X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    mookie has never eaten bigot.... is it tasty?
    Wouldn't think so, but you never know.

Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Fair point.
      No it’s not. The best way, and you said this about Milo not too long ago, is to bleach it with sunshine. Worked for him.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        No it’s not. The best way, and you said this about Milo not too long ago, is to bleach it with sunshine. Worked for him.
        But Huckadope isn't like the neo-Nazis. He's not some shower scum that survives in the corner away from sunlight. He espouses a full-throated, widely and wildly popular idiocy that derives from the brain capacity of 2 out of 5 Americans (well, humans) being indistinguishable from that of pinking shears.

Those morons are always going to be stuck in that Messianic mud. It's where the great unwashed have lived for the last 10,000 years -- they are unchanged whether found on the Steppe, the Ganges, or the Walmart.

They'll always be there whatever we do, so just turn the TV off on them.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
          And yes, 5mn, Christians do good. But my advice is to read outside of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John (and duck), and realize that everyone's sh-t does indeed stink.
          Of course and I freely admit it again now. But this is a thread on religion. I happen to think it can also use at least one person to discuss what faith is actually doing in society.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            Of course and I freely admit it again now. But this is a thread on religion. I happen to think it can also use at least one person to discuss what faith is actually doing in society.
            Yes, but the Bible I read says "let's not go bragging that you did something good... The Pharisees make a huge show of it, and in truth, they've already received their reward." (something like that)

What I'm simply saying is let the act speak for itself. God saw it, right? No need to go on bragging about it, because in the end, the attention we get from speaking of our good deeds will be our only reward.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

The body is failing, but the mind is still sharp.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/n...al-abuse-59639
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                The body is failing, but the mind is still sharp.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/n...al-abuse-59639
                The ultimate Cafeteria Catholic: picks which Pope to pay attention to.
                Cornell University

Comment

Allow me to summarize it, for the folks short on time:

1. Secular liberals are to blame for teaching people to, you know, live their personal lives as normal human beings with real human emotions. This apparently somehow included the normalization of pedophilia, though unsurprisingly His Worshipfulness fails to elaborate further on that falsehood.
                  2. Blah blah blah moral relativism. AKA people saw us for the bigoted, backwards organization of bitter old cranks that we are and decided we didn't have all the answers, and that they could think for themselves. Boo freakin' hoo.
                  3. Horny young dudes holed up in seminaries with no access to women still did plenty of horny young dude things, usually with the knowledge of leadership
                  4. The Vatican sent investigators to report on the above, but they were largely stonewalled by the leadership of the Church in America, making sure everyone kept their jobs
                  4.5 BTW, my books were shadowbanned in seminaries back in the 70s for being too conservative, and I'm still butthurt about it, so I thought I'd mention it as an aside (this was hilarious )
                  5. We came up with a legal process which would've, in theory, brought justice to the accused and thrown the guilty out of the priesthood. However, since the abuses were largely hidden, it was basically just farting in the wind.
                  6. Gotta get in a quick dig at the Protestants, hehehe sick burn ("Perhaps we should create another Church for things to work out? Well, that experiment has already been undertaken and has already failed.")
                  7. Society needs God, freedumb requires faith, people need God to have purpose in life, yadda yadda yadda
                  8. In conclusion, of course, nonbelievers are the reason pedophilia exists. *golf clap* for that hot take, Darth Benedict!

My top takeaway from that overlong, pseudo-theological argle-bargle:

Among the freedoms that the Revolution of 1968 sought to fight for was this all-out sexual freedom, one which no longer conceded any norms.

The mental collapse was also linked to a propensity for violence. That is why sex films were no longer allowed on airplanes because violence would break out among the small community of passengers.
                  They used to show dirty movies on airplanes?
                  Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 04-10-2019, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                    Yes, but the Bible I read says "let's not go bragging that you did something good... The Pharisees make a huge show of it, and in truth, they've already received their reward." (something like that)

What I'm simply saying is let the act speak for itself. God saw it, right? No need to go on bragging about it, because in the end, the attention we get from speaking of our good deeds will be our only reward.
                    Great question. My faith is well developed and I take this seriously. This speaks to some of it... 1) My faith is about the impact of the Bible. God is meaningless unless defined...and God is love. No really. 'Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.' And what better way to speak of this faith than to show Her/His real world manifestations of love. And 2) IMO there's importance to going 'into all the world and preaching the Good News to everyone.' So how can I communicate 'the Good News' here without it being considered bragging? Also, what kind of Christian would I be if I didn't at least offer these alternative points of view?
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Great question. My faith is well developed and I take this seriously. This speaks to some of it... 1) My faith is about the impact of the Bible. God is meaningless unless defined...and God is love. No really. 'Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.' And what better way to speak of this faith than to show Her/His real world manifestations of love. And 2) IMO there's importance to going 'into all the world and preaching the Good News to everyone.' So how can I communicate 'the Good News' here without it being considered bragging? Also, what kind of Christian would I be if I didn't at least offer these alternative points of view?
                      The distinction you seem either confused about or willfully ignorant of is the following:

Assertion 1: God is a way to love.
                      Great! A+. We're all with you!

