This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Just one more example of why I got out of the cult.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      OK...a couple of comments.

Suicide is very tragic and we have no idea what was said. Yet, this case is a little more complicated than that. The parents kind of lashed out at some others in their childs life. There is some additional family life smoke there and not all childhood homes are perfect.

Long story short...until there's some hard evidence of what was said either way I remain concerned but I won't judge the pastor. If one judges this pastor differently whether he's a pastor or an atheist...then you're not looking at this correctly.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Really? Doubling down to blame the victim's parents as well?

Not at all following your thought experiment. You're asking us to imagine an atheist at a funeral telling a family that their dead son is going to hell? Does not compute.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          Not even going to bother responding to 5mn's nonsense there.

In other news, the next thing Millennials might kill is religion. Or, more specifically, the religious-conservative social complex.
          Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-15-2018, 06:59 PM.

Comment

In other news, the next thing Millennials might kill is religion. Or, more specifically, the religious-conservative social complex.
            If that happens, I might begin to think just maybe there IS a God....
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

Not at all following your thought experiment. You're asking us to imagine an atheist at a funeral telling a family that their dead son is going to hell? Does not compute.
              Yeah. That's what I did. But if it helps your case make stuff up...

I don't automatically judge anyone until I hear enough to condemn them. It doesn't matter where it is...or who it is. We'll probably find out soon enough.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                That organization is a pathetic joke. Can’t imagine how anyone buys into their crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                  That organization is a pathetic joke. Can’t imagine how anyone buys into their crap.
                  One of the happiest days of my adult life was when my patents and aura and uncles realized the scam and stopped supporting that vile group and gave up church

Comment

1) Meh, don't have a Catholic funeral if you think there's a chance the priest might say something negative because your child committed what's widely believed by Catholics to be an unforgivable sin.
                    2) The priest should know better than to flat out say it. Knowing there's likely other people around that kid's same age, speak to the grief experienced and the tragedy of the child not seeking out other, less horrible solutions. In short, dissuade the lemmings while trying to help people through their grief.
                    3) Some priests just shouldn't be in that situation because it's not their strength.
                    4) Religion is D-U-M. Don't put stock in what people say about fiction.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      1) Meh, don't have a Catholic funeral if you think there's a chance the priest might say something negative because your child committed what's widely believed by Catholics to be an unforgivable sin.
                      2) The priest should know better than to flat out say it. Knowing there's likely other people around that kid's same age, speak to the grief experienced and the tragedy of the child not seeking out other, less horrible solutions. In short, dissuade the lemmings while trying to help people through their grief.
                      3) Some priests just shouldn't be in that situation because it's not their strength.
                      4) Religion is D-U-M. Don't put stock in what people say about fiction.
                      And you were doing so well.

Point 4 should be how 'D-U-M' it is to live in judgement of others. That applies to Christians...and to atheists on message boards.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                        Point 4 should be how 'D-U-M' it is to live in judgement of others. That applies to Christians...and to atheists on message boards.
                        Since I'm not an Xtian, I'm not expected to follow "judge not, that ye be not judged". So no, it doesn't apply.

Comment

Since I'm not an Xtian, I'm not expected to follow "judge not, that ye be not judged". So no, it doesn't apply.
                          That doesn't mean its not D-U-M.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

The actual text of the homily/sermon. I'll let you form your own judgments.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              The actual text of the homily/sermon. I'll let you form your own judgments.
                              May i ask your opinion of it?

Personally I’d think it could best be described as tone deaf to what a grieving family needs (and I’d probably describe it as worse).

Comment

Interesting homily. Survivors can be angry, hurt, feel abandoned as well as sad the person managed to succeed so I guess acknowledging that is good. You would think he would spend a little more time trying to comfort without sounding as though he assumed people (himself included) would think the person was irredeemable for suiciding. And arguing as though he didn't expect people to be convinced and that it is hard to believe it is forgivable.

Comment

Working...
                                X