Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

It's unbalanced to begin with. Why would it be any different?
    Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    If you drop it that low, then you have to go with unbalanced scheduling, and I think that destroys league competition over time.

GFM
    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
      It's unbalanced to begin with. Why would it be any different?
      If you're razing the whole conference system and starting with something that looks like a national, divisional format, then you change a number of other things. It's a thought experiment — it's late May and college hockey is four months out.

GMF
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

it's late May and college hockey is four months out.

GMF
        Twist the knife a bit more, Geof.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
        LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
          Twist the knife a bit more, Geof.
          It'll be over soon enough, I promise.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
            The problem the last time around was those teams didn't want to travel to the U.P.
            And they still won't. Which is why it will likely be:
            NCHC = As is - WMU - MIAMI + BSU + MSUM
            CCHA = BGSU, WMU, MIAMI, FSU + pick four from AHA.
            WCHA = UAA, UA_, UAH, MTU, NMU, LSSU, ASU
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Why do you consider that likely, and why do you think that there will be three fully-western leagues and not the two that currently exist?

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

No way MTU accepts being in that version of the WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  No way MTU accepts being in that version of the WCHA.
                  Nor Arizona St
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I don't see teams like Robert Morris, Niagara, Canisius breaking off from AHA anymore. AHA has put a multi-year plan in place to allow teams to get up to the fully funded 18 scholarship level, if they so choose.
                    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                      I don't see teams like Robert Morris, Niagara, Canisius breaking off from AHA anymore. AHA has put a multi-year plan in place to allow teams to get up to the fully funded 18 scholarship level, if they so choose.
                      And so if 1-2 teams leave the WCHA without replacement, AHC will be a stronger conference.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Why do you consider that likely, and why do you think that there will be three fully-western leagues and not the two that currently exist?

GFM
                        Because the prevailing thought in college hockey is anything North of the 45th parallel between 84° and 90° longitude can go fu** themselves. "It's too far to bus, and their air travel accommodations suck."

And upon further thought, there likely wouldn't be a WCHA in that scenario.
                        Last edited by aparch; 05-26-2018, 03:22 PM.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

If BSU joined the NCHC, they would be destroyed year in and year out. Even if they were playing their MN/ND geographic rivals, they don't have the resources to compete long term. (No offense BSU fans.) On one of the Tech hockey pre-game interviews BSU was playing up the similarities between Tech and BSU. For me, I like similar schools playing each other.
                          I'm not so sure FSU would join that league. It could be just me, but when I was in MI, Western and Ferris was no Central v Western or Tech v Northern. As stated, I think there is no chance 1 let alone 4 AHA schools switch. The Lake Erie Basin (with the exception of Western NY and BGSU) is a D1 college hockey wasteland. If Miami and BGSU could convince Akron and Kent State to go D1 AND the money is better, then there might be a chance of pulling an AHA school or two.
                          I see no way the proposed WCHA survives. Travel costs would kill the league. Those are not big money schools. IMO ASU would cease D1 operations before they would join a league like that. I think ASU sees it as NCHC or bust.

College hockey, west of Buffalo will always be spread out with hard to get to places. Give it a few years and the NCHC is going to complain about going to Miami and CC. If Denver and North Dakota hit a few down years financially or they are trying to keep up with/stay ahead of MN/BC/BU they will turn on Miami and CC and having to "share" their winnings with them. No one will ever be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                            If BSU joined the NCHC, they would be destroyed year in and year out. Even if they were playing their MN/ND geographic rivals, they don't have the resources to compete long term. (No offense BSU fans.) On one of the Tech hockey pre-game interviews BSU was playing up the similarities between Tech and BSU. For me, I like similar schools playing each other.
                            I'm not so sure FSU would join that league. It could be just me, but when I was in MI, Western and Ferris was no Central v Western or Tech v Northern. As stated, I think there is no chance 1 let alone 4 AHA schools switch. The Lake Erie Basin (with the exception of Western NY and BGSU) is a D1 college hockey wasteland. If Miami and BGSU could convince Akron and Kent State to go D1 AND the money is better, then there might be a chance of pulling an AHA school or two.
                            I see no way the proposed WCHA survives. Travel costs would kill the league. Those are not big money schools. IMO ASU would cease D1 operations before they would join a league like that. I think ASU sees it as NCHC or bust.

College hockey, west of Buffalo will always be spread out with hard to get to places. Give it a few years and the NCHC is going to complain about going to Miami and CC. If Denver and North Dakota hit a few down years financially or they are trying to keep up with/stay ahead of MN/BC/BU they will turn on Miami and CC and having to "share" their winnings with them. No one will ever be happy.
                            A couple of years ago I proposed that the league own/ lease an airplane that they could base in Minneapolis and would pick up the Alaska teams and ferry them to the city they were headed for and vice versa. In addition it could be used to fly some of the more far flung games to each other, such as UAH vs BSU. That way all the Alaska travel went thru one city which would save money on air fare. So for instance it picks up BGSU at home and in two hours they are in Minny and connecting or vice versa. If you always had one Alaska team at home and one on the road it would work pretty well.
                            There is a company in New Braunfels, Texas that does this for teams down there as they have similar distances to cover, so it can be done. But the league has to be strong financially to hack it. Actually the difference between flying and a bus is not as big as you might think. Especially if you figure it saves you a hotel night on each end.

This is not a jet. (Jets are another 50% more money.) The Texas guys do it with a Dornier, which is a 36 seat turbo prop. If you own the plane the cost per mile is less than if you lease, but of course there's a lot that goes into owning.
                            it is more expensive than presently, but long term it would make staying in the league a lot easier.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Excluding Alaska, the B1G, and AFA.

Everything west of Michigan is WCHA 3.0
                              Everything east of Wisconsin in CCHA 2.0

On UA school to WCHA & the other to CCHA.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Excluding Alaska, the B1G, and AFA.

Everything west of Michigan is WCHA 3.0
                                Everything east of Wisconsin in CCHA 2.0
                                On UA school to WCHA & the other to CCHA.
                                Sorry, this is logical, so it isn't going to happen. Well unless there is some sort of clause where all Western revenue generated is shared equally between only UND and DU.
                                Ryan
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X