Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

THis argument is like Groundhog Day. Same argument, different month (or maybe year?)

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    THis argument is like Groundhog Day. Same argument, different month (or maybe year?)
    Alright. So let me take you through groundhog day:

1) Kepler says something unprovoked and inflammatory about our faith.
    2) I respond showing how he is both baseless and without facts in his assertion.
    3) He starts to explain, but in reality it's just more attacks.
    4) You create a false equivalency between he and I - even though he just called your God a terrorist or some such.
    5) I occasionally ask you about this.
    6) You flame me.

So how about let's just skip steps 5 and 6.
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Alright. So let me take you through groundhog day:

2) I respond showing how he is both baseless and without facts in his assertion.
    3) He starts to explain, but in reality it's just more attacks.
    4) You create a false equivalency between he and I - even though he just called your God a terrorist or some such.
    5) I occasionally ask you about this.
    6) You flame me.

So how about let's just skip steps 5 and 6.
    I tend not to interpret some of the posts the same way you do. I think that is #6.

I must say the reactions are quite predicable tho.

2)without facts
    Dude, it's called faith for a reason. You have literally no facts to back you up.

TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Pretty much. Just get out your popcorn and enjoy the mindless entertainment.

Same deal with Joe and abortion.

Q. How many Christians does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. That isn't funny.

What else is the Cafe but people saying something unprovoked and inflammatory? It is the peculiar entitlement of the dogmatically religious that nobody is allowed to say anything about their folie a deux. They are the bully who threatens everyone else in the schoolyard but if somebody insults them then they cry and run for mommy.

Toughen up. Your gods (both the OT Middle Eastern sociopath and the NT Silicon Valley entrepreneur) like men with a little more backbone.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Q. How many Christians does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. That isn't funny.

What else is the Cafe but people saying something unprovoked and inflammatory? It is the peculiar entitlement of the dogmatically religious that nobody is allowed to say anything about their folie a deux. They are the bully who threatens everyone else in the schoolyard but if somebody insults them then they cry and run for mommy.

Toughen up. Your gods (both the OT Middle Eastern sociopath and the NT Silicon Valley entrepreneur) like men with a little more backbone.
    This is quality.

Iím glad youíre back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I would argue that tough is calling out intolerance when you see it and that being a bigot is quite cowardly.

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Dude, it's called faith for a reason. You have literally no facts to back you up.
    The facts are that millions choose to turn to faith for self help.
    The facts are that hundreds of millions are helped by faith via charity and volunteerism.
    The facts are that skeptics here are so caught up in criticizing the means that they don't care whether people get helped or not.
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Iím glad youíre back.
    Very glad.

And that is not to say I don't appreciate most of what 5mn puts out there. He adds to the discussion, IMO, particularly when explaining his philosophy of Christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Very glad.

And that is not to say I don't appreciate most of what 5mn puts out there. He adds to the discussion, IMO, particularly when explaining his philosophy of Christianity.
    I have lots of skeptic friends who are capable of having meaningful conversations on faith. The skeptics here just can't. If it gets real, they just walk away.
    Go Gophers!

I have lots of skeptic friends who are capable of having meaningful conversations on faith. The skeptics here just can't. If it gets real, they just walk away.
    I respectfully disagree, 5mn. There have been some very meaningful conversations here involving you and skeptics. Sometimes we lapse into stereotypes and over-generalizations, but that is to be expected.

wubba lubba dub dub

I would argue that tough is calling out intolerance when you see it and that being a bigot is quite cowardly.

The facts are that millions choose to turn to faith for self help.
    The facts are that hundreds of millions are helped by faith via charity and volunteerism.
    The facts are that skeptics here are so caught up in criticizing the means that they don't care whether people get helped or not.
    People seeking and receiving help is good. There's no denying that. That's still not proof that your god exists. Millions of kids have faith in the Easter Bunny, and Tooth Fairy. Are they real?
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

At least, we're agreed that the outcomes of Christianity are 'good'.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    People seeking and receiving help is good. There's no denying that. That's still not proof that your god exists. Millions of kids have faith in the Easter Bunny, and Tooth Fairy. Are they real?
    The base definition of Christianity has nothing to do with existence. Christianity is defined as a religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. And that definition explains the way in which millions get help.
    Go Gophers!

So would I, friend. So would I.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

wubba lubba dub dub

At least, we're agreed that the outcomes of Christianity are 'good'.

The base definition of Christianity has nothing to do with existence. Christianity is defined as a religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. And that definition explains the way in which millions get help.
    And what you just wrote completely removes your sect from perhaps >95% of Christians, who believe that Jesus Christ is God made corporeal, and the embodiment of the Holy Spirit. One might even call it a Holy Trinity.

What you've described is essentially turning Christ into non-militaristic version of Sun Tzu.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

The outcomes of Christianity are good? Iím not sure theyíre all good. Do they do some good things? Yes. They also do some terrible things and have for centuries

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    The outcomes of Christianity are good? I’m not sure they’re all good. Do they do some good things? Yes. They also do some terrible things and have for centuries
    Yeah, he's got his blinders on to what people say. If it's right in front of his nose (that being his own perception of his own religion), then he zeroes in on it and ignores the (to steal a phrase from a certain pariah comedian) Yeah...but.

Physician, heal thyself.

You're so caught up in defending Christianity that you don't care whether people get hurt or not.
    Last edited by unofan; 01-10-2019 at 01:46 PM.

TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

The base definition of Christianity has nothing to do with existence. Christianity is defined as a religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth...
    *sigh*

"Well, there you go again."

I guess that means we can just throw out the Ten Commandments then. And everything else in the OT. If "I am the Lord your God" doesn't count and isn't a rule, then your version of Christianity just boils down to it being a self-help philosophy based on "love thy neighbor". That's fine, but it's something everyone should be doing anyway, and we shouldn't need a religious faith to figure that out.

Literally no organized version of the Christian faith agrees with you, 5mn. You've got your own little, rebellious interpretation that many (probably even a majority) of your kind would find blasphemous.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 01-10-2019 at 02:17 PM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    And what you just wrote completely removes your sect from perhaps >95% of Christians, who believe that Jesus Christ is God made corporeal, and the embodiment of the Holy Spirit. One might even call it a Holy Trinity.

What you've described is essentially turning Christ into non-militaristic version of Sun Tzu.
    Christianity is defined as simply following Jesus in every major dictionary in the modern English language. By definition, 'knowing' that God exists is not part of that equation. I'll never know why skeptics need to redefine it to something its not.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    The outcomes of Christianity are good? I’m not sure they’re all good. Do they do some good things? Yes. They also do some terrible things and have for centuries
    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Physician, heal thyself.

You're so caught up in defending Christianity that you don't care whether people get hurt or not.
    Acts of love and helping the fortunate do seem to come from inspiration for love and helping the less fortunate.

Acts of hatred and injury do not naturally come from love and helping the less fortunate - its pretty much a necessity that the actor does it in spite of Christian influence.
    Go Gophers!

Thread Information