Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: What The Fark 5: I Can't Believe This Happened!

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Re: What The Fark 5: I Can't Believe This Happened!

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    It's a game. Not a sport. Again, not taking away the skill needed to perform well, but it's just not a sport.
    so what defines a sport

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    so what defines a sport

Violence?
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    so what defines a sport

I really don't know how to explain it. I really don't. This falls back on the obscenity argument of "I know it when I see it." I will agree it's not the soundest point, it's all a matter of opinion. Therein lies the eternal debate. To some, anything competitive is a sport, even Tiddlywinks. To others, it's only the "Big Four" sports. *shrug*
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I really don't know how to explain it. I really don't. This falls back on the obscenity argument of "I know it when I see it." I will agree it's not the soundest point, it's all a matter of opinion. Therein lies the eternal debate. To some, anything competitive is a sport, even Tiddlywinks. To others, it's only the "Big Four" sports. *shrug*
    I don't think anyone would agree with you regarding golf. In fact, I've never even heard anyone try to make a logical argument that it's not.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I don't think anyone would agree with you regarding golf. In fact, I've never even heard anyone try to make a logical argument that it's not.
    Brent might be the only person in the world with that opinion. I've certainly never seen anyone else trying to make that argument about golf.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Lucia Apologist

From Wikipedia:
    The precise definition of what separates a sport from other leisure activities varies between sources. The closest to an international agreement on a definition is provided by SportAccord, which is the association for all the largest international sports federations (including association football, athletics, cycling, tennis, equestrian sports, and more), and is therefore the de facto representative of international sport.

SportAccord uses the following criteria, determining that a sport should:[1]

• have an element of competition
    • be in no way harmful to any living creature
    • not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football)
    • not rely on any "luck" element specifically designed into the sport.

They also recognise that sport can be primarily physical (such as rugby or athletics), primarily mind (such as chess or Go), predominantly motorised (such as Formula 1 or powerboating), primarily co-ordination (such as billiard sports), or primarily animal-supported (such as equestrian sport).[1]

The inclusion of mind sports within sport definitions has not been universally accepted, leading to legal challenges from governing bodies in regards to being denied funding available to sports.[11] Whilst SportAccord recognises a small number of mind sports, it is not open to admitting any further mind sports.

There has been an increase in the application of the term "sport" to a wider set of non-physical challenges such as video games, also called esports, especially due to the large scale of participation and organised competition, but these are not widely recognised by mainstream sports organisations. According to Council of Europe, European Sports Charter, article 2.i, "'Sport' means all forms of physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim at expressing or improving physical fitness and mental well-being, forming social relationships or obtaining results in competition at all levels."[12]
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    From Wikipedia:
    That definition automatically removes football.

First, it's pretty hard to say football is not harmful to any living creature. Second, it's overtime rules are specifically designed around the luck of a coin flip.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

That definition automatically removes football.

First, it's pretty hard to say football is not harmful to any living creature. Second, it's overtime rules are specifically designed around the luck of a coin flip.
    Yeah, I don't agree with the "not harmful to a living creature" part, I don't see how that has any bearing on whether something is a sport. You could argue that most sports can be harmful to humans at times. Football, Boxing, Hockey, all can be very harmful to humans. Even baseball can be harmful if you get a 100mph fastball thrown towards your head, or a knee to the head ala Justin Morneau.

A sport is a physical activity that is competitive and utilize at least one of the following: strength, speed, agility, flexibility, physical endurance.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Golf is a game. If golf is a sport so is billiards, and billiards is definitely not a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    Golf is a game. If golf is a sport so is billiards, and billiards is definitely not a sport.
    You mean like a hockey game, a football game, a baseball game?

I'd argue that golf meets my criteria from my previous post, while billiards does not.

RIP - Kirby

I'd argue that golf meets my criteria from my previous post, while billiards does not.
    I think most common definitions define sport as anything involving physical exertion and skill done by an individual or team for competition or enjoyment.

You mean like a hockey game, a football game, a baseball game?
    Don't be dumb. K thanks...

Because you walk further than around a table in between the times you hit a ball?

Because you walk further than around a table in between the times you hit a ball?
    Because high level golf requires strength, flexibility and precision to play. How strong do you need to be to play pool? How flexible? The golf swing is more athletic than anything in billiards, by a pretty large margin.

RIP - Kirby

Because high level golf requires strength, flexibility and precision to play. How strong do you need to be to play pool? How flexible? The golf swing is more athletic than anything in billiards, by a pretty large margin.
    I would argue that neither golf nor billiards requires much of that to play recreationally. To play professionally, I would say that they both require all of those.

Stop making stupid posts and I'll stop embarrassing you.

You've fallen into the same trap that as the handful of others who try to make the argument, "golf is not a sport."

It's always the same arguments. You can do it when you're 80. You can do while drinking or smoking. You can be out of shape and still do it. Same nonsense.

Either that, or it's the red herring argument where you try to compare it to billiards, darts, or video games.

Everyone who has tried before you has been steamrolled. Feel free to continue, if you must, but I don't see the point.

Stop making stupid posts and I'll stop embarrassing you.

You've fallen into the same trap that as the handful of others who try to make the argument, "golf is not a sport."

It's always the same arguments. You can do it when you're 80. You can do while drinking or smoking. You can be out of shape and still do it. Same nonsense.

Either that, or it's the red herring argument where you try to compare it to billiards, darts, or video games.

Everyone who has tried before you has been steamrolled. Feel free to continue, if you must, but I don't see the point.
    Golf is not a sport, and just as I am sure it isn't and you are sure it is, there is no definitive answer. You can't steamroll me, because there is no right or wrong answer. It is opinion, plain and simple. Like Brent said, I know a sport when I see one, and to me golf isn't one. Prove me wrong.

Golf is not a sport, and just as I am sure it isn't and you are sure it is, there is no definitive answer. You can't steamroll me, because there is no right or wrong answer. It is opinion, plain and simple. Like Brent said, I know a sport when I see one, and to me golf isn't one. Prove me wrong.
    Now you're just being silly. I don't have to prove anything to you.

You have every right to your opinion. You can be of the opinion that Sidney Crosby is one of the ten worst hockey players in the NHL. No one can "prove you wrong" because it's just your opinion. Instead, the rest of us just roll our eyes, like we're doing with your present opinion.

Now you're just being silly. I don't have to prove anything to you.

You have every right to your opinion. You can be of the opinion that Sidney Crosby is one of the ten worst hockey players in the NHL. No one can "prove you wrong" because it's just your opinion. Instead, the rest of us just roll our eyes, like we're doing with your present opinion.
    So you got nothing is what your saying? If I said Syd was one of the ten worst you could use things like facts to show otherwise, but golf being a sport doesn't have that.

So you got nothing is what your saying? If I said Syd was one of the ten worst you could use things like facts to show otherwise, but golf being a sport doesn't have that.
    The definition of sport, as I posted earlier, is an activity involving physical exertion and skill, performed by an individual or team, in a competition or for entertainment.

I assumed you understood enough about golf to realize it falls within that definition. Sorry for granting the benefit of the doubt.

Obviously it involves physical exertion. As I recall, the golf swing involves something like 15-20 individual muscles working in coordination to produce the arc of the golf club to propel the ball forward. This is repeated multiple times over the course of a round.

It goes without saying (or it should) that it requires a degree of skill to perform, and that the more skill you acquire at the sport the higher you will achieve.

Golf is played as both an individual sport (standard golf tournaments) and a team competition (ex: Ryder Cup, President's Cup). It is played for both entertainment and competition.

Thread Information