Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Results below. We had 66 responses. Some observations:

o 66 people read the WCHA thread. Nice! That's 66 more than who reads the Nacho thread.
    o Consensus is pretty clear:
    o Mankato picked to repeat
    o 3-way pick-em between BG, Northern, and Tech for 2-4 and home ice in the first round
    o Bemidji and Ferris sew up the 5 and 6 spots respectively
    o UAH sitting pretty in 7th
    o Toss-up between the Lakers and Nanooks for that last playoff spot (fascinating that after 66 entries only 4 points separate these teams)
    o Seawolves in 10th

Code:
    Rank	Team			Score
    1	Minnesota State		119
    2	Bowling Green		170
    3	Northern Michigan	204
    4	Michigan Tech		231
    5	Bemidji State		321
    6	Ferris State		411
    7	Alabama Huntsville	466
    8	Lake Superior		534
    9	Alaska			530
    10	Alaska Anchorage	644
    Scoring was based on adding up the individual rankings for each team (1 point for first, 2 points for second, etc.). The lower the score, the higher the rank. Lowest possible score would be 66, highest would be 660.

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post

o 66 people read the WCHA thread. Nice! That's 66 more than who reads the Nacho thread.
      o 3-way pick-em between BG, Northern, and Tech for 2-4 and home ice in the first round
      o Toss-up between the Lakers and Nanooks for that last playoff spot (fascinating that after 66 entries only 4 points separate these teams)
      o Seawolves in 10th

Code:
      Rank	Team			Score
      1	Minnesota State		119
      2	Bowling Green		170
      3	Northern Michigan	204
      4	Michigan Tech		231
      5	Bemidji State		321
      6	Ferris State		411
      7	Alabama Huntsville	466
      8	Lake Superior		534
      9	Alaska			530
      10	Alaska Anchorage	644
      Scoring was based on adding up the individual rankings for each team (1 point for first, 2 points for second, etc.). The lower the score, the higher the rank. Lowest possible score would be 66, highest would be 660.
      Not surprising results. That is about what I expected, and pretty dang close to what I selected. Seems like a reasonable expectation for this preseason.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

o Seawolves in 10th

Code:
        Rank	Team			Score
        1	Minnesota State		119
        2	Bowling Green		170
        3	Northern Michigan	204
        4	Michigan Tech		231
        5	Bemidji State		321
        6	Ferris State		411
        7	Alabama Huntsville	466
        8	Lake Superior		534
        9	Alaska			530
        10	Alaska Anchorage	644
        Not to sound like a sandbagger here, but the Mavs lost 2 40+ point scorers from last year, a defenseman who leaped straight to the NHL, and all of our goaltenders. Meanwhile, Tech and Northern both bring in a lot of momentum from last year, and BGSU appears loaded. I HOPE we win the MacNaughton, but I certainly don't EXPECT us to win the MacNaughton.

Comment

To help us get ready for the upcoming season I am attaching a poll where you can project the final WCHA standings for the 2018-19 season. Results will be averaged across the total number of entries so we'll find out what the group as a whole thinks about this year's teams. Also, it's anonymous so official members of the press can play along. Lastly, we're on the honor system -- only one entry per person (no stuffing the ballot box).

After a week I'll post the final results.

Entry Form

Summary Results
          I was actually about to post a carbon copy of the media poll that I'm conducting. I'll do that anyway, since I asked more questions: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8Q3RXDN

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
            Not to sound like a sandbagger here, but the Mavs lost 2 40+ point scorers from last year, a defenseman who leaped straight to the NHL, and all of our goaltenders. Meanwhile, Tech and Northern both bring in a lot of momentum from last year, and BGSU appears loaded. I HOPE we win the MacNaughton, but I certainly don't EXPECT us to win the MacNaughton.
            That pretty much sums up my feelings.
            My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

BGSU appears loaded.
              BG always seems to find a way to come up just short. Whether that be the regular season title, playoff title or an NCAA Bid........

