14 Die When Truck Collides With Hockey Team's Bus in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    Yes, of course it was a rugby team. Thank you, I corrected my post.

Would it be morbid of me if I mentioned that if you liked the PBS American Experience program on the Donner Party you'll love this book?
    That's because you're hungry for information.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: 14 Die When Truck Collides With Hockey Team's Bus in Canada

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      That's because you're hungry for information.
      I always have been a voracious reader ever since I was a little kid reading sci fi stories in the 50's such as that tasty little morsel "To Serve Man" by Damon Knight. I think Rod Serling liked it, too.
      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-10-2018, 11:38 PM. Reason: No bucks stop here so....
      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

I've always found it difficult to understand how many parents are able to speak publicly about the death of their child so soon after their loss occurs. Maybe it's somewhat cathartic while the shock still provides a virtually impenetrable protective veil.

This father has my respect:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/f...loss-1.4614019

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          Totally. I can hardly imagine the pain he's had to deal with.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
            This is an accurate description of rural roads in Northern Canada for sure. Grew up on them, now live in Urban US. It’s different. Absolutely heartbreaking accident.
            Not really an accurate description of the road where this happened. (they my be like that further north) but this road was paved with shoulders, white lines, etc just like any other rural road in this part of the province and country. Road condition had nothing to do with this tragedy. It had proper signage that MAY have been ignored/missed by the truck. A grove of trees near the intersection MAY have impaired vision of the intersection, but the reconstruction teams have yet to finalize their investigation. Our country continues to reel from this tragedy and heart breaking stories continue to emerge. The GoFundMe account is now approaching $8 million for the victims and their families. the world has taken notice and responded. Rest assured, Canada will take care of them over the months and years ahead. It's going to be a long, tough battle for sure. #humboldtstrong

Check this out: https://www.bardown.com/humboldt-bro...time-1.1053151
            Last edited by SeymoreHockey; 04-11-2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
              Not really an accurate description of the road where this happened. ... It had proper signage that MAY have been ignored/missed by the truck. A grove of trees near the intersection MAY have impaired vision of the intersection, ... The GoFundMe account is now approaching $8 million for the victims and their families. the world has taken notice and responded. Rest assured, Canada will take care of them over the months and years
              since you missed part of the post she was agreeing to ...
              Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
              ... Truckers drive like maniacs because it is slow going on Canada's highways with the ridiculously low speed limits that almost nobody obeys. Truckers view themselves as owning the road, especially logging trucks, get in the way they would just as soon run you over. They'll do it even if you don't get in the way. .... I'm surprised there aren't more of these accidents.
              OK, it wasn't a logging truck, it was peat moss

yes, it is nice Canadians are ponying up, sure would have been nice if they had done the same for the girl hurt in the exhibition during intermission of the NHL outdoor game a couple years back, last I heard only the Bruins did, but not the league

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                I've always found it difficult to understand how many parents are able to speak publicly about the death of their child so soon after their loss occurs. Maybe it's somewhat cathartic while the shock still provides a virtually impenetrable protective veil.

This father has my respect:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/f...loss-1.4614019
                Thank you for posting that. What a beautiful testament by this father to his remarkable son. "Really dad, just get on with it already." I can't imagine.
                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-11-2018, 02:14 PM. Reason: Call your kids and grandkids today.
                "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                  Not really an accurate description of the road where this happened. (they my be like that further north) but this road was paved with shoulders, white lines, etc just like any other rural road in this part of the province and country. Road condition had nothing to do with this tragedy. It had proper signage that MAY have been ignored/missed by the truck. A grove of trees near the intersection MAY have impaired vision of the intersection, but the reconstruction teams have yet to finalize their investigation. Our country continues to reel from this tragedy and heart breaking stories continue to emerge. The GoFundMe account is now approaching $8 million for the victims and their families. the world has taken notice and responded. Rest assured, Canada will take care of them over the months and years ahead. It's going to be a long, tough battle for sure. #humboldtstrong

Check this out: https://www.bardown.com/humboldt-bro...time-1.1053151
                  The general point about the infrastructure of rural roads is still valid: they are different and more dangerous relative to what you see in other areas.

Intersecting highways with a 100km/hr speed limit (traffic probably goes 109 minimum, more likely 115 and some jerks faster than that), and it is controlled by a stop sign. I’m not saying it’s wrong, but I’m saying you don’t experience that everywhere (and that’s what I interpreted the poster saying as well).

I am glad there has been a response from the hockey community with the donations, it really is incredible. Obviously, this accident touched a nerve with people around the world. I have no doubt the people of Saskatchewan will support those affected in every way they can.

Comment

I agree with you on this Lindsay. Speed limits on these roads are often way too high, in my opinion. In Ontario, these types of roads have an 80 k speed limit. In Alberta, and SK it is often 100, and that's too fast, especially for trucks hauling heavy loads and intersecting with other similar type of roads. There are many things that factor in to this sad situation, including time of day, sunset, trees, small stop sign, etc, etc. The reconstruction teams are actively investigating but in the meantime, all of Canada is rallying to support these families and players. It all be a long and painful journey and anything we can do to help, we will.

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                    The general point about the infrastructure of rural roads is still valid: they are different and more dangerous relative to what you see in other areas.

Intersecting highways with a 100km/hr speed limit (traffic probably goes 109 minimum, more likely 115 and some jerks faster than that), and it is controlled by a stop sign. I’m not saying it’s wrong, but I’m saying you don’t experience that everywhere (and that’s what I interpreted the poster saying as well).

I am glad there has been a response from the hockey community with the donations, it really is incredible. Obviously, this accident touched a nerve with people around the world. I have no doubt the people of Saskatchewan will support those affected in every way they can.

Comment

I wonder if the truck driver will ever have a peaceful night's sleep for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                        I wonder if the truck driver will ever have a peaceful night's sleep for the rest of his life.
                        Only with the help of pharmaceuticals.

Comment

Death toll rises! #humboldtstrong

https://www.tsn.ca/saskatchewan-heal...gedy-1.1054165

Comment

http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/p...ckey-1.4615767

Comment

Inspiring message!! FYI, Ryan is from Airdrie, Alberta.

Comment

Yeah, degrees of separation. Funny how the human mind works that way.

My grandparents lived in a town not too far away and as a kid when visiting them during summer holidays I'd always here "Tisdale" mentioned...less often "Humbolt" and "Melfort". Later in life I met and discovered that my best friend's mother came from Carrot River. I've met a couple others who are from the area. (Ha, FWIW, Shannon Miller is from Melfort). This tragic event has rekindled lots of those memories. Such memories and past relationships always make you unconsciously assume or feel that you have a connection to such an event when that is not the case.

Saw in a grocery store today a colour poster taped to each cash register with the team's logo and colours (might have had a team photo as well, can't recall) requesting donations. With the embedded hockey culture across this country this tragedy has had a gigantic effect on the entire nation from what I can tell.

Comment

Working...
                                X