X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Without Divine Retribution, what keeps people on the straight and narrow?

No heaven or hell means that you can live your life free of repercussions. If you can get away with it, you're good.

Belief in a Supreme Judge means that you have somebody watching over all that you do and you have to answer for it.

Of course, God has a sense of humor. If you're Willie Tulloch, you'd get the surprise of your life that after being an lifelong atheist, you get to meet the Fellow who gives you a pat on the back and bids you enter into the Kingdom you honestly denied.

If you're a liar, cheat, and a thief, you may get a different reception.
    Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    Is this a serious post? Taking it as serious makes me baffled.
    Yeah--give that a voice or journalistic form, and it's Onion material. Joe's gotta be trolling the weed patch.

Comment

No heaven or hell means that you can live your life free of repercussions. If you can get away with it, you're good.
      The entire point of morality is it's voluntary. We are radically free -- the full responsibility is on us. We are exactly as good as we decide to be. "Heaven" and "hell" are the world we make, right here on Earth, through our decisions.

I can sort of understand someone who invents a Divine Policeman to keep him in line. But I can't understand being proud of it. You are saying you don't have the personal strength to create and hold to your own ethical system.

Be better.

Human beings have brought something new into Nature: with us ethics and morals enter into reality. They are "arbitrary" in that they are a human invention; as far as we know they are not anywhere else in nature (though we've seen so little of the universe that's a tremendously egotistical thought).

Language, law, aesthetics, morality. All invented by humans. But yet all "real" at the very least in the Jamesian sense that "whatever works is real."

It's essential to hold some sort of cooperative, non-self-destructive morality yet the vast majority of people aren't able to conceive of this as an abstraction, so we invented religions to "bring it down to Earth." What else is the story of Jesus than taking a hifalutin abstraction (God) and making it tangible and physical so people can relate to it (His Son)?

And it works! Well, sort of. Believers still do awful things and justify them, and religious leaders are masterful at making excuses for themselves why they don't actually follow religious dictates, but for the most part religions all say the same thing and it's pretty positive:

1. The Golden Rule
      2. Help the weak against the strong
      3. There's more to life than self-interest

Is there anybody who can disagree on those 3 things? Yet none of them are in Nature. They came from human imagination and they've caught on which.... great!
      Last edited by Kepler; 08-08-2019, 07:34 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Are you High Church or Low Church? High Church is Catholic lite (with better music). Low Church is more Protestant (with better music).

My oldest son and his family belong to the Ordnariate parish in Baltimore. The pastor and his wife have 9 kids. 6 were born while he was Episcopalian. 3 since he swam the Tiber. They're great people. The parish is growing with many young families.

When I attend Mass up there, it reminds me of what Mass should have become after V2. Tallis, Byrd, Palestrina, de Victoria and the great Catholic composers prior to the 70s, sung by a choir with professional musicians.
        Grace is High Church. We follow the liturgy and it changes with the time of year; right now, we're going through Pentecost.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Belief in a Supreme Judge means that you have somebody watching over all that you do and you have to answer for it.
          Beware the Hand of the Almighty.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Not being a *******?

If the only thing keeping you honest is a fear of hell, that says a whole lot about you.

Comment

Some reading material for our sheltered theists.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                Not being a *******?

If the only thing keeping you honest is a fear of hell, that says a whole lot about you.
                i'm not sure if Joe is serious or this is some attempt at trolling us. My gut says he's serious, but maybe I've fallen for the bait and he's really great at trolling?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  1. The Golden Rule
                  2. Help the weak against the strong
                  3. There's more to life than self-interest

Is there anybody who can disagree on those 3 things?
                  President Trump isn’t following... can you put these in pictures featuring Brer Rabbit and a Tar Baby? And draw a picture of how big of a stack would be in it for him?
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

What a sad question to have to ask.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

At least my morality doesn't tell me to bail on my current city. I'm going to stay and try to make my patch of grass a nicer place to live.
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                        i'm not sure if Joe is serious or this is some attempt at trolling us. My gut says he's serious, but maybe I've fallen for the bait and he's really great at trolling?
                        Many people believe exactly what joe is saying. It put the wind up Kierkegaard so much it made him reject human reason. My Dad, by no means a man without intellectual resources, thought that life without a God would be a directionless waste of time for precisely the same reasons I feel that life without a God is the only possible demonstration of goodness and love.

It doesn't count if you're only doing it because somebody is watching you.

We invented God for joe. It keeps him behaving, so, good. For those who lack moral resources within by all means let's have a backstop to keep them from running a-muck.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 08-08-2019, 11:24 AM.
                        Cornell University

Comment

I thought it was our other resident 'you have to be a believer and only Christians are good' person. I had to look twice.

Comment

I believe, yes. I haven't spouted "only Christians are good."

Truth is, I believe my actions will speak louder than anything I say.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                              I believe, yes. I haven't spouted "only Christians are good."

Truth is, I believe my actions will speak louder than anything I say.
                              We have a poster who has said that only believers can be moral. Also, Christians invented ethics which would come as a surprise to Aristotle and the entire East.

It's okay, he is insane.
                              Cornell University

Comment

When the Episcopalians found me, they introduced me to a God who wasn't going to kill me. ****, for the longest time, instead of political nonsense and being excluded for lack of income growing up, I just wanted to hear about a God who loved me and wanted the best for me.

I got that with the Episcopalians.

Comment

Working...
                                X