Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Thanks. Why didn't I think of that? Ugh.

GFM
    We try not to think of the NCHC and the ufgafarking of college hockey
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

With AQ, I believe there is some clause that if a certain number of teams had been playing at the D-I level before forming a new conference, they get the AQ right away. The CHA and MAAC/AH had to wait since most of the teams were new to the D-I ranks.

Hence the Big10 and NCHC getting bids right of the bat.
      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        Yes, but that's a new conference, and new conferences have typically had to wait their turn before getting the AQ. The CHA didn't have an AQ until 2004, after five years of operations. (I think that some of the wait there was because of the whole Findlay debacle and MAAC schools dropping the Oilers from their schedules at the last minute.)

GFM
        There was actually a proposal floated by several AHA/CCHA/WCHA coaches after the Big Ten and NCHC formed. It was for 3 seven team conferences and looked like this, or pretty close:

1) Mankato, Bemidji, Tech, NMU, LSSU, Ferris, Anchorage
        2) Niagara, Canisius, RIT, Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, Bowling Green, Fairbanks
        3) Air Force, Army, Holy Cross, Bentley, AIC, Sacred Heart, Huntsville

You would play each team in your conference four games and 2 each against a team from each of the other conferences.

Apparently it made too much sense.
        Last edited by davyd83; 06-02-2018, 05:32 PM.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

A 52 game regular season? Ballsy.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
            A 52 game regular season? Ballsy.
            You play each team in your conference four games for a total of 24. 2 games each with one team from each of the other 2 conferences for a total of 28.
            Last edited by davyd83; 06-02-2018, 05:32 PM.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              You play each team in your conference four games for a total of 24. 2 games each with one team from each of the other 2 conferences for a total of 28.
              A team v all teams. And, I assume Anchorage v Fairbanks each and every year??
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                With AQ, I believe there is some clause that if a certain number of teams had been playing at the D-I level before forming a new conference, they get the AQ right away. The CHA and MAAC/AH had to wait since most of the teams were new to the D-I ranks.

Thanks, Millsy. That's it.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

Isn't it 6 teams that have played against each other for 2 years, or something a little more specific? SCSU was originally invited to join so the league would qualify for an AQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                    Isn't it 6 teams that have played against each other for 2 years, or something a little more specific? SCSU was originally invited to join so the league would qualify for an AQ.
                    As a multisport conference with 6 conference teams, the B1G was getting the AQ no matter what.

The NCHC was different as it is a single sport conference. Normally that's a 2 year wait for the AQ, but the NCAA does make exceptions
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Seems the issue comes down to wanting or needing more NC games. True NC games not where you play a team from the conference.

Question then is, how to make a reasonable schedule and can everyone get more NC games?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                        Seems the issue comes down to wanting or needing more NC games. True NC games not where you play a team from the conference.

Question then is, how to make a reasonable schedule and can everyone get more NC games?
                        reduce the number of conference games...

"NCAA teams are allowed to play 34 games during the regular season, not including conference postseason tournaments and the NCAA tournament. Conferences may impose further restrictions. Some in-season tournaments, special games and games played in Alaska are exempted from the 34-game limit."

if you play a series with each team in the conference, you play 18 games and are left eight series or 16 games. and if you play two series with each team you are over at 36.

with the two-region idea suggested you would play a total of 26 games (eight series with your side and five series with the other). the WCHA last year played 28 conference games - i would gladly take two extra games.

in the case of tech, i would love them to play UMD, SCSU, UMn, and UW every year. not to mention a weekend tournament or two.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
                          in the case of tech, i would love them to play UMD, SCSU, UMn, and UW every year. not to mention a weekend tournament or two.
                          That would be nice except that MN & SCSU have no interest in playing Tech. WI has no interest in going to Houghton. (They think Green Bay is far enough - Four games in Madison and two in GB is a "fair" exchange of games.) UMD is the only one on that list with a remote interest in going to Houghton.
                          Ryan
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                            Seems the issue comes down to wanting or needing more NC games.
                            Honestly, all the WCHA needs to do is get each team in the conference to win two more of the existing number of conference games they already play. Having a 0.700 NC record is a world better than sub 0.500. If the conference was winning almost 75% of their non-conference games, no one would worry about HOW MANY the teams were playing out of conference.
                            Ryan
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              Honestly, all the WCHA needs to do is get each team in the conference to win two more of the existing number of conference games they already play. Having a 0.700 NC record is a world better than sub 0.500. If the conference was winning almost 75% of their non-conference games, no one would worry about HOW MANY the teams were playing out of conference.
                              Ryan
                              you are correct. BUT the conference is not winning the games they play; and since hockey can go either way sometimes, yes a lucky bounce, playing more games would probably be in our favor. i doubt our record can get any worse.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                                That would be nice except that MN & SCSU have no interest in playing Tech. WI has no interest in going to Houghton. (They think Green Bay is far enough - Four games in Madison and two in GB is a "fair" exchange of games.) UMD is the only one on that list with a remote interest in going to Houghton.
                                Ryan
                                In fairness to the Gophers, they do have 4 in-state non-conference teams that they make every effort to schedule, including road games. They are also once again playing traditional rival NoDak, and usually host their own tournament. There aren't a lot of openings on their dance card. As for Wisconsin? Yeah, that's just because Wisconsin is a bunch of jerks.

Comment

Working...
                                X