X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    They're also not supposed to worship country or flag.
    Or party

Comment

Not sure I agree with your assessment but I get what you are trying to say.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving all! And thank your neighbor.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Still amuses me. We say in the Apostles' or Nicene Creed something to the effect of:

"Suffered under Pontius Pilate.
          Was crucified, dead, buried.
          Descended into hell.
          On the third day, rose again,
          Where he sitteth at the hand of God the Father.
          From there he shall come to judge the living and the dead."

So, apparently being tortured, being crucified, dead, buried, and going to hell? Not a problem for Christ. Can do that all the time and twice on the weekends. Upon learning that students couldn't be forced to pray, he took his ball and went home... according to Christian Supremacists.

Glad I talk to people who actually know their ****... instead of people who think Christians should get their way all the time.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
            Still amuses me. We say in the Apostles' or Nicene Creed something to the effect of:

"Suffered under Pontius Pilate.
            Was crucified, dead, buried.
            Descended into hell.
            On the third day, rose again,
            Where he sitteth at the hand of God the Father.
            From there he shall come to judge the living and the dead."

So, apparently being tortured, being crucified, dead, buried, and going to hell? Not a problem for Christ. Can do that all the time and twice on the weekends. Upon learning that students couldn't be forced to pray, he took his ball and went home... according to Christian Supremacists.

Glad I talk to people who actually know their ****... instead of people who think Christians should get their way all the time.
            Those people aren't real Christians. They are a la carte Christians.

Comment

Never got the part where he descended into Hell. If he was perfect, and never renounced/forsook his Father, why would he go to Hell at all?

If the argument is that this is a mistranslation filtered through at least four different languages, then doesn't that mean that we can dispute lots of other things the Bible says we're supposed to do?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Never got the part where he descended into Hell. If he was perfect, and never renounced/forsook his Father, why would he go to Hell at all?

If the argument is that this is a mistranslation filtered through at least four different languages, then doesn't that mean that we can dispute lots of other things the Bible says we're supposed to do?
                I heard it said that he descended into Hell to redeem humanity. But from what I read online this morning, this is a mistranslation, and hell = grave. Then again, I'll be in church this morning, so I'll ask Jen.
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Catholic version doesn't have that line. Just suffered, died and was buried. On the third day he rose again.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    Catholic version doesn't have that line. Just suffered, died and was buried. On the third day he rose again.
                    Nicene Creed does not have it. Apostles Creed does.

Since the fall at the Garden of Eden, the Gates of Heaven were closed. The souls of the just were in "Limbo" awaiting the Messiah.

Upon His death, Jesus released the souls of the just from Limbo and reopened the Gates of Heaven. They have stayed open since.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Since the fall at the Garden of Eden, the Gates of Heaven were closed. The souls of the just were in "Limbo" awaiting the Messiah.

Upon His death, Jesus released the souls of the just from Limbo and reopened the Gates of Heaven. They have stayed open since.
                      Since I can't believe you mean all that in a literal sense, what do "Garden of Eden" and "Gates of Hell" mean?

Comment

He means it like all Catholics mean it - an allegory, not a physical barrier.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          He means it like all Catholics mean it - an allegory, not a physical barrier.
                          mumbo jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Doctrine thing since there is no Limbo in the Scriptures. Who first decided there was Limbo?

Comment

googled it because well, because. Interesting. I guess they decided it doesn't exist too.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/lim...holic-theology

or maybe it does?

https://catholicherald.co.uk/comment...urch-teaching/

This one was confusing. If Christ died for our sins then this makes no sense. Did he not die for our sins? He died for only those who were alive when he died? Maybe I am a simpleton but if Christ died to wash away our sins then what the heck is all this stuff about excluding people for minutiae. God isn't stupid. He gave us grace. Baptism is a promise to raise the person in the church but Grace was granted before any human got involved.

Comment

Nice to be in a place where the attitude is far from "Thoughts and Prayers and Jesus Will Fix It."

And I just filled out the membership form for that place tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X