Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrimack 2018-19: It's Time For The Scotty Bo Show

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
    Any chance Dennehy gets a look at BU? I know he is a BC alum and his win loss record hasn’t been great, but I think there’s a compelling argument for him to take on a larger program.

Big men’s lax game tonight. I’m making some tentative plans to go to Gillette next weekend for the national championship game if they get thru this round.
    He is a BC guy so no way he gets the BU job.

I am hoping to go to the lax game at Gillette too. Went last year with a few friends from my class. Unbelievable time. Sucks that we lost but what a party. I watched the game last night on my ipad and they looked dominating. This is their year.
    Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Borek has reunited again with Jim Torterella. Told St A’s leaving and joining Merrimack staff.
      Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Not sure how I feel about this. Anyone know more about him??
        Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

He is a good coach of the game - excelled at Colby as an HC and UNH had a lot of goal prevention success when he was at UNH. How much of that was actually him versus UNH having its best (and deepest) group of puck moving defensemen of (arguably) its entire history is up for debate.

Peace and TVR are NHL regulars, while Kostolansky, Agosta, Knoedel, Cleland, Hardowa and Kipp all moved pucks quickly (and contributed a lot of offense). He also benefitted from a now NHL goaltender in DeSmith. All that said he likely deserves a lot of credit for how they played. UNHs defense has not been the same since (although that is likely due more to recruiting, ahem ahem)...

He's not going to offer much else - but (for better or worse) recruiting will be Borek's baby. With Ciocco as his right hand man. For what Tortorella will likely be asked to do, I'm not sure you could have done better. Good hire...
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Good luck today you guys, this is awesome.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/c...lacrosse_title

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
              Good luck today you guys, this is awesome.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/c...lacrosse_title
              Just got tix for tomorrow and can't wait. Going with a bunch of guys from my old dorm, 5 of whom are former lax players. Can't wait!
              Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

19-4 in the 4th quarter, I think it's safe to call it. Dominant performance, pretty entertaining. I hope this helps the cause to go to D1. I'll have to try and make it up to the stadium sometime.

Comment

Great win! Hopefully will help with the quest to make the D1 leap. It certainly seems like they are above D2 level talent.

Comment

19-4 in the 4th quarter, I think it's safe to call it. Dominant performance, pretty entertaining. I hope this helps the cause to go to D1. I'll have to try and make it up to the stadium sometime.
                    NATIONAL CHAMPS!!!

Can't wait to see that banner up on the new stadium.

P.S. Football and hockey are the only men's sports that did not make the NCAA tournament this year.. hope all the smaller sports get the love (financially) they deserve.

Comment

Great win! Hopefully will help with the quest to make the D1 leap. It certainly seems like they are above D2 level talent.
                      The jump from D2 to D1 is a huge leap in terms of talent and resources. What is wrong with being the big fish in a small lake?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

No doubt. Especially since that being in Division 1 hockey is working out so well..
                        Last edited by scoreboard; 05-27-2018, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          The jump from D2 to D1 is a huge leap in terms of talent and resources. What is wrong with being the big fish in a small lake?
                          McMahon had a pretty good podcast about this topic one time. There is the kind of “Go big or go home” thing going on in college athletics these days. The investment to be successful at the D2 level is not worth the returns. Might as well go D3 unless you are going to spend what it takes to be in D1 and get that kind of exposure.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Have to disagree.. with major sports like football.. yes, definitely. Sports like baseball, soccer, lacrosse, really are not that way. The only difference is $$$. Merrimack can afford to get a few top notch players for Lax or Baseball- players just as good as D1 talent.. the difference is a D1 school has the resources and scholarships to field their entire team with those players... where we can only offer a few full scholarships.

Basketball competed with UCONN, Lax competed with Yale.. the gulf isn't strictly in talent, it's in $ and resources.

By the way - the lacrosse team doesn't even have a full time assistant - or graduate assistant because the school doesn't allocate the funds to anyone but hockey. To become D1 you MUST have a minimum of 2 full time assistants.. as well as many other things.

I don't have a problem being the big fish in a small pond - but we all want to grow.. we're proud of our programs and want to see them on the big stage.. I think it's only natural. I also do not think we can sustain success like this at the D2 level because of what I jist mentioned.. the teams need more from the school. The money is there -- going D1 would force them to give lacrosse and all the other programs the additional resources they've been crying for for years. Right now success is primarily on the shoulders of 1 coach for each program. Very fragile. Again, the money is there.. they just raised $55million for athletics..
                            Last edited by MC Alumni; 05-27-2018, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Merrimack 2018-19: It's Time For The Scotty Bo Show

They didn’t raise 55 million dollars for athletics. They’ve raised 48 out of the targeted 50 million capital campaign for the entire college. Academics, facilities like the new business building, new housing and the stadium are all covered by that. It looks like athletics gets about 6 mil of the pie.

Details here: https://www.merrimack.edu/together-for-good/

You can blow thru 50 mil pretty fast. Let’s just hope they are spending it in the best way to meet the sustained long term goals of the college.
                              Last edited by Yuppie Scum; 05-27-2018, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MC Alumni View Post
                                Have to disagree.. with major sports like football.. yes, definitely. Sports like baseball, soccer, lacrosse, really are not that way. The only difference is $$$. Merrimack can afford to get a few top notch players for Lax or Baseball- players just as good as D1 talent.. the difference is a D1 school has the resources and scholarships to field their entire team with those players... where we can only offer a few full scholarships.

Basketball competed with UCONN, Lax competed with Yale.. the gulf isn't strictly in talent, it's in $ and resources.

By the way - the lacrosse team doesn't even have a full time assistant - or graduate assistant because the school doesn't allocate the funds to anyone but hockey. To become D1 you MUST have a minimum of 2 full time assistants.. as well as many other things.

I don't have a problem being the big fish in a small pond - but we all want to grow.. we're proud of our programs and want to see them on the big stage.. I think it's only natural. I also do not think we can sustain success like this at the D2 level because of what I jist mentioned.. the teams need more from the school. The money is there -- going D1 would force them to give lacrosse and all the other programs the additional resources they've been crying for for years. Right now success is primarily on the shoulders of 1 coach for each program. Very fragile. Again, the money is there.. they just raised $55million for athletics..
                                As a D2, you are grandfathered into the 1 sport for each gender exception to play up at D1. Since 2010, new playups are forbidden.

If you want lacrosse or baseball to move to D1, you have to move the whole athletic department to D1. That's expensive.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X