Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2018.1: ...And The Nationals Will Not Make It Out of the First Round

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    And the union would have a sh*fit.
    I doubt it. I would think the other owners would throw said sh*tfit first. But I think we've got to both know that the union and owners thought about this exact scenario when they negotiated this into the CBA in the first place.

Any way you slice it, there's going to be some subjectivity between teams as to when a player is "cleared" to play to start with.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      Well, the issue I see is this: what's to stop a team from clearing him to play after his initial stint on the 10-day DL?
      The fact that it would be blatant lying since it's already been reported he broke a bone and would be out 6-8 weeks.
      I don't think teams would do well screwing around with the league on the PED policy like that.
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

If I had to guess, this might be the tradeoff that was made a couple years ago, when they made PED offenders ineligible for the postseason. Cano can't play in any postseason games the Mariners have this fall.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

A's take the season series against the Red Sox. We were, like, atoms away from taking back-to-back series against the two best teams in the AL East (with the Olson call at Yankee Stadium being so **** close)
          https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
          https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
          NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
          Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

mookie has laid the kiss of death on all who grace his rotisserie team
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              mookie has laid the kiss of death on all who grace his rotisserie team
              Told you not to draft Margot Kidder.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                Told you not to draft Margot Kidder.
                and did mookie listen?!?!!?
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  If I had to guess, this might be the tradeoff that was made a couple years ago, when they made PED offenders ineligible for the postseason. Cano can't play in any postseason games the Mariners have this fall.
                  Apparently this is only possible because his ped case was prior to the injury (ny post). But it still doesnt look good.
                  PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Simple. On the active roster.
                    Then they simply put him on the active roster no matter his condition, start the suspension, and replace him anyway. Still doesn't solve anything.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                      It matters that he accepted with a broken hand and would have been out for several months. Hes basically getting a 40 game suspension instead of 80.
                      He's NOT GETTING PAID. That's a lot different than collecting paychecks because you broke your hand.

Plus, he was told he failed the drug test at the start of the season. It was MLB who delayed the suspension to investigate. It's just bad circumstances that he happened to get hurt when MLB announced the suspension.

Look, I'm never going to defend a PED user, but what people are suggesting is double jeopardy. And that's just not right. Not in this country.
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                        Then they simply put him on the active roster no matter his condition, start the suspension, and replace him anyway. Still doesn't solve anything.
                        The point is to punish the team. Not just the player. Jamming up a roster spot for half the year is kind of a big deal until September.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

He's NOT GETTING PAID. That's a lot different than collecting paychecks because you broke your hand.

Plus, he was told he failed the drug test at the start of the season. It was MLB who delayed the suspension to investigate. It's just bad circumstances that he happened to get hurt when MLB announced the suspension.

Look, I'm never going to defend a PED user, but what people are suggesting is double jeopardy. And that's just not right. Not in this country.
                          That word you keep using... .

Also that last sentence is kind of laughable. This isn’t a criminal court.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The ped rules are collectively bargained, so whatever they are, it wouldnt be double jeopardy. This isnt a tv court show.

If he was injured and then the ped case was resolved. He would NOT be able to serve them concurrently. So, your point about not being paid isnt even a consideration of the rules.

Only because he was injured after the fact, is he allowed to run them concurrently.
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

The question was "what's healthy enough to play?"

As for this, I don't see the big deal about allowing him to serve them concurrently. He's still f-cked. The idea of the punishment is deterrence. I don't think other athletes will think, "well, if I ever get a suspension I'll also break a bone. That'll get over on them!"
                              Last edited by Kepler; 05-16-2018, 08:13 AM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                The question was "what's healthy enough to play?"

As for this, I don't see the big deal about allowing him to serve them concurrently. He's still f-cked. The idea of the punishment is deterrence. I don't think other athletes will think, "well, if I ever get a suspension I'll also break a bone. That'll get over on them!"
                                I think we all get its coincidence. It also would be far less a story if it was a 5 day injury. It just feels like hes catching a break (pun intended).
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Working...
                                X