This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Spellman is pretty well documented, though I suppose it would be more scandalous if he'd been carrying on with another celebrated priest, rather than just a Broadway guild member.
    McCarrick?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

This whole discussion is wacky
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I found this today picking at random. Submitted without comment.

Progress by Matthew Arnold

The Master stood upon the mount, and taught.
        He saw a fire in his disciples’ eyes;
        ‘The old law’, they said, ‘is wholly come to naught!
        Behold the new world rise!’

‘Was it’, the Lord then said, ‘with scorn ye saw
        The old law observed by Scribes and Pharisees?
        I say unto you, see ye keep that law
        More faithfully than these!

‘Too hasty heads for ordering worlds, alas!
        Think not that I to annul the law have will’d;
        No jot, no tittle from the law shall pass,
        Till all hath been fulfill’d.’

So Christ said eighteen hundred years ago.
        And what then shall be said to those to-day,
        Who cry aloud to lay the old world low
        To clear the new world’s way?

‘Religious fervours! ardour misapplied!
        Hence, hence,’ they cry, ’ye do but keep man blind!
        But keep him self-immersed, preoccupied,
        And lame the active mind!’

Ah! from the old world let some one answer give:
        ‘Scorn ye this world, their tears, their inward cares?
        I say unto you, see that your souls live
        A deeper life than theirs!

‘Say ye: The spirit of man has found new roads,
        And we must leave the old faiths, and walk therein?—
        Leave then the Cross as ye have left carved gods,
        But guard the fire within!

‘Bright, else, and fast the stream of life may roll,
        And no man may the other’s hurt behold;
        Yet each will have one anguish—his own soul
        Which perishes of cold.’

Here let that voice make end; then let a strain,
        From a far lonelier distance, like the wind
        Be heard, floating through heaven, and fill again
        These men’s profoundest mind:

‘Children of men! the unseen Power, whose eye
        For ever doth accompany mankind,
        Hath looked on no religion scornfully
        That men did ever find.

‘Which has not taught weak wills how much they can?
        Which has not fall’n on the dry heart like rain?
        Which has not cried to sunk, self-weary man:
        Thou must be born again!

‘Children of men! not that your age excel
        In pride of life the ages of your sires,
        But that you think clear, feel deep, bear fruit well,
        The Friend of man desires.’
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I have to say, I never thought I'd live to see Arnold, Wordsworth, or Keats quoted in a hockey forum. Yeats . . . sure.

That's a nice gift, Kep.
          Last edited by burd; 06-29-2019, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
            Yeats . . . sure.
            That is a great line.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Kepler's right. I do have good spiritual connections, ones that lift me up, ones that I can share 3.5 hour dinners at Denny's with, ones that hold me super tight after tragic events... who needs the Catholic church? Besides, the Church is rather bold to assume anything they say is still relevant.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

When the Storybook Pride Prom for LGBT teens in Jacksonville, Fla., was canceled after online conservative backlash, a local church made sure the story had a happy ending.

The Willowbranch Library in Jacksonville originally organized the event, inviting 14- to 18-year-olds to come in costume as their favorite book characters, with a dress code of “casual, formal, or in drag — whatever makes you feel great. Be you!” Over 100 teens planned to attend.

When the event caught the attention of a conservative blogger who encouraged her nearly 700,000 Facebook followers to call the library to complain, the Jacksonville Public Library canceled the event last week amid fears for the teens’ safety — to the outrage of many local parents and community members.

Ultimately, the kids got their dance. The Buckman Bridge Unitarian Universalist Church in Jacksonville stepped in and held the prom Friday, the same night as the original event at the neighborhood’s library.
                https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...=.beb21d00080f

I emailed them a short note thanking them for what they did.

admin@bbuuc.org
                A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                  https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...=.beb21d00080f

I emailed them a short note thanking them for what they did.

admin@bbuuc.org
                  Very nice.

I'm not quite tracking on why the JPL didn't ask the cops for protection commensurate with the threat. Isn't that the reason we have cops? (And yes I realize that FL cops are probably writing the hate letters, but f-ck them, they're working for us.)
                  Cornell University

Comment

I laughed

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                      Kepler's right. I do have good spiritual connections, ones that lift me up, ones that I can share 3.5 hour dinners at Denny's with, ones that hold me super tight after tragic events... who needs the Catholic church? Besides, the Church is rather bold to assume anything they say is still relevant.
                      People like to downplay the Catholic Church as being irrelevant, but if you ever see the numbers of people at Mass on a given weekend you'd see that there is still plenty of influence there. One of the three parishes in Oakdale, MN, pulls in 1500 bodies any given weekend, more than double that during the big events. While I disagree with much of what they say, I can tell you that a very large number of people there truly believe what they're told each and every week. And there's a resurgence of the conservative ethos/view of the Bible bubbling up from within itself. It's a shame they can't turn that resurgence into love for all rather than the chosen few.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        They should do what some other satire sites do -- just have the joke as the headline of a linked article that doesn't go anywhere. It's a good one punch joke and doesn't need any text.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          People like to downplay the Catholic Church as being irrelevant, but if you ever see the numbers of people at Mass on a given weekend you'd see that there is still plenty of influence there. One of the three parishes in Oakdale, MN, pulls in 1500 bodies any given weekend, more than double that during the big events. While I disagree with much of what they say, I can tell you that a very large number of people there truly believe what they're told each and every week. And there's a resurgence of the conservative ethos/view of the Bible bubbling up from within itself. It's a shame they can't turn that resurgence into love for all rather than the chosen few.
                          IIRC, Catholics also do a better job of retaining young people than mainline Protestant denominations do (though I'm sure Joe will dispute this ).

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            Wait, do you live in GDO?
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              IIRC, Catholics also do a better job of retaining young people than mainline Protestant denominations do (though I'm sure Joe will dispute this ).
                              Doubt it. Go to Sunday mass sometime. It's the early show at the Assisted Living facility.

When the local black church lets out it's all families and a great distribution of all ages (and my god they dress to the nines). When the (all white) Catholic church lets out it's ice floe time.

Also the blacks all look joyous while the whites all look like just took castor oil.
                              Cornell University

Comment

That may be true in the US and western Europe, but I don't think that's the case in Latin America.

Comment

Working...
                                X