Assertion 2: God is the only way to love.
                      No. You're an idiot. Go away.

Get it?
                      Cornell University

Comment

So how can I communicate 'the Good News' here without it being considered bragging?
                        I can envision a billion ways to do this. The fact that not a single one of them occurs to you speaks volumes.
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

The distinction you seem either confused about or willfully ignorant of is the following:

Great! A+. We're all with you!

No. You're an idiot. Go away.

Get it?
                          I honestly don't know and would/could not answer either way.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

I honestly don't know and would/could not answer either way.
                            OK, that's a fair answer. I would only say to you to open your eyes. You are surrounded in the world -- even here in this little corner of the world -- by people who are good and do good and do it without the slightest regard for your particular path. How then can you think that no, that's not really correct, there really is only one path? That's the point where I want to reach through the wires and whisper to you, "get out of your own f-cking head." You aren't participating in the world when you recycle that dogma. You're just saying "yay, team!" OT God was all about yay team. NT god is saying, "f-ck it, let's do some good in the world and don't worry about the old rules."

What else is the new dispensation but "you've climbed the ladder, now it's just in your way"?
                            Cornell University

Comment

OK, that's a fair answer. I would only say to you to open your eyes. You are surrounded in the world -- even here in this little corner of the world -- by people who are good and do good and do it without the slightest regard for your particular path. How then can you think that no, that's not really correct, there really is only one path? That's the point where I want to reach through the wires and whisper to you, "get out of your own f-cking head." You aren't participating in the world when you recycle that dogma. You're just saying "yay, team!" OT God was all about yay team. NT god is saying, "f-ck it, let's do some good in the world and don't worry about the old rules."
                              You appear to either misunderstand or mischaracterize me frequently.

Here again is what I do believe: everyone is capable of doing good and I applaud everyone who does good. But I believe faith based (including Christian) activities just position and motivate one better than say watching television. Here's an example of faith directly resulting in amazing societal outcomes:

More than 70 years ago, Danny Thomas, then a struggling young entertainer with a baby on the way, visited a Detroit church and was so moved during the Mass, he placed his last $7 in the collection box. When he realized what he’d done, Danny prayed for a way to pay the looming hospital bills. The next day, he was offered a small part that would pay 10 times the amount he’d given to the church.

Two years later, Danny had achieved moderate acting success in Detroit, but he was struggling to take his career to the next level. Once again, he turned to the church. Praying to St. Jude Thaddeus, the patron saint of hopeless causes, Danny asked the saint to “help me find my way in life, and I will build you a shrine.” His career took a turn for the better, and soon he moved his family to Chicago to pursue career offers. A few years later, at another turning point in his life, Danny visited a church and remembered his pledge to St. Jude. Again he prayed to St. Jude and repeated his pledge to build a shrine to the saint if he would show him the way. In the years that followed, Danny's career flourished through films and television, and he became an internationally known entertainer. He remembered his pledge to build a shrine to St. Jude.

In the early 1950s, Danny began discussing with friends what concrete form his vow might take. Gradually, the idea of a children’s hospital, possibly in Memphis, Tennessee, took shape. In 1955, Danny Thomas and a group of Memphis businessmen who had agreed to help support his dream seized on the idea of creating a unique research hospital devoted to curing catastrophic diseases in children. More than just a treatment facility, this would be a research center for the children of the world.

https://www.stjude.org/directory/t/danny-thomas.html

Although I might hear you be disturbed by 'Thomas' obsession with God' but what really matters is that Thomas' moral platform resulted in St. Jude Medical Foundation and an incredible number of lives have been saved as a result. Everyone can do good, but faith activities just motivate and position one better.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Although I might hear you be disturbed by 'Thomas' obsession with God' but what really matters is that Thomas' moral platform resulted in St. Jude Medical Foundation and an incredible number of lives have been saved as a result. Everyone can do good, but faith activities just motivate and position one better.
                                I'm sorry but you keep missing the point so I must be explaining really badly. I Do Not Care about what motivated Danny Thomas to do good. He did good. That is what matters.

If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid, or because you're not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear, then you are.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 04-11-2019, 12:09 PM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X