Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    When a Catholic priest dies, the assets of that priest are not handed over to the Church as a matter rule. While many of them do give the monetary assets to the Church, not all do. Some give it to extended family - nieces and nephews, bast-ard children, and so on. My fiancée's priest who passed away willed his money to a religiously affiliated charity, but not to the Church itself.
    WHen they first decided priests couldn'tbe married one of the motivators was supposedly that the property (lands) went to family- wife and kids). No family, no property leaving church.

Went down the rabbit hole one evening following church history re Popes, cardinals, how the system works. Until late 1800s the Pope was the head of the council but not infallible, he was mouthpiece but supposedly not the only way things could get done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    For the post graduates believing religion is not important...there are about 2.5x as many that believe it is very important. Another way to look at that...support for Donald Trump is a measly 42% but that's twice the rate of those believing religion is not very important.

Pretty impressive...thanks for that.
    Go Gophers!

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    For the post graduates believing religion is not important...there are about 2.5x as many that believe it is very important. Another way to look at that...support for Donald Trump is a measly 42% but that's twice the rate of those believing religion is not very important.

Pretty impressive...thanks for that.
    Those post graduates include a lot of MBA degrees. Just saying.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Lucia Apologist

🤣

And the balance of society rates religion as even more highly important.

It appears your argument works against your point.
    Go Gophers!

Roughly half of all people have below average intelligence, and average ain't exactly great.

wubba lubba dub dub

Yes, people with less education are more likely to believe in the supernatural ghosts and zombies. Consider me surprised.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Roughly half of all people have below average intelligence, and average ain't exactly great.
    80% say its at least fairly important. Not average by any math I know.

Yes, people with less education are more likely to believe in the supernatural ghosts and zombies. Consider me surprised.
    And college grads are right in the pack. What's wrong with them?

As can clear, logical, secular humanist thinking.
    Are you referring to thinking such as that above?
    Go Gophers!

wubba lubba dub dub

Holding a majority opinion doesn't make one right. It just means more people agree with you. Congratulations on most people being wrong.

Also, saying something is fairly important doesn't mean you're in agreement, it can mean a variety of things. I think religion is at least fairly important because if I were to go around badmouthing Zombie Jesus to the masses, I wouldn't make very many friends in this country, would I?

The plural of anecdote is not data

Depending on the skew of the distribution it could very well be average...but then again...that is an early lesson in statistics
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Are the previous arguments really worth abandoning?

Holding a majority opinion doesn't make one right. It just means more people agree with you. Congratulations on most people being wrong.
    Trying to track with this new line of reasoning...

Your new claim is that religion is not important in society? What facts can you provide that outweigh 80% of society saying it is?
    Go Gophers!

Do we even consider business degrees to be college degrees, let alone post-graduate?

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

wubba lubba dub dub

Are the previous arguments really worth abandoning?

Trying to track with this new line of reasoning...

Your new claim is that religion is not important in society? What facts can you provide that outweigh 80% of society saying it is?
    I'm confused at your confusion.
    1) I said that holding a majority opinion does not make your opinion correct. The majority of people believe in magic from a deity that likes to occasionally commit genocide in the name of love( ). I say they were stories told to keep the natives in line, giving them hope, and tricking them into making more little people so that their tribe could grow to, hopefully, someday become the dominant force in their known world.

2 (from another post) ) Saying religion is important isn't the same as claiming adherence to it. I'm not an adherent to any religion, but I'm also not going out into public to profane anybody's invisible friend - I save that for this place. Why? Because I don't see a need to rile up the average dunderheads who might be willing to bomb me, or shoot me, or torch a small wooden structure in effigy that sits upon my front lawn, or hang me. So I would answer that religion is important to me - because of the irrationality of others. I'm not alone in this line of thinking, and therefore I don't believe that the 80% figure is adherence to a religion. There's a group of people who simply recognize its misplaced importance in the lives of others, and therefore call it a significant force in society.

I'm confused at your confusion.
    1) I said that holding a majority opinion does not make your opinion correct. The majority of people believe in magic from a deity that likes to occasionally commit genocide in the name of love( ). I say they were stories told to keep the natives in line, giving them hope, and tricking them into making more little people so that their tribe could grow to, hopefully, someday become the dominant force in their known world.
    I'm not wasting my time addressing the 'just because the majority thinks its right, doesn't make its true' comment...as I didn't the first time.

2 (from another post) ) Saying religion is important isn't the same as claiming adherence to it.
    Who said anything about adherence?

You said:

This in reference to a poll and commentary saying 80% call 'religion important'. So it appears your position is that religion is not really important in society.

So I would answer that religion is important to me - because of the irrationality of others. I'm not alone in this line of thinking, and therefore I don't believe that the 80% figure is adherence to a religion. There's a group of people who simply recognize its misplaced importance in the lives of others, and therefore call it a significant force in society.
    So then you agree...religion is important. Well that was a lot of work.
    Go Gophers!

wubba lubba dub dub

So ala carte Christianity goes hand in hand with ala carte reading comprehension. So much for that, Mr. Magoo.

Lucia Apologist

Remind me to never p-ss you off.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Do we even consider business degrees to be college degrees, let alone post-graduate?

Blanket scientist is potential broad.

As in hoping sociologist isn’t included

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Blanket scientist is potential broad.

As in hoping sociologist isn’t included
    Sociologists would be included in the red column -- we all pray to either Durkheim, Marx, or Weber.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

A Jesuit is unhappy with Dumpy.

Naked cruelty, sheer stupidity and gross incompetence lead to the disgraceful mistreatment of these children. We treat our pets better than this. But that's no surprise: migrants and refugees have for so long been described as animals. The sin here is immense.

Here we see the malign effects of such a grave grave sin. Motivated by selfishness (Go back where you came from!), magnified by cruelty (They got what's coming to them!), cloaked in lies (We didn't say that!), we see the results: physical suffering, misery, confusion, despair.

And, finally, people refusing to take responsibility, denying complicity and passing on blame, completes the portrait of sin. But all involved in this--from the president to those who are taking children away from their parents--are cooperating in evil.

Until the last child is returned to his or her parents, the sin will remain. Even then, all those involved in this will have to beg forgiveness from God. Because in the fullness of time, the ones in trouble will not be the migrants. It will be those who sinned against them.
    I have no doubt our conservative Catholic posters will renounce their support for Dump and the GOP in order to reassert their belief in justice, kindness, morality, and Christian virtues.
    Last edited by Kepler; 06-21-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

A Jesuit is unhappy with Dumpy.

I have no doubt our conservative Catholic posters will renounce their support for Dump and the GOP in order to reassert their belief in justice, kindness, morality, and Christian virtues.
    What the Jesuit has said is unimportant and we do not hear his words.

Thread Information