X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Stupid question: Why do you capitalize word? It seems to denote status, but what, exactly?
    Christianity is the simple algebraic function..A=B=C. Jesus talks about love and love is his spoken position (Word for short). Jesus is really just the words he spoke (again the Word). As God is Jesus, therefore God is really 'the Word' as spoken by Jesus and capitalized...or love thy neighbor, the meek shall inherit the earth, etc.

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Hmm, you think so?

Slavery is listed all through the Bible, OT, NT and the Gospels. “I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith.”

Luke 12:46-47
    The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. And that servant, which knew his lord’s will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
    I know so. This phrase is led by “Lord, are you telling this parable for us or for all?” We are the servants in this passage, the master is God, and we are being asked to show our respect. This does not condone slavery...nor does Jesus ever condone it.

Backers of slavery would would back slavery in spite of the Golden Rule...and as that is 180 degrees opposed to the Word, misuse Christianity for their own purpose. Yet, the Gospels ooze with doing good for your fellow man - motivations for the massive impact by Christians on healthcare, education, societal improvement.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    His inability to compromise follows logically from his view of God as literally real and the Bible as His literal Word. I think I completely understand 5mn.
    No. Not me. Throughout the Bible, parables are used. Its continuous. For all we know the entire Bible is a parable. Does it matter?

The OT is a preface to the real story - the Gospels. Jesus is God. He defined (redefined if you'd like) everything. The world is full of priorities. The Word is that of the Bible.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      No. Not me. Throughout the Bible, parables are used. Its continuous. For all we know the entire Bible is a parable. Does it matter?

The OT is a preface to the real story - the Gospels. Jesus is God. He defined (redefined if you'd like) everything. The world is full of priorities. The Word is that of the Bible.
      Yep, I was corrected. You're almost there. The Gospels are symbolic, too, and the chief symbol is the idea of god itself. Once you get there you'll have understood Jesus. Who, BTW, is all right by me. If there was an afterlife (spoiler: there isn't) I would definitely buy him a drink and keep my mind open.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Christianity is the simple algebraic function.
        No wonder I never got it.

Comment

Talked about John baptizing Jesus today.

And now my pastor is working on a baptism/dedication service for me.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
            Talked about John baptizing Jesus today.

And now my pastor is working on a baptism/dedication service for me.
            Do all the various Protestant churches keep inline with the old Catholic liturgical schedule? The baptism was on today's Catholicism Wow! docket, too.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Took mom to church last night. First time been inside since forever. Was sad she picked the English version. Would have preferred the tagalong or Tamil.

. If there was an afterlife (spoiler: there isn't) .
              And you know this how?? Faith??
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Do all the various Protestant churches keep inline with the old Catholic liturgical schedule? The baptism was on today's Catholicism Wow! docket, too.
                I believe so.
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  And you know this how?? Faith??
                  Educated guess.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's always Bible Study.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Educated guess.
                      so faith
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        so faith
                        But no more "faith" than in gravity or any other scientific theory. Science is always provisional. In reality there is no such thing as "proof," except for tautologies. There is only "hasn't been falsified yet, but we're working on it."
                        Cornell University

Comment

I have a hunch we talk about the Wedding at Cana tomorrow, which brings up the "water into wine" miracle. Guests said it was the best wine of the day, so how long had they been drinking?

Bible never says drinking 1 or 2 is a sin, but it does warn against excessive drinking.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                            I have a hunch we talk about the Wedding at Cana tomorrow, which brings up the "water into wine" miracle. Guests said it was the best wine of the day, so how long had they been drinking?

Bible never says drinking 1 or 2 is a sin, but it does warn against excessive drinking.
                            They were loaded.

People have been getting drunk since the dawn of time.

Comment

Same parable also talks about bringing out the good stuff first, acknowledging that the gueats will be too drunk to notice later....
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                Same parable also talks about bringing out the good stuff first, acknowledging that the gueats will be too drunk to notice later....
                                Yeah, and the guests noticed that the Jesus wine was the best stuff.

I want to be at THAT party.

Comment

Working...
                                X