Maybe this year is the year they finally get over the hump, but so far Bergeron has not proved he can get this team to win the big game.

Comment

The pre-season coaches' and media polls are out.

http://www.wcha.com/men/articles/201...n-champion.php

COACHES' POLL
                1. MSU-Mankato
                2. Northern Michigan
                3. Bowling Green
                4. Michigan Tech
                5. Bemidji State
                6. Ferris State
                7. Lake Superior State
                8. Alaska
                9. Alabama-Huntsville
                10. Alaska-Anchorage

MEDIA POLL
                1. MSU-Mankato
                2. Bowling Green
                3. Northern Michigan
                4. Michigan Tech
                5. Bemidji State
                6. Ferris State
                7. Alabama-Huntsville
                8. Lake Superior State
                9. Alaska
                10. Alaska-Anchorage
                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Seems the media and the USCHO posters are in almost complete agreement. Coaches not far off, either.

Comment

The upshot of those two polls: the coaches have no idea who's missing the playoffs besides UAA, and the slightly larger sample of media members (19 v. 10) differentiated things a bit.

No, I won't release the detailed responses.

If you're curious, my fan poll came to the following:

School (First Place Votes) — Total Points

Bowling Green (5) — 159
                    Minnesota State (8) — 156
                    Michigan Tech (4) — 148
                    Northern Michigan (1) — 146
                    Bemidji State —*104
                    Ferris State — 90
                    Alabama-Huntsville — 71
                    Lake Superior — 52
                    Alaska — 43
                    Alaska-Anchorage —*21

Picked to miss the playoffs on the 18 ballots: Alaska-Anchorage, 18 (3-9th, 15-10th); Alaska (10-9th, 2-10th), 12; Lake Superior, 5 (4-9th, 1-10th), Alabama-Huntsville, 1 (1-9th)

Fans self-identified as:
                    UAH: 3; UAA: 0; UAF: 1; BSU: 0; BGSU: 2; FSU: 1; LSSU: 1; MTU: 4; MSU: 3; NMU: 2; Undetermined, 1

GFM <— too lazy to put the teams together right now.
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Only real surprise to me is that the coaches picked UAH 9th.

Comment

Only real surprise to me is that the coaches picked UAH 9th.
                        The spread between 7th and 9th is essentially meaningless.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

I find it more interesting that MSU, MTU and NMU are the only ones getting love in National poll. I would have thought maybe BGSU would get some love as well....

EDIT: Saw MSU #10... I'm an idiot
                          Last edited by RaceBoarder; 09-24-2018, 04:04 PM.
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            The spread between 7th and 9th is essentially meaningless.

GFM
                            Not in late February...

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              The upshot of those two polls: the coaches have no idea who's missing the playoffs besides UAA, and the slightly larger sample of media members (19 v. 10) differentiated things a bit.

Bowling Green (5) — 159
                              Michigan Tech (4) — 148
                              Bemidji State —*104
                              Ferris State — 90
                              Alabama-Huntsville — 71
                              Lake Superior — 52
                              Alaska — 43
                              Alaska-Anchorage —*21

Picked to miss the playoffs on the 18 ballots: Alaska-Anchorage, 18 (3-9th, 15-10th); Alaska (10-9th, 2-10th), 12; Lake Superior, 5 (4-9th, 1-10th), Alabama-Huntsville, 1 (1-9th)

Fans self-identified as:
                              UAH: 3; UAA: 0; UAF: 1; BSU: 0; BGSU: 2; FSU: 1; LSSU: 1; MTU: 4; MSU: 3; NMU: 2; Undetermined, 1

You should have had 1 UAA voter...me.

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

Bowling Green (5) — 159
                                Michigan Tech (4) — 148
                                Bemidji State —*104
                                Ferris State — 90
                                Alabama-Huntsville — 71
                                Lake Superior — 52
                                Alaska — 43
                                Alaska-Anchorage —*21

Fans self-identified as:

How about for the players of the year, etc?

Thanks for compiling!!
                                AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Working...
                                X