This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Does this include voting for people that wish to do harm to the poor, gays, people of color, of stealing from taxpayers by giving cuts to the rich while none to the middle class, trying to end food stamp programs, separating children from the parents, housing them in cages, knowing that some of them will never wind up reunited with their families because they don't have an adequate enough system setup to track them, sending Americans that lived 40 of their 41 years to a country they've never stepped foot in where they end up murdered all in the name of immigration reform...

With all due respect gfy.
    What did my post have to do with my voting record (or yours) or with the price of gas in Bismark?

Without God, there is no "ultimate judge" other than your conscience. If you have none (amoral) you can do almost anything - if you can get away with it.

That, my dear poster, has no party or race, creed, color,or place of national origin.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      What did my post have to do with my voting record (or yours) or with the price of gas in Bismark?

Without God, there is no "ultimate judge" other than your conscience. If you have none (amoral) you can do almost anything - if you can get away with it.

That, my dear poster, has no party or race, creed, color,or place of national origin.
      Great- except what he is asking is a valid point. For many 'Believers' the threat of judgment seems to have little if any influence. They are willing to condone or accept atrocities while professing they know they will be judged. Meanwhile many people who profess NOT having belief in that judgment are crying out for the things that Jesus told us to do and crying our against things we should condemn- without any need of the threat of judgment to be Christlike.

Comment

How does that work if "God" is of your own creation? Who is the ultimate judge then?

Comment

Without God, there is no "ultimate judge" other than your conscience.
          There are plenty.

There's your laws. (Hint: I do not recommend this.)

There's your culture.

There's humanity.

There's any of a thousand different purely secular moral-ethical determinisms from evo-bio to utilitarianism.

There's the I Ching or a magic 8 ball.

They're all arbitrary, just like every god ever invented by man, which is to say, every god. The wonderful part of each god, once you strip away the creepy social control part, is that it was our earliest way to come to grips with humans' unique place in the universe as the source of good and bad in a way that every person could handle mentally and emotionally.

The "grounding" of a god is itself just another arbitrary human creation. It is only deterministic if we declare it is. If that grounding on something outside yourself is what you need, you could accomplish the same thing by examining bird entrails.

The grounding of a god as authoritative has the same problem as the idea of god as First Cause. It merely pushes the question back one step further. The solution to an infinite regress is you have made an error. There's no First Cause, and there's no ultimate authority. God as a parable is a brilliant human creation. God as a literal existant is Zeno declaring motion is impossible.

Bad ethics, like bad epistemology, comes from bad metaphysics. The problem comes down to the desperate attempt to escape human responsibility for mores. But they are born with us. They are what we bring to the table. They are our nature. The very heart of human Being is we literally bring morality to life. Nature doesn't care. But humanity is born and we start throwing laws around because with us is born right and wrong.

Don't run away from that. Face it.

The tragedy: The universe does not care.

The miracle: But we do. <-- And there's your reason to be good, right there. Because without you there is no good. That's the point of the metaphors of ****ation and hell. If you shirk your responsibility to create and Be good you missed your chance to be human, you are ****ed, and you live in hell. How long? Forever, for with your death time ends for you. For every instant t you will ever know, you live. You already have eternal life, by definition. You don't have to worry about the second after you die because after you die there are no more seconds.

The price of our self-awareness is that human Being includes right and wrong.

The good news is that there is no ultimate authority. Not because it's party time but because we are not born into a torture chamber with a grinning, seething, petty tyrant glowering at us. Good is arbitrary and always in negotiation, and good is always complete with us -- once the last human winks out there will be no good or bad in the universe, just rocks and cats. So this is it: your endless lifespan is the full breadth of the right and wrong in the universe.

That is of course also the bad news. You are the single arbitrator of good and bad in all the universe in all of time. SO DON'T F-CK IT UP!

Sleep tight.
          Last edited by Kepler; 08-17-2019, 10:04 PM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

When MissThundercat tells us she feels under lethal threat from the anti-trans fervor ginned up by the right, maybe we should believe her.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

If you’re a sociopath I don’t think the fact that your parents made you go to church when you were a kid will change it. Your ultimate judge only keeps honest people honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                When MissThundercat tells us she feels under lethal threat from the anti-trans fervor ginned up by the right, maybe we should believe her.
                As I've said Kep, Republicans and the Right want me dead, either figuratively (to lose my job, conversion therapy, banning us from the military, etc) or literally.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Submitted without comment.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Another disciple walking the talk.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Beating the Jesus into your kids to own the libs.

Comment

Obvious story is obvious.

The owners of a religious boarding school that was once raided in Alabama have been arrested in Baldwin County and transported to Texas to face human trafficking charges.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Kep is right. I happened to find some good people here in a conservative stronghold. Today, a pastor of an affirming church just sat with me and let me talk to her for more than an hour. Didn't pass judgment, didn't try to inject her opinion, just listened.
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

By the way, Kep:

Right wing Evangelical Jesus wants me dead.

At least with the Episcopalians, I met the Jesus that loves me and wants the best for me.

Comment

I love this

Comment

I know, not all Christians. But this guy has a platform.

Comment

Working...
                                X