Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

some of these loops include schools (e.g., FSU) inside said loops.

what i find interesting is how far the colorado schools are... and that UAH is really not that far from WMU, MU, and BGSU.

geographically, and for the good of the game, there are tons of opportunity - and then comes what to do with ASU, UAA, and UAF...

which in my opinion should be in a conference that is really close to big cities; in the case of the new-WCHA, its not MTU, MQT, LSSU, etc, etc...

but could be denver, omaha, grand forks, cincinnati, minnie, etc, etc... places that commercial planes land more then two or three days per day.

pipe dream... but hoping MTU plays better teams PWR-wise is not. need to make that happen.

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
      since i can't do attachments... for whatever its worth;
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xtC...ew?usp=sharing
      Oh, that would be the sweetest justice ever. DU with CC, AF, ASU and two AK teams in a "Far West" hockey conference. I would pay good money to see DU get stuck playing in that conference. The only thing better would be to stick North Dakota with Canadian colleges.

Ryan
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        Oh, that would be the sweetest justice ever. DU with CC, AF, ASU and two AK teams in a "Far West" hockey conference. I would pay good money to see DU get stuck playing in that conference. The only thing better would be to stick North Dakota with Canadian colleges.

Ryan
        i am working on it...

hell... however crazy that is;

its only a six-team conference.

the number of NC games available, they can still play ND, UMD, and SCCU. and let's not even bother with omaha, miami, and western.

again, the idea of splitting the WCHA in two regions could help lots...

GO TECH GOLD!
        Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 06-01-2018, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
          You appear to be one of the learned hockey fans that does not know the difference between "Alaska" and "Alaska-Anchorage". I thought you Kentucky boys were smarter than that.
          LOL. There are more truth in your "Kentucky boys" comment than you realize.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
            i am working on it...

hell... however crazy that is;

its only a six-team conference.

the number of NC games available, they can still play ND, UMD, and SCCU. and let's not even bother with omaha, miami, and western.

GO TECH GOLD!
            6 team conferences get AQs.

That would make the Great Plains Hockey League of:
            UMD, BSU, MSUM, SCSU, UND, UNO
            (I see full barns on weekends)
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

CONF1 (6) - DU, CC, AF, ASU, UAF, & UAA

denver and phoenix have direct flights to anchorange and air force does not need help. all other places would only have one connection.

CONF2 (6) - UMD, BSU, MNSU, SCSU, UND, & UNO

no comment. its perfect.

CONF3 (6) - MTU, NMU, LSSU, FSU, WMU, & BGSU (or MU)

five michigan schools and a red-headed stepchild from ohio. BGSU is closer to all teams then MU.

then send UAH to replace AF in AH and send MU (or BGSU) to the B1G making it an even number at eight.

tons of NC opportunities with these six-team conferences.
              Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 06-01-2018, 11:23 AM.

Comment

CONF1

1,701 mile driving loop, 25 hours (does not include both AK schools since flying is the only option)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q1d...ew?usp=sharing

CONF2

1,321 mile driving loop, 21.4 hours

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nID...ew?usp=sharing

CONF3

1,383 mile driving loop, 21.9 hours

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OV5...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

• Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post

GO TECH GOLD!
                  One auto-bid per conference, no matter how many "regions or divisions.". Be better off just forming two conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                    One auto-bid per conference, no matter how many "regions or divisions.". Be better off just forming two conferences.
                    yeah, i get the bid thing. the reason for the divisions, two of them, would hopefully mean less travel and also more NC games.

in the current WCHA, put BSU, MNSU, MTU, and NMU on one side and LSSU, FSU, BGSU, and UAH on the other. and leave the two AK teams to float.

the top two from each side plus the next four best records (independent of side) make the playoffs. then seed them independent of regions.

again, reduce travel, play more NC games.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
                      yeah, i get the bid thing. the reason for the divisions, two of them, would hopefully mean less travel and also more NC games.

in the current WCHA, put BSU, MNSU, MTU, and NMU on one side and LSSU, FSU, BGSU, and UAH on the other. and leave the two AK teams to float.

the top two from each side plus the next four best records (independent of side) make the playoffs. then seed them independent of regions.

again, reduce travel, play more NC games.
                      I don't see that flying, but you could at least schedule those teams against each other more often and against the other sideless often. I don't think that's too much to ask.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Yes, but that's a new conference, and new conferences have typically had to wait their turn before getting the AQ. The CHA didn't have an AQ until 2004, after five years of operations. (I think that some of the wait there was because of the whole Findlay debacle and MAAC schools dropping the Oilers from their schedules at the last minute.)

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                          I've never seen it, and last I checked, we hadn't been thrown out ...

GFM
                          Also never seen, nor even heard of it here in Detroit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey John View Post
                            Yea, Minnesota State cares about BG and the WCHA. So much so that they have been trying for 2 years or more to get in the NCHC.
                            I was speaking for myself, not for the university.
                            My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              Yes, but that's a new conference, and new conferences have typically had to wait their turn before getting the AQ. The CHA didn't have an AQ until 2004, after five years of operations. (I think that some of the wait there was because of the whole Findlay debacle and MAAC schools dropping the Oilers from their schedules at the last minute.)

GFM
                              HEA got one right off the bat in 1985. IIRC, so did the NCHC.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

HEA got one right off the bat in 1985. IIRC, so did the NCHC.
                                Thanks. Why didn't I think of that? Ugh.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X