X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    And you wore an onion on your belt, as was the style at the time.

FWIW, back when I went to mass I would've agreed with you. But you're also kidding yourself if you think traditional services are what will bring the youth back into the fold. That ship sailed a long time ago for a multitude of reasons. Immigrants are the only growing demographic for the church in this country, and that will only last for a couple of generations.
    I run the HS group at my church. The kids, almost to a person, HATE the attempts to go all modern and rock-a-billy. They think that is for Church at Church Camp. They are horrified that the traditions are being messed with in their name (they brought this up, I didn't). They tried the more modern wording of the Our Father and all the kids recited it the 'correct way'. Made some of it sound sort of like talking in tongues instead of in concert

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      I run the HS group at my church. The kids, almost to a person, HATE the attempts to go all modern and rock-a-billy. They think that is for Church at Church Camp. They are horrified that the traditions are being messed with in their name (they brought this up, I didn't). They tried the more modern wording of the Our Father and all the kids recited it the 'correct way'. Made some of it sound sort of like talking in tongues instead of in concert
      I wonder if they would find the First Council of Nicea interesting, the way the church basically called a political convention to decide the nature of God (to paraphrase ). That was only three centuries after Jesus died, so I guess it would be considered messing with traditions at the front end.

Comment

And you wore an onion on your belt, as was the style at the time.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          I wonder if they would find the First Council of Nicea interesting, the way the church basically called a political convention to decide the nature of God (to paraphrase ). That was only three centuries after Jesus died, so I guess it would be considered messing with traditions at the front end.
          They did that in Confirmation class.

Comment

modern wording of the Our Father
            I had to look this up, and it makes even me cringe.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              I had to look this up, and it makes even me cringe.
              This.

The kids said it was insulting and dumbed down. The reason for changing the wording was to make it 'easier' to get the point. The kids said it was stupid. Did they think they (the kids) were stupider than other generations and couldn't learn what it was about rather than change it?

I feel the same way about the newer wording in the Catholic Mass. I used to go and easily participate even tho I am a Heretic. Now I just roll my eyes.

Comment

This.

The kids said it was insulting and dumbed down. The reason for changing the wording was to make it 'easier' to get the point. The kids said it was stupid. Did they think they (the kids) were stupider than other generations and couldn't learn what it was about rather than change it?

I feel the same way about the newer wording in the Catholic Mass. I used to go and easily participate even tho I am a Heretic. Now I just roll my eyes.
                It's why I like the Episcopalian service. It's not been dumbed down and there's no appeal to emotion either. It's there and you either like it or not. I also like the fact that our services can be peppy, without being a rock concert. We draw from everything for music, including jazz and Negro spirituals. We even have a Fraction Anthem, which is our song for the breaking of the bread.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Prayer being "dumbed down" misses what prayer is.

It is a ritual you join with. If it has any meaning, that's it. It's not wifi to the gods -- you can't upgrade or go to the next version. There's nobody on the other side. Say the stupid words and try to feel something. This is not hard.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 07-17-2019, 07:56 AM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

mookie went to mass here when mom was visiting a couple months ago... had no problem playing along except for a handful of new(ish ) things. amazing how total recall works
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      amazing how total recall works
                      Yup. It's all still in there, every jot and tittle. Dr. Mrs. looked at me like I was Marilu Henner.

Couldn't remember the steps to the stand / sit / kneel dance, though and had to monkey see monkey do.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I expect nothing from fundies/evangelicals, and I'm getting it back by the semi-trailer full.
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

God didn't tell her not to wear that particular kit. SHE decided not to wear that particular kit.

But that's true: if you really want to or don't want to do something, just say God commanded it so people support you.

Comment

But you're also kidding yourself if you think traditional services are what will bring the youth back into the fold.
                            You're saying "consubstantial" and "and with your spirit" and chest thumps won't bring them flocking back in?
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                              You're saying "consubstantial" and "and with your spirit" and chest thumps won't bring them flocking back in?
                              I'm no longer in a contemporary service, but a few of my 50 something friends who committed to a contemporary service are wondering how much longer they can go on like this...

Me? I'm fine with my liturgy and The Hymnal 1982.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                It's been all downhill since filioque.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X