Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Detroit Lions: There Is Not Enough Fireball In The Country.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 Detroit Lions: There Is Not Enough Fireball In The Country.

They might get one more to get to 5-11, just by accident.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

And Todd Gurley pulls the Madden "turn at the 1-yard line to avoid scoring and eat the clock" on us.
      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Daniel Radcliffe of Harry Potter is apparently a Lions fan.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/enter...Tw283Tr9v1oRD8

Danny... go pick some other team. You deserve happiness. Not to be yelling at your TV every 3.5 seconds!
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D61z8Mirfss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXT9YG0FVUU
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Other teams as in "Whoever hires Jim Caldwell"
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

A tight end. I already forgot his name.

Did we need a tight end?
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

The guy I wanted went with the next pick.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Allen before, Oliver after, and a TE in between.
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Calvin just wants his money back. I don't blame him.

https://deadspin.com/calvin-johnson-...5LMKan6pVwJWX4

Comment

• Re: 2018 Detroit Lions: There Is Not Enough Fireball In The Country.

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                      Calvin just wants his money back. I don't blame him.

https://deadspin.com/calvin-johnson-...5LMKan6pVwJWX4
                      People in hell want ice water, too. Guess what?

His bonus money was predicated on the length of his contract. He decided to leave early. Therefore, he's not entitled to that portion of the bonus money. If the team had terminated the contract, then yes, that money would (and should) be his.

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                        People in hell want ice water, too. Guess what?

His bonus money was predicated on the length of his contract. He decided to leave early. Therefore, he's not entitled to that portion of the bonus money. If the team had terminated the contract, then yes, that money would (and should) be his.
                        I like how you equate hell with playing for the Lions (not necessarily undeserved mind you).

Didn't the Lions do this with Barry Sanders too? Any other franchise that does that with their all-time greats?
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          I like how you equate hell with playing for the Lions (not necessarily undeserved mind you).

Didn't the Lions do this with Barry Sanders too? Any other franchise that does that with their all-time greats?
                          The Lions didn't "do" anything with Barry or Calvin. All they did was enforce their rights in the contracts. Now, if the Lions had cut either of them, then the Lions can go pound sand in both cases.

Let's turn this around. What would stop any player from getting a big signing bonus up front, and then two years later say "I'm done. I don't want to play anymore, I'm keeping the money. Buh-bye!" These signing bonuses would dry up in a hurry. The players do NOT want that.

In the NFL, most salaries are not guaranteed. That's the way the CBA has been negotiated forever. However, signing bonuses are a way to get players guaranteed money up front, that the team can allocate over the length of the contract for cap purposes. If you sign a 5-year deal, the Lions can spread that bonus over the 5 year life of the contract. But it is also understood (and written into the contract) that bonus is for 5 years of performance. If you walk away after year 3, you owe the franchise for those two years that you decided not to play. If the franchise cuts you, well, they breached the contract, not the player, so the player gets to keep the money. However, any unallocated bonus money counts against the cap when the player ceases to play for that team, whether it be retirement or release by the franchise.
                          Last edited by Hammer; 06-02-2019, 05:46 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                            Any other franchise that does that with their all-time greats?
                            In most cases, I believe the aging star is cut by the team, or in some cases, an injury settlement is reached.

And Barry quit on the eve of training camp. He ****ed the Lions in the *** in that regard.

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              In most cases, I believe the aging star is cut by the team, or in some cases, an injury settlement is reached.

And Barry quit on the eve of training camp. He ****ed the Lions in the *** in that regard.
                              FWIW, our office used to sublet office space to Barry Sanders' agent, so I got to hear some very interesting stories re the Lions, Sanders' retirement, and how the two (Sanders and the Lions) were finally able to somewhat repair their relationship. From what I was told (coming from an agent mind you), is that the Lions are somewhat unique in how they handled Barry's situation (and from what it looks like, Johnson's situation).

They also represented Jerome Bettis, who I got to meet, which has nothing really to do with this, other than he was a very nice guy.
                              North Dakota
                              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Apparently the Lions are the pick for Hard Knocks this year.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                                X