Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Anyone looking for a good read you might try, " The Russian Five" by Keith Gave. It's not just a sports book, which I find usually crummy.
    https://www.amazon.com/Russian-Five-.../dp/1947165178
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Only a few are really talented enough to be professionals. It's just way harder than it looks...Usually some, insert expletive here, thinks he is fast, comes roaring into turn one right after the start and collects 2 or three other guys in his trip to the grass.
      Ryan I encourage you to get a license,.. find a vintage car, which is a lot cheaper than that vette, and go racing.
      I've seen that first hand several times. Most recently I was at a Corvette gathering at Road America following the 2012 IMSA race. For a fee, they let ANYONE with a Corvette on the track (bone stock / no experience to full race prep'd licensed cars, all driving together... what could possibly go wrong?).

Guy with a brand new 2012 ZR1 (only ~630+ HP) goes out, does the pace lap, leads the pack down to the green flag bombing down the long front straight at gosh knows what speed. By the time I got to turn one he was 150+ feet into the gravel trap. Luckily for everyone it was only his car involved and he only suffered embarrassment, bruised ego and a car packed with pea gravel. I saw him leaving the track about an hour later after they pulled him out. He didn't even crack the front carbon fiber splitter so he got off REAL easy. On a four mile track he went roughly 4.25 miles (0.25 miles "at speed") before he was completely out of control.

Honestly the only thing keeping me out of wheel to wheel racing now is lack of space. In WI I had a nice 30x20 building with slab floor, heated, insulated, drywall, even connections for water that I never turned on... the whole nine yards with plenty of room for "toys." Now I'm in the Denver 'burbs with a two-stall garage. Unless I install a lift, I just don't have the space to put a track car. So as a result, my track car also has to be a street legal daily driver. If I was living somewhere else, I would likely be doing Spec Miata right now. Just no where to put it unless I rent space, which would strain the racing budget to the point where it would be too stressful.

Maybe years from now things will change again and the opportunity to go racing will present itself. For the time being I'll just keep working on "driver modifications" and be ready if the opportunity arises. Likely making my first trip to Utah Motorsports Campus next month with NASA so another new track to learn...

Ryan
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        I've seen that first hand several times. Most recently I was at a Corvette gathering at Road America following the 2012 IMSA race. For a fee, they let ANYONE with a Corvette on the track (bone stock / no experience to full race prep'd licensed cars, all driving together... what could possibly go wrong?).

Guy with a brand new 2012 ZR1 (only ~630+ HP) goes out, does the pace lap, leads the pack down to the green flag bombing down the long front straight at gosh knows what speed. By the time I got to turn one he was 150+ feet into the gravel trap. Luckily for everyone it was only his car involved and he only suffered embarrassment, bruised ego and a car packed with pea gravel. I saw him leaving the track about an hour later after they pulled him out. He didn't even crack the front carbon fiber splitter so he got off REAL easy. On a four mile track he went roughly 4.25 miles (0.25 miles "at speed") before he was completely out of control.

Honestly the only thing keeping me out of wheel to wheel racing now is lack of space. In WI I had a nice 30x20 building with slab floor, heated, insulated, drywall, even connections for water that I never turned on... the whole nine yards with plenty of room for "toys." Now I'm in the Denver 'burbs with a two-stall garage. Unless I install a lift, I just don't have the space to put a track car. So as a result, my track car also has to be a street legal daily driver. If I was living somewhere else, I would likely be doing Spec Miata right now. Just no where to put it unless I rent space, which would strain the racing budget to the point where it would be too stressful.

Maybe years from now things will change again and the opportunity to go racing will present itself. For the time being I'll just keep working on "driver modifications" and be ready if the opportunity arises. Likely making my first trip to Utah Motorsports Campus next month with NASA so another new track to learn...

