X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...00/215/231196/

As I posted yesterday, there are exceptions to the rule.

That was great; thank you.

Also, note:

David Allen, Seattle, Wash., Allen Dershowitz, Jeanne Baker, Rosenberg, Baker & Fine, Cambridge, Mass., for defendant-appellant.

So Dershowitz actually tried a case once. Surprised he could spare the time from his TV appearances.
    Last edited by Kepler; 04-17-2018, 08:29 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Why would it have to change? In a court, you pretty much have to declare that you represent your client, so that all goes through you first.

The point of being a lawyer is to represent your client- so in all legal matters, you HAVE to declare that. It can't be hidden.

There are very few courts in this government that are outside of the public info domain.

Not sure how this gets so twisted up, even.
      It gets twisted up because people either don't understand it or have very little real world experience with it.

People receive legal advice all the time without "declaring" who their lawyer is. I have a will that was prepared and no one other than my wife knows who drafted it. People take employment contracts to a lawyer to look at and no one "declares" to the public that relationship. People have a right to keep that confidential.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        It gets twisted up because people either don't understand it or have very little real world experience with it.

People receive legal advice all the time without "declaring" who their lawyer is. I have a will that was prepared and no one other than my wife knows who drafted it. People take employment contracts to a lawyer to look at and no one "declares" to the public that relationship. People have a right to keep that confidential.
        Good point. It seems to me (note: speaking from ignorance here) that the reason counsel has to identify themselves in court is that's what gives them standing to speak. Otherwise they'd just be some dude off the street with no role in the trial.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

After the Cohen thing I would be a little worried that if somehow the guy is crooked my name might get dragged through the mud.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            After the Cohen thing I would be a little worried that if somehow the guy is crooked my name might get dragged through the mud.
            As soon as you knew Trump was his client you would have fired him. Anyone with half a brain would have done so. Instead, Hannity kept the relationship and waited for the blatantly obvious to happen.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              As soon as you knew Trump was his client you would have fired him. Anyone with half a brain would have done so. Instead, Hannity kept the relationship and waited for the blatantly obvious to happen.
              Absolutely. I’m talking more going forward I think now that the precendent has been (very publicly) set people will be a lot more careful. I trust WeAreND and others that it is above board what the judge did, which is a surprise to me and I’m sure many others who aren’t lawyers.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                Absolutely. I’m talking more going forward I think now that the precendent has been (very publicly) set people will be a lot more careful. I trust WeAreND and others that it is above board what the judge did, which is a surprise to me and I’m sure many others who aren’t lawyers.
                It happened before now. If you've watched the news, etc, you probably have heard that the major law firms in Washington D.C. are refusing to take Trump on as a client. There is a very good reason for that.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                  Have I said a < bleep > thing about Trump?

What I have said:

How in the world is Sean Hannity drug into an investigation of Cohen representing an RNC < bleep >?

Hannity's name was swept up in Cohen's files as another client.

Something about that just feels wrong.
                  What exactly is Cohen being hired for is the question? There's scant evidence of him doing any actual legal work, and more of him arranging payoffs between his clients and sex partners outside of their marriages that they want to keep hidden. If Cohen is doing the same thing for Hannity, yet making it look like his doing all of this out of pocket (recall, that's his official story for the Stormy Daniels payoff which is patently absurd) how exactly is he being compensated? Who's actually paying him, or does he just hand out millions of dollars from his own personal funds willy-nilly? Is Hannity a co-conspirator in all this? Don't know, but lets find out.

What I find to be super interesting is why Hannity is trying to hide this. The dude has no ethics so I doubt he's worried about that. If he really is only asking Cohen for advice on small matters, why not just disclose that and be done with it? What's up with all the secrecy? Maybe he has a good reason but he needs to tell the court that.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Delete this thread

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                      Delete this thread
                      ?

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        ?
                        Its not about Bernie Sanders so trix wants it shut down.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          What exactly is Cohen being hired for is the question? There's scant evidence of him doing any actual legal work, and more of him arranging payoffs between his clients and sex partners outside of their marriages that they want to keep hidden. If Cohen is doing the same thing for Hannity, yet making it look like his doing all of this out of pocket (recall, that's his official story for the Stormy Daniels payoff which is patently absurd) how exactly is he being compensated? Who's actually paying him, or does he just hand out millions of dollars from his own personal funds willy-nilly? Is Hannity a co-conspirator in all this? Don't know, but lets find out.
                          Hannity pays him back by defending him & Trump on his show every night, trashing the FBI, etc. Quid pro quo.

Comment

Originally posted by dave122793 View Post
                            Hannity pays him back by defending him & Trump on his show every night, trashing the FBI, etc. Quid pro quo.
                            But Cohen's still out the 130K. How did he get his $$$ back? Somehow I doubt Hannity's on air bleatings are worth that much money.

My theory is this: Hannity asked him about paying off a woman to buy her silence, but then had a different lawyer actually do the deed. Recall Hannity claiming he has like 8 lawyers. But if he knew Cohen had experience with this he would have asked him for some free advice as to how to set all this up. That makes Hannity's denials technically true (never hired him, never had him settle with a 3rd party) while also making it super embarrassing if that ever came out.

Comment

Your theory makes a lot of sense. Hannity's excuse of it being about real estate is nonsense, Cohen was a personal injury lawyer to my knowledge before getting involved with Trump and likely has little to no legal expertise in real estate law.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                ?
                                I'm joking obviously but this talk about whether being the client of a lawyer (in this case as a fixer or w/e) is somehow privileged is hilariously dumb.

Comment

Working...
                                X