Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    You could actually do worse than describe New Orleans as a cross between Compton and Hollywood.
    Yah
    That was too easy and let it go
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      You could actually do worse than describe New Orleans as a cross between Compton and Hollywood.
      Good to know I can still throw batting practice.
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Temple increased its public safety budget for fiscal year 2015 45% increase from five years prior. What school had their security budget halved during the period to make up for that one school? What about increasingly multi lingual curriculums? Costs due to increases in international students? And I'm sure the job of education today is possibly even easier than it was a quarter of a century ago when the internet made up 0.4% of the global population and the clam cell phone hadn't been invented yet.

I'm sure you're right...there's absolutely no way that any of this could contribute in any way to an increase in tuition.
        Given that SCSU had already wired the entire campus's college buildings (not yet the dorms), and that the Engineering & Computer Center already had the "Beehive" with some 300 PCs wired to the net, upgrading that infrastructure for current tech would have changed in nature (adding Wi-Fi routers, etc.), but hardly represented something out of budget. SCSU has added a nursing program, along with grad school studies, but those students would have paid extra fees associated with those courses, as I did for my physics lab course, and my computer courses.

The increased costs to the kids was in the form of higher wages for staff and faculty, along with making many (some unnecessary) updates to campus, like replacing the football stadium, adding an inflatable building for track and field, and other educational buildings focusing on engineering. Add to that, renovating various other older buildings, there are certain amounts of these increases that would be understandable. The problem is that these things shouldn't double the cost of tuition, in real terms (adjusted for inflation). There was clearly unnecessary spending happening because the post-secondary educators in this state were blind to reality - both demographically and economically. Enrollment had to decline. Because of that, revenue had to decline.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Given that SCSU had already wired the entire campus's college buildings (not yet the dorms), and that the Engineering & Computer Center already had the "Beehive" with some 300 PCs wired to the net, upgrading that infrastructure for current tech would have changed in nature (adding Wi-Fi routers, etc.), but hardly represented something out of budget. SCSU has added a nursing program, along with grad school studies, but those students would have paid extra fees associated with those courses, as I did for my physics lab course, and my computer courses.

The increased costs to the kids was in the form of higher wages for staff and faculty, along with making many (some unnecessary) updates to campus, like replacing the football stadium, adding an inflatable building for track and field, and other educational buildings focusing on engineering. Add to that, renovating various other older buildings, there are certain amounts of these increases that would be understandable. The problem is that these things shouldn't double the cost of tuition, in real terms (adjusted for inflation). There was clearly unnecessary spending happening because the post-secondary educators in this state were blind to reality - both demographically and economically. Enrollment had to decline. Because of that, revenue had to decline.
          Probably some additional modernization to the school since '95. Yet as I said before, I certainly don't disagree with your broader point and felt it was worth mentioning those upgrades. Not sure why simple concepts so often go through the ringer.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            Probably some additional modernization to the school since '95. Yet as I said before, I certainly don't disagree with your broader point and felt it was worth mentioning those upgrades. Not sure why simple concepts so often go through the ringer.
            Because unlike actual businesses, state universities lose their market adherence with few(er) repercussions. If Amazon were to double the price of everything on their site without inflationary pressures it's not really an issue as people start changing their preferred shopping location. When it comes to a state university, people start calling for more government aid without changing their habits in relation to the magnitude of the event. The various levels of government end up footing much of the bill as students cry out for more and more education money assistance. It's taken until the last couple of years for high school graduates, and even some in government, to start giving serious consideration to trade schools and other alternatives.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Because unlike actual businesses, state universities lose their market adherence with few(er) repercussions. If Amazon were to double the price of everything on their site without inflationary pressures it's not really an issue as people start changing their preferred shopping location. When it comes to a state university, people start calling for more government aid without changing their habits in relation to the magnitude of the event. The various levels of government end up footing much of the bill as students cry out for more and more education money assistance. It's taken until the last couple of years for high school graduates, and even some in government, to start giving serious consideration to trade schools and other alternatives.
              I've agreed with your statements on tuition to this point.

I would probably agree with your above subsidy statement with some nuance. But today, I don't have time to address feedback to my 'I agree and...' which is often read by others as 'I disagree'.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

For being such a "great" businessman, Elon Musk sure is a whiner when it comes to criticism...

Aww, Saint Elon's mad that the issues with the Model 3 went public, and made him look imperfect. So naturally, that's the media's fault.

Nothing like a casual hint of antisemitism in your screeds!

And all the lil' Teslabots, plus now some alt-Reichers follow him around and bleat "YAAAAAS!" to all of his anti-free press Tweets, just like Orange Droolius. Can't imagine why anyone would make the comparison.

Comment

Oof. That’s a bad look for technology Jesus. It’s got a crucifixion and everything.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Starbucks will be closed tomorrow for racial bias training.

I don't think this works how they think it works.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                      Starbucks will be closed tomorrow for racial bias training.

I don't think this works how they think it works.
                      Millions of Americans will discover that they don't need $7 coffee to survive.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        I can get a better deal on better tasting coffee at a local shop.
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

More info on what Starbucks is doing tomorrow.

I'll wager employees will "remember" this for a few days, then go right back to old habits.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Or the opposite
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              Or the opposite
                              This sounds more correct.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                Or the opposite
                                Oh goody! Meltdowns in front of Starbucks today. I wonder if therapy dogs will be placed outside every shuttered store to comfort the afflicted.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X