X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Nice to be in a place where the attitude is far from "Thoughts and Prayers and Jesus Will Fix It."

And I just filled out the membership form for that place tonight.
    Just saw the old Poseidon Adventure again. The movie is actually a statement on 'thoughts and prayers'.

Although a believer in God, Hackman was a rebellious priest who was kicked out of the church for speaking out against 'praying' as opposed to a second priest. The second priest appreciated Hackman's views but felt that prayer was important. The broader point of Hackman's character was not really about the act of prayer...but rather you should take matters into your own hands rather than strictly have 'hopes and prayers'.

As the ship is sinking, Hackman seizes control of the situation and leads a helpless group to safety. The other priest stays with those unwilling or unable to take a chance and buck the recommendations of the ships second in command. Hackman's role of helping others by taking charge is obviously elevated, but so is that of the second priest as a duty to help those in need.

Old movies can be pretty stellar.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Thoughts and prayers are useless without decisive action following.

Imagine if Moses had told the Jews "thoughts and prayers" at the Red Sea. If Jesus had told the 5,000 "thoughts and prayers." If the Apostles had told the beggar at the temple "thoughts and prayers" as they just walked on by.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Happy Hanukkah, everyone.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          Happy Hanukkah, everyone.
          Indeed!
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by DynastyUdude
            What would those things be FadeToBlack&Gold, that you think we should not have to do? But yes, IF, and that is a big if, but if there is proof that mistranslations have misled people in regards to any law or instruction or commandment, research should be done to find the proper meaning so that the proper actions to be taken can be known. But I doubt that there are many examples of this. Most of the mistranslations can be found to be things involving doctrines that were being argued about. But a good understanding of the Old Testament's teachings usually lead intelligent truth seekers to the truth. Problem is most people are sheep that put too much trust in their shepards.
            Wow. Reading that is like watching a 1/4 horse trim router trying to turn a raised panel bit.

Comment

What would those things be FadeToBlack&Gold, that you think we should not have to do? But yes, IF, and that is a big if, but if there is proof that mistranslations have misled people in regards to any law or instruction or commandment, research should be done to find the proper meaning so that the proper actions to be taken can be known. But I doubt that there are many examples of this. Most of the mistranslations can be found to be things involving doctrines that were being argued about. But a good understanding of the Old Testament's teachings usually lead intelligent truth seekers to the truth. Problem is most people are sheep that put too much trust in their shepards.
              Unless you are able to read a number of languages this is difficult. Had a protracted discussion with someone a few months ago about this. He also claimed that intelligent truth seekers would know the path. He was unable to tell me how he knew the path when he was not personally translating the Scripture. He told me he prayed for discernment and knew most people were mislead by 'liberal' Pastors. His views were... extreme. I still do not know how he had an ability to discern the truth relying on prayer when I could pray about something and have a completely different view. No human, no matter how astute, can say with surety they know exactly what God wants. They can hope they are right but that's about it.

Curious how the OT will cause so much enlightenment and not the NT.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                He also claimed that intelligent truth seekers would know the path. He was unable to tell me how he knew the path when he was not personally translating the Scripture. He told me he prayed for discernment and knew most people were mislead by 'liberal' Pastors. His views were... extreme. I still do not know how he had an ability to discern the truth relying on prayer when I could pray about something and have a completely different view.
                He felt it in his gut. Good enough for most of the religious right.

Comment

• Originally posted by DynastyUdude
                  I'm not apart of the religious right Fade.
                  . Fred’s too stupid I realize what he did there.

Comment

Didn't say the NT wouldn't cause enlightenment, was just trying to point out that the NT by itself, without a good knowledge of the OT, can more easily be misinterpreted. Do you know how much the OT is quoted in the New? Everything written in the NT is based on the OT.

And I, personally, think the Bible is both very easy to understand, while also having alot of complexity to it. But I don't think the complexity has to be a stumbling block or an obstacle preventing people from understanding it. I think the complexity is simply a way for humans to continue to progress in depth of understanding, and some of the complex things of the Bible are simply more complex ways of saying the same things the simple things get across.

An example would be looking at the meanings of the individual letters that make up the words in the Bible. Hidden meanings can be found. Not revealing things otherwise unknown, but simply confirming what is already known, for the most part.

Another example would be how the Messiah pointed out how all of the law can be summed up in the 2 great commandments, to love God and to love our neighbor. Every one of the Ten Commandments can be seen to be just a more precise way of saying, love God and love your neighbor. Same with the 613 Mosaic Laws, they are all just more precise ways of showing love to God and/or our neighbors.
                    OK, I can get that. We had an Intern who was a Jewish convert. He was fascinating to listen to. The Bible was written by Jews for Jews. Christ was not trying to start something new but to enlighten those who lost their way. There is a lot of Jewish symbolism in both OT and NT. THis guy did a great job of pointing it out. That gave all sorts of depth to what we were reading. Also at the time they didn't tell a story to be literal but to get the point across. That is why there are so many different versions of what happened in Genesis.

Someone just gave me this book- sounds interesting- Reading the Bible Again For the First Time- by Marcus Borg. Haven't started it yet. From the write up. [Many mistakenly believe there are no choices other than fundamentalism or simply rejecting the Bible as something that can bring meaning to our lives. Answering this modern dilemma, acclaimed author Marcus Borg reveals how it is possible to reconcile the Bible with both a scientific and critical way of thinking and our deepest spiritual needs, leading to a contemporary yet grounded experience of the sacred texts.]

Grew up a Unitarian so comparative religion always fascinates me

Comment

Honestly burd, why do you think I am stupid?
                      I think that based upon what you write here.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        I think that based upon what you write here.
                        Is there some sort of background here I am missing?

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          Is there some sort of background here I am missing?
                          Look through the POTUS thread, and a few others. Then look at the posts quoting him, because his posts have since been deleted by board.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Why are they being deleted?
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Why are they being deleted?
                              He's been banninated.

Comment

Oh. Well the posts here were thought provoking.

Comment

Working...
                                X