X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Well, you know what got the fire burning again? This talk from small minded individuals about "God is blocked by a school door." I knew that wasn't right. If God is blocked by a school door, that means God is fallible. If God is fallible, there is no reason to sing "How Great Is Our God" or "How Great Thou Art," there is simply no reason to have a church or the faith itself.

And as I walked on through, reflecting on the Apostles' and Nicene creeds, and going back through the scripture I have read... I realized I was angry and hurt by the church itself. When I met the Episcopalians, I found believers who lived what they believed. Where I'm at now, it doesn't matter that I'm out of the closet, it doesn't matter that I'm an economic rung or two down the ladder (my pastor is of humble means herself), and I realized that I am loved for who I am.

As for where I am now... it's like I've been told "welcome home. I missed you. Dinner's on the table and ice cream's in the freezer. Help yourself."
    Well said and nicely done.

For years there was derisiveness of Christianity on this board...and due to poor behaviors of individuals, in many cases rightfully so. But nobody over the years, not one poster, could every legitimately criticize the broader concept, the message or the Word. There were many attempts to define Christianity and Jesus based on messed-up people who did nothing reflected in the faith but called themselves Christians anyways. Other attempts tried to pin the entire power of the Jesus legacy to the impossible hurdle of proof of God's existence. In the end, Jesus/God and His community is just simply a powerful tool that's there for your disposal...and if you take it further, that's up to you.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      Well said and nicely done.

For years there was derisiveness of Christianity on this board...and due to poor behaviors of individuals, in many cases rightfully so. But nobody over the years, not one poster, could every legitimately criticize the broader concept, the message or the Word. There were many attempts to define Christianity and Jesus based on messed-up people who did nothing reflected in the faith but called themselves Christians anyways. Other attempts tried to pin the entire power of the Jesus legacy to the impossible hurdle of proof of God's existence. In the end, Jesus/God and His community is just simply a powerful tool that's there for your disposal...and if you take it further, that's up to you.
      Part of what I lost when I was running so many marathons was connection. I stopped talking to people. I stopped attending church. I stopped getting out and being with others. "No thanks, I'll just have a quiet night at home" became a mantra.

One of my rules coming back is "you will not stop volunteering at Out On the Lakeshore, nor will you stop attending Gender SAFE (trans support), PFLAG, or Grace Episcopal." And holding to that, that will help keep me fresh. Mentally strong, too.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Yesterday, our sermon was about the young widow who gave her last bit of money to the treasury. Once again, people squirmed.
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
          Yesterday, our sermon was about the young widow who gave her last bit of money to the treasury. Once again, people squirmed.
          I find it fascinating how some religious people pick and choose which parts of the Bible are meant to be taken literally, and which they opt to forget about.
          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G
          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
          2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
            I find it fascinating how some religious people pick and choose which parts of the Bible are meant to be taken literally, and which they opt to forget about.
            I suppose I am one of those people...but really that's been the innovation in Christian theology in the last 50 years. Hear me out.

Say the Bible is not the source of your faith. Say that God and Jesus (being the same) are. So whereas accounts of God were 3rd party accounts and handed down stories - Jesus lived in relatively recent times, explained in simple terms what matters and as said, set the record straight. Christianity is defined by the life and teachings of Jesus not the Bible: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity

The Bible's OT is excellent context and is therefore important...but its not the main course.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

How is the Bible not the source of your faith? How would you know about God, Christ or the Holy Spirit (Ghost) without it? Unless you were living at that time every thing you 'know' was stimulated by a 3rd party account.

I think what you are saying is you don't take it literally and you look at it like an a la carte for what to include as your influences? (not flaming. I really don't get it)

The whole history of the Bible and how they chose what to keep and leave out is fascinating to me. Lots of politics, maneuvering and nastiness involved in the choosing. There as 'logic' but a lot of it wouldn't pass muster in logic class.

Comment

I go back and forth on faith. I find myself settling on my belief in some sort of higher power. But I also think much of what’s written down is what men at the time wanted. Whether it was the submission of women, greed, or just power.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I go back and forth on faith. I find myself settling on my belief in some sort of higher power. But I also think much of what’s written down is what men at the time wanted. Whether it was the submission of women, greed, or just power.
                  I have read some very dry but interesting books on the background of the various books in the Bible, shifts in Church teachings, early church history. That is much more inspiring to make you think about why the message was the message. Also read some of the websites that explain Catholicism Doctrine. That stuff is laden with the things you mention, makes little if any sense, esp if you don't blindly follow but actually research the origins and 'defense' put forth. Incoherent and illogical are some of the milder words. I expected better coming off their official sites I think they would do better to just say nothing.

I have an archeologic Bible which has a bunch of stuff giving background of places and some sociology info re the time it was written. Verrrrry interesting stuff in there.

Comment

On a lighter note. Please check your local pond.

@JonathanTurley: Report: Witches Now Outnumber Presbyterians In The United*States https://jonathanturley.org/2018/11/1...united-states/
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

@JonathanTurley: Report: Witches Now Outnumber Presbyterians In The United*States https://jonathanturley.org/2018/11/1...united-states/
                      Source is evangelicals, so probably their paranoia speaking. The more pagans the better, though, IMO. In this country, we're still dealing with the ways Puritanism fu k d us up.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                        Source is evangelicals, so probably their paranoia speaking. The more pagans the better, though, IMO. In this country, we're still dealing with the ways Puritanism fu k d us up.
                        Still dealing with the way someone's Puritanism messed ME up.

Being hurt by the church kept me out for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

I heard some of my cousins have joined the associated daughters of early american witches. I'm tempted to fill out the paperwork.

I will join many others next month with traditional pagan decorations such as holly and mistletoe. Perhaps we'll enjoy a yule log as well.
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G
                          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                          2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            How is the Bible not the source of your faith? How would you know about God, Christ or the Holy Spirit (Ghost) without it? Unless you were living at that time every thing you 'know' was stimulated by a 3rd party account.

I think what you are saying is you don't take it literally and you look at it like an a la carte for what to include as your influences? (not flaming. I really don't get it)

The whole history of the Bible and how they chose what to keep and leave out is fascinating to me. Lots of politics, maneuvering and nastiness involved in the choosing. There as 'logic' but a lot of it wouldn't pass muster in logic class.
                            I don't worship the Bible because that's idolatry. If somewhere it says 'eye for an eye' and Jesus says 'turn the other cheek'...others are conflicted because the Bible is the source of their faith rather than Jesus. Its 'turn the other cheek' without question because I worship Jesus and Jesus' account gives the Bible whatever importance it has.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              I don't worship the Bible because that's idolatry...I worship Jesus
                              I'm pretty sure Christians aren't supposed to do that, either.
                              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 11-19-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                I'm pretty sure Christians aren't supposed to do that, either.
                                They're also not supposed to worship country or flag.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X