Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Over .500 in nonconference is totally doable.
    For Northern or for the conference? 30 non-conference wins for the league would be needed to get close to that .500 mark, and that could still be a stretch.
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
      For Northern or for the conference? 30 non-conference wins for the league would be needed to get close to that .500 mark, and that could still be a stretch.
      Until the WCHA teams can get more home non-conference games than road non-conference games, there should be little to no expectation of the league having a better than .500 record in those games. As a whole, they are scheduled to play 25 home/32 road/6-8 neutral. The math favors the opponents, which is why those schools refuse to give up the home dates or require the 2 for 1's. It shouldn't matter who you play and where, but in reality it does and will continue to be that way.

Comment

Originally posted by pbr View Post
        Until the WCHA teams can get more home non-conference games than road non-conference games, there should be little to no expectation of the league having a better than .500 record in those games. As a whole, they are scheduled to play 25 home/32 road/6-8 neutral. The math favors the opponents, which is why those schools refuse to give up the home dates or require the 2 for 1's. It shouldn't matter who you play and where, but in reality it does and will continue to be that way.
        Sure, but going 25-32-6 in NC would be great too. that would be an 80 point improvement over last season.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          CC at home should be two wins for UAA. CC is the doormat of the NCHC. I heard DU and UND were thinking of forming a new conference so they wouldn't have to play the likes of CC, Miami, Western, etc any more.
          Ryan J
          Split. Maybe we can suprise the flickertails in one game again. UA_ well that's a different story.
          Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

UAH’s schedule specifically states UAH will play Vermont and Northeastern.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              UAH’s schedule specifically states UAH will play Vermont and Northeastern.
              Thanks, I have made the change to the non-conference schedule.
              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Ummm....what? Anybody know/think there's any legitimacy to this? This seems to fly in the face of everything that we've heard out of BG for the alst 2 years.

http://www.ay-ziggy-zoomba.com/phpBB...hp?f=4&t=35222
                Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                  Ummm....what? Anybody know/think there's any legitimacy to this? This seems to fly in the face of everything that we've heard out of BG for the alst 2 years.

I think its terrible personally, we just need to figure out a way to lift up the rest of the conference and everything will be fine...much like the current NCHC, if we ditch those 4 teams, someone is going to be at the bottom of the new conference...

Comment

Sounds like BG is looking for "like minded" schools to join them. Smells a lot like NaCHo 2.0. I do not see how it helps NCAA hockey as a whole and, in my opinion, that should be a major consideration of any conference realignment proposal.

Those of us hard-core niche fans will be around no matter what happens, but in the big picture of sports entertainment, NCAA hockey isn't big enough or strong enough to screw it up without lasting consequences.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      I think its terrible personally, we just need to figure out a way to lift up the rest of the conference and everything will be fine...much like the current NCHC, if we ditch those 4 teams, someone is going to be at the bottom of the new conference...
                      ^^^ This

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

That smells exactly like a few of us thought could happen. Especially with BGSU retaining the rights to the CCHA name/logo/etc.

While I'm flattered they all think the UP schools (minus LSSU) would be on board with this... Talon's math doesn't quite add up.
                        He simplifies it as: NCHC=oWCHA - B1G and nCCHA = oCCHA -B1G
                        It really becomes: NCHC = oWCHA - B1G - MTU - UAA and nCCHA = oCCHA - B1G - UA_ + MTU

The three UA* schools get the short end in this scenario.
                        Last edited by aparch; 05-23-2018, 12:44 PM. Reason: Forgot to add MTU to the nCCHA
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          That smells exactly like a few of us thought could happen. Especially with BGSU retaining the rights to the CCHA name/logo/etc.

While I'm flattered they all think the UP schools (minus LSSU) would be on board with this... Talon's math doesn't quite add up.
                          He simplifies it as: NCHC=oWCHA - B1G and nCCHA = oCCHA -B1G
                          It really becomes: NCHC = oWCHA - B1G - MTU - UAA and nCCHA = oCCHA - B1G - UA_

The three UA* schools get the short end in this scenario.
                          Welcome to the fuzzy math of college athletics.

But I'm sure somehow it would be presented in a way that's "growing the game".

Although, from my perspective, something like this is what should have happened in the first place. Very few of the schools in college hockey have the resources to be a "national" team. It's still a regional sport. Maybe that will change in time, but right now it's still regional. I don't have a good answer for the UA_ "problem". It sure would be a step backwards to allow 3 programs that have shown extensive commitment to a sport to just fail.
                          Last edited by Bale; 05-23-2018, 12:44 PM.
                          Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

I didn't think anybody read our board

It was an interesting conversation. I did not get the impression AT ALL that anything was imminent OR likely; it was his opinion/desires based on the status quo. I also got the impression that LSSU was included in the yooperland mix. And it's not a secret we've held onto our dreams of a nCCHA rising from the ash-heap of long lost college hockey leagues. So take it for what it's worth, but let the speculation begin! Besides, we need something to talk about over the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                              I didn't think anybody read our board

It was an interesting conversation. I did not get the impression AT ALL that anything was imminent OR likely; it was his opinion/desires based on the status quo. I also got the impression that LSSU was included in the yooperland mix. And it's not a secret we've held onto our dreams of a nCCHA rising from the ash-heap of long lost college hockey leagues. So take it for what it's worth, but let the speculation begin! Besides, we need something to talk about over the summer.
                              Yeah, glad to see it's this crap again. I guess we'll speculate on what WCHA teams will drop next summer.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Some logic must come in College Hockey. There are 3 D1 teams in the state of Ohio and they are in 3 different leagues. I don't want to see any program lost, but some regional logic must enter the picture. Geof, UAH was improved last year and will be in a better place if, and when, logic returns to US College Hockey. The more that they improve, the better off they will be.

Comment

Working...
                                X