Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Something I found mildly interesting was an average finish in the standings for each WCHA school since realignment. It plays out about like you would expect, but I thought it was interesting to see it on a computer screen. The average final standings are as follows:

1. Mankato
    2. Michigan Tech
    3. Bowling Green
    4. Ferris State
    5. Bemidji State
    T-6. UA-Fairbanks
    T-6: Northern Michigan
    8. Lake Superior
    T-9. UA-Anchorage
    T-9 Alabama Huntsville

A few things to note...
    Anchorage and Huntsville are the only two teams to be shut out of the playoffs four out of five years
    Fairbanks has fallen off considerably since 2015; 3rd and 4th in 2014 and 2015, followed by 8th, 6th, and 8th
    Ferris State finished first in 2014, but has been in 4th-6th purgatory ever since
    Michigan Tech looks like a big smiley face (or sad face, depending on how you like your charts) if you put their finishes in chart form...5th, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 5th
    Bemidji is all over the place...9th, 5th, 6th, 1st, 4th

Every team has qualified for the playoffs at least once
    Fairbanks, Bowling Green, Ferris State, Michigan Tech, Mankato, and NMU have qualified for the playoffs every year since realignment (well, Fairbanks would have made the playoffs in 2015 had it not been for that pesky NCAA ruling)
    Mankato has never finished below 3rd
    Lake Superior and Huntsville have never finished above 7th

Just some random offseason information. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Squarebanks; 07-31-2018, 05:50 PM.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      Something I found mildly interesting was an average finish in the standings for each WCHA school since realignment. It plays out about like you would expect, but I thought it was interesting to see it on a computer screen. The average final standings are as follows:

1. Mankato
      2. Michigan Tech
      3. Bowling Green
      4. Ferris State
      5. Bemidji State
      T-6. UA-Fairbanks
      T-6: Northern Michigan
      8. Lake Superior
      T-9. UA-Anchorage
      T-9 Alabama Huntsville

A few things to note...
      Anchorage and Huntsville are the only two teams to be shut out of the playoffs four out of five years
      Fairbanks has fallen off considerably since 2015; 3rd and 4th in 2014 and 2015, followed by 8th, 6th, and 8th
      Ferris State finished first in 2014, but has been in 4th-6th purgatory ever since
      Michigan Tech looks like a big smiley face (or sad face, depending on how you like your charts) if you put their finishes in chart form...5th, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 5th
      Bemidji is all over the place...9th, 5th, 6th, 1st, 4th

Every team has qualified for the playoffs at least once
      Fairbanks, Bowling Green, Ferris State, Michigan Tech, Mankato, and NMU have qualified for the playoffs every year since realignment (well, Fairbanks would have made the playoffs in 2015 had it not been for that pesky NCAA ruling)
      Mankato has never finished below 3rd
      Lake Superior and Huntsville have never finished above 7th

Just some random offseason information. Enjoy.
      Bemidji State has made the playoffs every year as well. The year you have as 9th, I believe they tied for eighth and had the tiebreaker. I would have to double check though.
      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
        Bemidji State has made the playoffs every year as well. The year you have as 9th, I believe they tied for eighth and had the tiebreaker. I would have to double check though.
        Ah, my bad.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

NMU also plays at Notre Dame on Tuesday, November 27th after playing the weekend prior at Lake State.

http://www.nmuwildcats.com/sports/mice/2018-19/schedule

Comment

Originally posted by MOJO View Post
            NMU also plays at Notre Dame on Tuesday, November 27th after playing the weekend prior at Lake State.

ND really set the schedule up nice during that time. Maybe they'll be rusty and NMU can take advantage early

Comment

• Originally posted by MOJO View Post

I really like it since the last 2 years of the CCHA, we played the Irish in Marquette and all I got to see of Compton was a building under construction and the sketches and plans in Coach Jackson’s office!
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by MOJO View Post
                A Tuesday night game... yep it looks like Notre Dame is fitting into the Bi6(7) mold nicely. Play hockey games when ever it doesn't conflict with football or bouncyball reruns on the Big Network...
                Ryan J
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  A Tuesday night game... yep it looks like Notre Dame is fitting into the Bi6(7) mold nicely. Play hockey games when ever it doesn't conflict with football or bouncyball reruns on the Big Network...
                  Ryan J
                  BGSU plays Tuesday night games fairly regularly to fill out their non-conference schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                    BGSU plays Tuesday night games fairly regularly to fill out their non-conference schedule.
                    Sure, that works when you have N teams in X-mile radius.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                      Sure, that works when you have N teams in X-mile radius.

GFM
                      Just saying, it's not just the Bi6 that does it. Sometimes, it's the only time available to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                        Just saying, it's not just the Bi6 that does it. Sometimes, it's the only time available to make it work.
                        Eastern teams do it, too.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

To help us get ready for the upcoming season I am attaching a poll where you can project the final WCHA standings for the 2018-19 season. Results will be averaged across the total number of entries so we'll find out what the group as a whole thinks about this year's teams. Also, it's anonymous so official members of the press can play along. Lastly, we're on the honor system -- only one entry per person (no stuffing the ballot box).

After a week I'll post the final results.

Entry Form

Summary Results

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                            To help us get ready for the upcoming season I am attaching a poll where you can project the final WCHA standings for the 2018-19 season. Results will be averaged across the total number of entries so we'll find out what the group as a whole thinks about this year's teams. Also, it's anonymous so official members of the press can play along. Lastly, we're on the honor system -- only one entry per person (no stuffing the ballot box).

After a week I'll post the final results.

Entry Form

Summary Results
                            OK, did everyone get the response of "Roll Along, You BG Warrior" or was that only if you picked them for first place?

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                              OK, did everyone get the response of "Roll Along, You BG Warrior" or was that only if you picked them for first place?
                              My bad. I copied the form from when I polled the folks on AZZ. Fixed. Apologies for the homerness...

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                                My bad. I copied the form from when I polled the folks on AZZ. Fixed. Apologies for the homerness...
                                It's all right! I appreciate the work you did on this. I just didn't want anyone thinking that my voting BG 1st meant that I WANT them to finish there. I dread it, but I think it's the most logical choice this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X