria from my previous post, while billiards does not.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      I'd argue that golf meets my criteria from my previous post, while billiards does not.
      I think most common definitions define sport as anything involving physical exertion and skill done by an individual or team for competition or enjoyment.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        You mean like a hockey game, a football game, a baseball game?
        Don't be dumb. K thanks...

Because you walk further than around a table in between the times you hit a ball?

Comment

Because you walk further than around a table in between the times you hit a ball?
          Because high level golf requires strength, flexibility and precision to play. How strong do you need to be to play pool? How flexible? The golf swing is more athletic than anything in billiards, by a pretty large margin.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Because high level golf requires strength, flexibility and precision to play. How strong do you need to be to play pool? How flexible? The golf swing is more athletic than anything in billiards, by a pretty large margin.
            I would argue that neither golf nor billiards requires much of that to play recreationally. To play professionally, I would say that they both require all of those.

Comment

Stop making stupid posts and I'll stop embarrassing you.

You've fallen into the same trap that as the handful of others who try to make the argument, "golf is not a sport."

It's always the same arguments. You can do it when you're 80. You can do while drinking or smoking. You can be out of shape and still do it. Same nonsense.

Either that, or it's the red herring argument where you try to compare it to billiards, darts, or video games.

Everyone who has tried before you has been steamrolled. Feel free to continue, if you must, but I don't see the point.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Stop making stupid posts and I'll stop embarrassing you.

You've fallen into the same trap that as the handful of others who try to make the argument, "golf is not a sport."

It's always the same arguments. You can do it when you're 80. You can do while drinking or smoking. You can be out of shape and still do it. Same nonsense.

Either that, or it's the red herring argument where you try to compare it to billiards, darts, or video games.

Everyone who has tried before you has been steamrolled. Feel free to continue, if you must, but I don't see the point.
                Golf is not a sport, and just as I am sure it isn't and you are sure it is, there is no definitive answer. You can't steamroll me, because there is no right or wrong answer. It is opinion, plain and simple. Like Brent said, I know a sport when I see one, and to me golf isn't one. Prove me wrong.

Comment

Golf is not a sport, and just as I am sure it isn't and you are sure it is, there is no definitive answer. You can't steamroll me, because there is no right or wrong answer. It is opinion, plain and simple. Like Brent said, I know a sport when I see one, and to me golf isn't one. Prove me wrong.
                  Now you're just being silly. I don't have to prove anything to you.

You have every right to your opinion. You can be of the opinion that Sidney Crosby is one of the ten worst hockey players in the NHL. No one can "prove you wrong" because it's just your opinion. Instead, the rest of us just roll our eyes, like we're doing with your present opinion.

Comment

You have every right to your opinion. You can be of the opinion that Sidney Crosby is one of the ten worst hockey players in the NHL. No one can "prove you wrong" because it's just your opinion. Instead, the rest of us just roll our eyes, like we're doing with your present opinion.
                    So you got nothing is what your saying? If I said Syd was one of the ten worst you could use things like facts to show otherwise, but golf being a sport doesn't have that.

Comment

So you got nothing is what your saying? If I said Syd was one of the ten worst you could use things like facts to show otherwise, but golf being a sport doesn't have that.
                      The definition of sport, as I posted earlier, is an activity involving physical exertion and skill, performed by an individual or team, in a competition or for entertainment.

I assumed you understood enough about golf to realize it falls within that definition. Sorry for granting the benefit of the doubt.

Obviously it involves physical exertion. As I recall, the golf swing involves something like 15-20 individual muscles working in coordination to produce the arc of the golf club to propel the ball forward. This is repeated multiple times over the course of a round.

It goes without saying (or it should) that it requires a degree of skill to perform, and that the more skill you acquire at the sport the higher you will achieve.

Golf is played as both an individual sport (standard golf tournaments) and a team competition (ex: Ryder Cup, President's Cup). It is played for both entertainment and competition.

Comment

The definition of sport, as I posted earlier, is an activity involving physical exertion and skill, performed by an individual or team, in a competition or for entertainment.

I assumed you understood enough about golf to realize it falls within that definition. Sorry for granting the benefit of the doubt.

Obviously it involves physical exertion. As I recall, the golf swing involves something like 15-20 individual muscles working in coordination to produce the arc of the golf club to propel the ball forward. This is repeated multiple times over the course of a round.

It goes without saying (or it should) that it requires a degree of skill to perform, and that the more skill you acquire at the sport the higher you will achieve.

Golf is played as both an individual sport (standard golf tournaments) and a team competition (ex: Ryder Cup, President's Cup). It is played for both entertainment and competition.
                        I think you'd find that most people who say it isn't a sport would question the physical exertion aspect with golf. How much makes it a sport? It's arbitrary. Speed walking requires more than golf, but I'm not calling that a sport either.

Comment

I think you'd find that most people who say it isn't a sport would question the physical exertion aspect with golf. How much makes it a sport? It's arbitrary. Speed walking requires more than golf, but I'm not calling that a sport either.
                          Sure, but the problem those people run into is it's not a defensible argument. What about throwing the javelin, a sport that goes back thousands of years? Does it require more physical exertion than golf? There are a host of other things that no one seems to doubt for an instant that are sports, yet they get bent out of shape about golf because their old man played it every Saturday morning.

Comment

What about baseball, stand there for 3 hrs, action for a few minutes. At least you walk a mile or 2 in golf.
                            Sure, but the problem those people run into is it's not a defensible argument. What about throwing the javelin, a sport that goes back thousands of years? Does it require more physical exertion than golf? There are a host of other things that no one seems to doubt for an instant that are sports, yet they get bent out of shape about golf because their old man played it every Saturday morning.
                            Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I’m deducting points for not working in “well, that’s like, your opinion, man. “

Yeah, except you don’t see John Dalys or even guys who fit the 1990s golf build (or lack thereof). You see ridiculously built athletes like tiger woods, brooks koepka, and Rory mcilroy dominating.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Golf is not a sport? I stopped reading.

Comment

Working...
                                X