• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Dangers of open water baptisms in Africa

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-44366360
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Dangers of open water baptisms in Africa

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-44366360
      Guess God was distracted...
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Ramadan has been interesting so far.

1/2 way through, mookie hopes
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

You could have phrased this better...

@firstthingsmag: There is a connection between working with your hands and manhood.
          https://ftmag.co/2ImCLiT

Good article, though.
          Last edited by joecct; 06-08-2018, 02:12 PM.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            You could have phrased this better...

@firstthingsmag: There is a connection between working with your hands and manhood.
            https://ftmag.co/2ImCLiT

Good article, though.
            From the article:

Some are blessed with greater strength and agility, but it is good to remember that gifts are not always received with gratitude. Besides placing us in someone’s debt, gifts can define us. When I use that axe I was given for Christmas, or put on that sport coat, I am transformed. The axe strengthens my hands and my arms as I put it to work. Even the structure of my brain is altered. And the coat changes both my body temperature and what people see when they look at me. I see myself with new eyes. So, receiving a gift in some sense requires submitting to it.

Our bodies are given as either male or female. And the two sexes are full of meaning, like pages of text. But the texts must be read and their meanings drawn out.

You can always tell when the Muscular Christianity Chestertons of the world get misty-eyed that the bullsh-t's a-comin, Elizabeth.

Please give it up, joe. This rubbish hasn't sold with anybody since 1890 who didn't really, desperately need to have their prejudices petted.
            Last edited by Kepler; 06-08-2018, 04:43 PM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The structure of his brain is altered by putting an axe in his hand, or by wearing a sports coat? Right...that says about all I knead to know about that man's constitution.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Something snowflakes something something.
                Cornell University

Comment

How dare you suggest that "perfect" Jesus, who was supposedly both man and god, ever thought about *gasp* sex. Per the writings, he really did never act upon such thoughts, but still, OMG how dare you! *clutches pearls*

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    How dare you suggest that "perfect" Jesus, who was supposedly both man and god, ever thought about *gasp* sex. Per the writings, he really did never act upon such thoughts, but still, OMG how dare you! *clutches pearls*
                    Dude, we’ve all seen the da Vinci code

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      He was in his PRIME! He could have been knee deep in shepherd's daughters...
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                        He was in his PRIME! He could have been knee deep in shepherd's daughters...
                        better than deep in the shepherd's sheep

Comment

There was a subtle reason I stopped attending church:

The attitude of "oh, you're single? We have nothing for you. We don't want to have anything for you." Felt like the church was either preparing kids for marriage, or falling all over themselves to tend to married couples. Meanwhile, single people were ignored. Never mind 1 Corinthians 7:25-40, which says "it's okay to be single if you're not ready for marriage."
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                            There was a subtle reason I stopped attending church:

The attitude of "oh, you're single? We have nothing for you. We don't want to have anything for you." Felt like the church was either preparing kids for marriage, or falling all over themselves to tend to married couples. Meanwhile, single people were ignored. Never mind 1 Corinthians 7:25-40, which says "it's okay to be single if you're not ready for marriage."
                            Thought you'd found a church with a better leader?

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Thought you'd found a church with a better leader?
                              I did. Went there today. There, no added favors to married couples.

Comment

Faith/Church can be powerfully beneficial - due to the general core Gospels platform. I've seen many healthy people deepen their compassion for their friends, families and esp. strangers. I've seen many unhealthy people (divorcees, drug addicts, etc) be given anywhere between a big respite to another lease on life. Personally I've seen fully baked, less tolerant conservatives or others that can't help but have their tone softened in some ways by the compassion message. As discussed, the nature of the church community is crucial.

But you won't get the faith if you don't have an avid desire to learn or self improve - everyone I've encountered at my church does. They don't take everything on board, but they want to improve.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X