• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

McCarrick has been defrocked.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/16/69542...-eygcWNz9OfFuA
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

One down, and likely hundreds of others who should get the boot, but instead will just be cloistered for life.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        but instead will just be cloistered for life.
        Which was, after all, the original idea.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Catholic group calling for the shutdown of a Minneapolis Catholic Church for welcoming gay parishioners.

So weird how the church is struggling to attract members.

http://www.complicitclergy.com/2019/...-this-picture/

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
            Catholic group calling for the shutdown of a Minneapolis Catholic Church for welcoming gay parishioners.

Calling for policies that will reduce the amount of money in the collection basket to own the libs.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

This was specifically referenced during the homily at the local parish. The priest was clearly showing his contempt of the LGBTQ people, and I couldn't help but think that it was another reason why I'm there only as an observer rather than a parishioner. I understand that the Church has rules set in place, and these people were not within those guidelines, and the focus of this week was that people who are true to the Church's convictions and teachings would be glorified in Heaven, regardless of whether or not they're popular with the rest of the world. These men, according to the priest, were more in line with the rest of the world than the Church. Kudos to them? I don't know, but I think like the couple should have transitioned to another denomination because most Catholic churches are not welcoming.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                This was specifically referenced during the homily at the local parish. The priest was clearly showing his contempt of the LGBTQ people, and I couldn't help but think that it was another reason why I'm there only as an observer rather than a parishioner. I understand that the Church has rules set in place, and these people were not within those guidelines, and the focus of this week was that people who are true to the Church's convictions and teachings would be glorified in Heaven, regardless of whether or not they're popular with the rest of the world. These men, according to the priest, were more in line with the rest of the world than the Church. Kudos to them? I don't know, but I think like the couple should have transitioned to another denomination because most Catholic churches are not welcoming.
                How does this jive with the teachings of Jesus If you were to extrapolate then He shouldn't have consorted, broken bread with the people He did to make the very point that you shouldn't exclude the undesirables

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  How does this jive with the teachings of Jesus If you were to extrapolate then He shouldn't have consorted, broken bread with the people He did to make the very point that you shouldn't exclude the undesirables
                  Part of the video, the two men with the child said that Jesus had two fathers, and it worked out pretty well for him. The majority of Catholic priests in the area didn't take kindly to that statement, saying it mocked Joey's role as a foster father to Jesus (noted: the term step-father was avoided) while God watched his son from the sidelines.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    Part of the video, the two men with the child said that Jesus had two fathers, and it worked out pretty well for him. The majority of Catholic priests in the area didn't take kindly to that statement, saying it mocked Joey's role as a foster father to Jesus (noted: the term step-father was avoided) while God watched his son from the sidelines.
                    Sounds like this is the BS that Jesus preached against. Why would anyone care about stuff like that. They should be paying attention to what He did, said to do, not obsess about human constructs

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                      Sounds like this is the BS that Jesus preached against. Why would anyone care about stuff like that. They should be paying attention to what He did, said to do, not obsess about human constructs
                      The Gospels are a painting, not a photograph. Some people get that. Others do not.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

No wonder Methodists are desired by Hedley Lamarr. They rejected a proposal to allow same-sex clergy and same-sex marriage at their general conference.
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                          No wonder Methodists are desired by Hedley Lamarr. They rejected a proposal to allow same-sex clergy and same-sex marriage at their general conference.
                          Unsurprisingly, the African leaders put the "no" vote over the top. It will be OK, there was a separate vote which will allow UMC churches who disagree to leave with their property, and that will lead to an inevitable east/west schism.

For all the complaints about bigoted white people (many of which are valid), their homophobia pales in comparison to religious Africans, Chinese, and Indians (dot not feather).

Comment

Won't be the first time Methodisn has split due to bigotry. Once they let go of this one (in another 100 years), it will be the RMC - the Reunited Methodist Church.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I have some friends in the UMC, and they talked to me about their church leaving the denomination today.

On another note, I still find it hard to believe I went from "never again" to planning a confirmation service with several of my chosen family wanting to show up.

Comment

Talked with Rev. Jen at Grace Episcopal yesterday. This is what we're going to do:

Confirmation has to be done by the bishop, and I need to take classes every week for a few months before that service happens, which won't be until November.

BUT, and this is AWESOME, we're going to do a Service of Renaming on April 3 at 5:30 PM, with going out to dinner afterward. There will be some readings, and I will receive a special blessing as Amber Marie (with Jen and others laying their hands on me). There might be some music, too.

As a side note, this service was created by Trans Episcopal, a trans group within the Episcopal Church.

Comment

Working...
                                X