Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930

Thread: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

wubba lubba dub dub

Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    There's a bit in the Bible about how one should not think of themselves more highly than they ought.

The Catholic church still thinks it's the main thing.
    Meh. Show me a religion that doesn't think it's the main thing. (You can't - every devout follower of any religion think that their religion is the one true way.)
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    There's a bit in the Bible about how one should not think of themselves more highly than they ought.

The Catholic church still thinks it's the main thing.
    So does every organized religion. That's a knock on religion as a whole, not Catholicism specifically.

Don't agree- Unitarians think all religions might have a valid point.

Personally I am less sure that I am right about everything. That is the leap of faith part. I could be wrong, organized religion could have missed the point. I can only do the best I can at doing what is right. I often think how perverted our practice of religion is. Early churches were small, personal and over the house table. People had leaders but relied on each other. The larger things have gotten, the more rigid, ritualistic and focused on minutiae it gets. It seems to lose focus on the message and is more focused on the minutiae that differentiates it from other sects. Just what we are NOT supposed to be doing.

The organized part gives a structure but it shouldn't get in the way of what it is all about.

I don't hyperlink very well, so here's the cover pitch for the Free Thinkers Congregation we brought our children to while they were growing up. UU with a twist.

Welcome to the Free Congregation of Sauk County

We are a religious community made up of people from diverse backgrounds and different faith traditions who have chosen to embrace some common principles, among them the freedom to engage in our own personal search for truth and meaning.

We require of no one a profession of theological belief or disbelief; rather, we seek to continually examine and clarify our basic principles and world views.

We view religion as a question to be explored rather than as an answer to be received or revealed.

We believe that ethical behavior and action is the only reasonable course for humans to pursue; consistent with that belief, we are united in our conviction that only by helping others and seeking to improve the world can we realize our full humanity.

Our open approach to religion follows from our unique weaving of two liberal religious traditions. This weaving is always in process; we are an evolving religious community, and our emphasis and interests change over the years.

We are a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship. We belong to the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA), a liberal religious organization dedicated to a non-dogmatic approach to religion. Our congregation affirms the seven principles of the Unitarian Universalist Association

The inherent worth and dignity of every person
    Justice, equality and compassion in human relations
    Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations
    A free and responsible search for meaning
    The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large.
    The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all.
    Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

We are a Free Thought congregation with origins in the German Freie Gemeinden (‘free congregations’ or ‘free societies’). When liberal reform efforts, both political and religious, failed in Germany after 1848, German liberals immigrated to the United States where they founded numerous free thought societies and congregations, most of them in the northeast and upper mid-west. One such German liberal, Eduard Schroeter, helped to found this congregation in 1852 and became its first Speaker (leader and teacher). Ours is the last remaining Free Congregation in North America.

Our commitment to the Freie Gemeinde tradition is reflected in our First Sunday (Spiritual Reflection Hour) and Third Sunday (Free Thought Forum) programs.

A picture of Thomas Paine hangs in place of the iconic California hippie dude Jesus you see in so many protestant churches, including the Lutheran church I grew up in.
    Last edited by burd; 02-10-2019 at 09:58 PM.

THat is cool!

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

One down, and likely hundreds of others who should get the boot, but instead will just be cloistered for life.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    but instead will just be cloistered for life.
    Which was, after all, the original idea.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Catholic group calling for the shutdown of a Minneapolis Catholic Church for welcoming gay parishioners.

So weird how the church is struggling to attract members.

https://www.complicitclergy.com/2019/...-this-picture/

Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Catholic group calling for the shutdown of a Minneapolis Catholic Church for welcoming gay parishioners.

Calling for policies that will reduce the amount of money in the collection basket to own the libs.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

This was specifically referenced during the homily at the local parish. The priest was clearly showing his contempt of the LGBTQ people, and I couldn't help but think that it was another reason why I'm there only as an observer rather than a parishioner. I understand that the Church has rules set in place, and these people were not within those guidelines, and the focus of this week was that people who are true to the Church's convictions and teachings would be glorified in Heaven, regardless of whether or not they're popular with the rest of the world. These men, according to the priest, were more in line with the rest of the world than the Church. Kudos to them? I don't know, but I think like the couple should have transitioned to another denomination because most Catholic churches are not welcoming.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    This was specifically referenced during the homily at the local parish. The priest was clearly showing his contempt of the LGBTQ people, and I couldn't help but think that it was another reason why I'm there only as an observer rather than a parishioner. I understand that the Church has rules set in place, and these people were not within those guidelines, and the focus of this week was that people who are true to the Church's convictions and teachings would be glorified in Heaven, regardless of whether or not they're popular with the rest of the world. These men, according to the priest, were more in line with the rest of the world than the Church. Kudos to them? I don't know, but I think like the couple should have transitioned to another denomination because most Catholic churches are not welcoming.
    How does this jive with the teachings of Jesus If you were to extrapolate then He shouldn't have consorted, broken bread with the people He did to make the very point that you shouldn't exclude the undesirables

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    How does this jive with the teachings of Jesus If you were to extrapolate then He shouldn't have consorted, broken bread with the people He did to make the very point that you shouldn't exclude the undesirables
    Part of the video, the two men with the child said that Jesus had two fathers, and it worked out pretty well for him. The majority of Catholic priests in the area didn't take kindly to that statement, saying it mocked Joey's role as a foster father to Jesus (noted: the term step-father was avoided) while God watched his son from the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Part of the video, the two men with the child said that Jesus had two fathers, and it worked out pretty well for him. The majority of Catholic priests in the area didn't take kindly to that statement, saying it mocked Joey's role as a foster father to Jesus (noted: the term step-father was avoided) while God watched his son from the sidelines.
    Sounds like this is the BS that Jesus preached against. Why would anyone care about stuff like that. They should be paying attention to what He did, said to do, not obsess about human constructs

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Sounds like this is the BS that Jesus preached against. Why would anyone care about stuff like that. They should be paying attention to what He did, said to do, not obsess about human constructs
    The Gospels are a painting, not a photograph. Some people get that. Others do not.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Thread Information