X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I just found out (literally, this weekend) that many Protestants also do Communion. I'd always thought it was one of the sacraments that Luther called bullsh-t on, but apparently not. Not just those Catholic-wanna-be Episcopalians, either, but even some rock-ribbed Lutherans.

My Presbyterian pastor friend (who told me all this) has even administered it during services. Who knew?
    I was raised Protestant. I knew.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      I was raised Protestant. I knew.
      Where I was raised 99% of the population was either Catholic, Jewish, or atheist. I thought Protestants were some weird minority sect like Scientologists.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        No way a Catholic parish would openly accept other denominations and non-believers. Joe's much-loathed "Church of Nice" isn't that nice.
        That's not true of the Catholic Church around my area, and my wife insists on more conservative parishes to take mass. She knows many priests, having worked for the local archdiocese for 13 years now, and they know I'm an atheist. They welcome me, and just state that I cannot take communion, but could receive a blessing should I choose. I never do.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Where I was raised 99% of the population was either Catholic, Jewish, or atheist. I thought Protestants were some weird minority sect like Scientologists.
          Pretty close.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            No way a Catholic parish would openly accept other denominations and non-believers. Joe's much-loathed "Church of Nice" isn't that nice.

Every Catholic Church I've ever been in has welcomed others, you're just not supposed to take communion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              I just found out (literally, this weekend) that many Protestants also do Communion. I'd always thought it was one of the sacraments that Luther called bullsh-t on, but apparently not. Not just those Catholic-wanna-be Episcopalians, either, but even some rock-ribbed Lutherans.

My Presbyterian pastor friend (who told me all this) has even administered it during services. Who knew?
              Who would ever pass on a tasty cookie?
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Communion, so Catholic? If so, are you attending one of the Catholic churches in Oakdale?
                Catholics don’t own communion. We had communion back at my church growing up and it wa Lutheran.

Seems mature and reasonable for all parties, and no obstacle for remaining in this state for as long as it's comfortable. If you have kids someday you'll face questions of their upbringing but if you and your partner couldn't figure that stuff out then you'd have way bigger problems than the specific issue at hand.
                I would have no problems with my children growing up going to church, with the caveat the church would have to be as far from the evangelicals as can be. I think the tricky part comes in how we would approach it when they start to get old enough to ask questions and figure it out for themselves.

We’ve already had discussions about one or two things that were said there which made me feel uncomfortable. I told my girlfriend that if that’s what the church believes, I’m not going back. We had a mature, adult discussion about it. She reassured me that she and the church didn’t believe in what was said. The pastor was apparently talked to by the other pastors and congregants. So while there are going to be issues, I feel like her core, secular beliefs are very well-aligned with mine. We’re also mature enough to be able to discuss them without having to harbor contempt or choke down discomfort.

Back to the question about children, being a good person comes first though and I know she’s on the same page there. She’s more progressive than I am and I wouldn’t be with her if she didn’t put people over religious dogma.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  Who would ever pass on a tasty cookie?
                  If you're ever at a frat initiation, I'd recommend it.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Is the whole cracker thing even sanitary? Are FDA guidelines for foodservice being followed?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post

Every Catholic Church I've ever been in has welcomed others, you're just not supposed to take communion.
                      This. I've gone to church services with religious boyfriends in my past. Both Lutheran and Catholic where I was told I could not take communion, but they wanted me to go to church with them.

Oddly I never went to church with the super religious boy I dated in 8th/9th grade that is now a pastor. He did take me to a 4-H fair and teach me to show goats, but I don't think he wanted to ever discuss religion with me. His parents were the our kids can not watch tv, nor listen to secular music type.
                      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                      7 B1G
                      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                      2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Catholics don’t own communion. We had communion back at my church growing up and it wa Lutheran.
                        So I've learned. Prior to today, I thought Catholics were the sole providers of Jeez-Its crackers.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post

I said nothing about not allowing people in to listen. I just said, from what I remember, don't expect the sort of touchy-feely liberalism you'll get at a lot of Lutheran churches, UU churches, or some of the catch-all "Bible churches". I think I knew one bleeding heart priest the entire time I was raised Catholic.

But then again, I haven't cared to attend Mass or call myself a Catholic in a decade, so whatever.
                          Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 01-23-2019, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I've been in the Reformed Church in America... communion.

I've been non-denominational. Communion, but with grape juice.

I've been with the Episcopalians for over a year. The sermon lasts 15 minutes, but the entire service is centered on Eucharist (Communion). Although, Yellow Tail tastes better than our Communion wine. And in our church, no matter what, all are invited to take Communion.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              So I've learned. Prior to today, I thought Catholics were the sole providers of Jeez-Its crackers.
                              Jeeze-Its

That’s fantastic.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

So, any Jonathan Edwards, Sinners-in-the-Hands-of-an-Angry-God congregations hiding away in the New England woods?

Comment

Working...
                                X