Ryan
        it doesn't happen every race, but you have to work up to the best braking point a little at a time. I keep one car in the garage, even in the winter and one car outside. My race car uses less than 1/3 of the garage. ( if I really worked at it, I could in the winter shoehorn both cars and the race car in.) I know guys with stackers but I have a couple of friends in Denver who keep their car at the race shop and it's minimal extra cost. about 60 bucks a month. I'd love to have one of those huge garages but in a condo, its not happening. Go out to High plains raceway and crew for someone, that's the best way to get more information... and free parties. It's a blast I can tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          I would think Brooks remains until the WMU job opens up, and Steward, Idk. I really like the staff as a whole and hope it sticks for a couple seasons
          when WMU announced andy m. they said "a NCAA championship within 10 years" - 10 years comes up in 2021.

he will be over 70 years old... unless he is trying to beat jerry york, expect a retirement soon?

and the coach(es) WMU hires will say lots about their commitment not only to a championship but more importantly to the NACHO.

and besides a possible HC gig, i can also see brooks becoming an assistant there... on this way to "bigger and better" things.

regardless, the coaching trio we have now, beats what we had with mel, joe, and gary (he came across as lazy to me).

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
            when WMU announced andy m. they said "a NCAA championship within 10 years" - 10 years comes up in 2021.

he will be over 70 years old... unless he is trying to beat jerry york, expect a retirement soon?

and the coach(es) WMU hires will say lots about their commitment not only to a championship but more importantly to the NACHO.

and besides a possible HC gig, i can also see brooks becoming an assistant there... on this way to "bigger and better" things.

regardless, the coaching trio we have now, beats what we had with mel, joe, and gary (he came across as lazy to me).
            Agreed. these guys are very very good at what they do. When you are that good, others are watching and you get opportunities. I'd like to see them all get a raise though. I think they deserve that.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              Agreed. these guys are very very good at what they do. When you are that good, others are watching and you get opportunities. I'd like to see them all get a raise though. I think they deserve that.
              With the bump in Grant Potulny's salary it may be overdue

Comment

The second off-season edition of the Joe Shawhan Hour is scheduled for 8:45am on Monday June 11 on Mix 93 WKMJ.

Comment

Are they announcing your hiring as the new Director of Hockey Opps?
                  Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                  The second off-season edition of the Joe Shawhan Hour is scheduled for 8:45am on Monday June 11 on Mix 93 WKMJ.
                  Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                    Are they announcing your hiring as the new Director of Hockey Opps?

Not any time soon. If I could convince my wife to move to the Copper Country, maybe. But the chances are the same as Tech winning both the Big Ten and ECAC playoff titles next season.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                      Early start. Thanks for the announcement. I was wondering when the next one was.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                        Early start. Thanks for the announcement. I was wondering when the next one was.
                        Any updates around the rink?

Comment

MTU updated their schedule for the GLI from the expected Fri/Sat Dec 28/29 to Sun/Mon Dec 30/31.

There was talk that LCA would adjust for the GLI, but obviously college hockey continues to get whatever is left.

It says Michigan vs Tech is slated for a 1:00 start. I am going to be there for that first game regardless of the day or time, but was hoping for the normal scheduling again this year.

Comment

That's interesting. I thought the Wings always played on 12/31?

Any word on when season tickets will be on sale? Website still has 2017-18 info.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                              That's interesting. I thought the Wings always played on 12/31?

Any word on when season tickets will be on sale? Website still has 2017-18 info.

If you are a current season ticket holder they are on sale now and you have until July 13 to reclaim your seat(s). 16 home games and a possible 3 playoff series. If you renew by July 13 you receive a early bird promotion discount of 15% off the regular season price.

Beginning July 16 all unclaimed reserved seat will go on sale to the general public.

I received this notice on June 5th
                              MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                              2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
                                If you are a current season ticket holder they are on sale now...
                                Unfortunately I am not a season ticket holder... yet.

I am thinking about getting a half season package for Saturday games because I cannot make it to Houghton on Fridays. Otherwise I might just get the whole season and find someone to take the tickets I can't use.

Comment

Working...
                                X