Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
    I see for the Saturday game against Duluth it says sold out. You can't even click on the Buy Tickets icon. Just wondering if standing room tickets are all sold out too. That place should be rockin' a week from from Friday. Friday's game still has tickets that are available, but not many left to purchase.
    Makes this week's intrasquad game super important.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
      Did we miss something in the parents section last season? I'm on the opposite side of the ice so I miss the action over there. What happened?
      Check your reputation..

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
        I see for the Saturday game against Duluth it says sold out. You can't even click on the Buy Tickets icon. Just wondering if standing room tickets are all sold out too. That place should be rockin' a week from from Friday. Friday's game still has tickets that are available, but not many left to purchase.
        Ahh crap. I find that surprising that they'd be sold out already.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          Almost surely, it's just that the standing room tickets haven't been made available yet.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
            tJohnson's Jerseys knows that the fans in the Copper Country love their Huskies. He also knows that they wouldn't leave a bunch of seats open for fans that might cheer for the incorrect team when visiting from out of town. tJJ suggests you go find a Max Vallis jersey and wear it with pride.

And now the countdown rolls on (in first person) and we hit the Top 10 with none other than the Copper Country's own, Tanner Kero. Tanner wasn't part of the Huskies when these jerseys were first worn in 2008 and his jersey was ordered at a later date. The jerseys that were ordered for future seasons as new players joined the team didn't get the silver striping in the body of the jersey like the Seigo jersey shown below from the initial set. (I never noticed this difference until I had the jerseys in hand.) This set of jerseys would be worn all the way through the end of the 2011-12 season. The 2012 off season marked the end of the Huskies association with OT Sports.

Interesting note regarding the end of OT Sports and their dazzle jerseys: The following season the Huskies unveiled three new sets of unbranded jerseys. Those jerseys were in fact Reebok, but for some reason the team cut off all of the Reebok patches before they ever saw the ice. I imagine it was part of the terms of sale (or someone at Tech at the time didn't like the terms of the sale) because the following season the team put the Reebok patches back on the jerseys again.

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Tech Hockey Guide is back with Mike Anleitner's State of the Union: WCHA Edition:

https://techhockeyguide.com/2018/10/...-wcha-edition/

My breakdowns of the position groups should be out later this week and hopefully I'll get a WCHA preview out early next week.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                nope, can't root for UMD, their fans arrogance is getting close to exceeding all other fanbases...
                Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                tJohnson's Jerseys knows that the fans in the Copper Country love their Huskies. He also knows that they wouldn't leave a bunch of seats open for fans that might cheer for the incorrect team when visiting from out of town. tJJ suggests you go find a Max Vallis jersey and wear it with pride.
                Biddy is still surprised, perhaps having the defending national champions bring some cashe. Biddy will wait until he goes to a game where he can cheer for Tech in January before wearing his prized Vallis jersey.
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Retracting statement... there are still some single reserved available for Saturday. Somebody jumped the gun at Tech. You can now click to buy; yesterday it said sold out. Standing room would still be available.
                  MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                  2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Evening all. JSH was full of good stuff yesterday. A few highlights included explanations on the obvious "elephant in the room" regarding Munson, recruiting, and progress reports from practice. The Munson topic was addressed in general but understandable terms with a Team First mentality as Joe leaned on his player managers for decision making assistance. Recruiting was touched on and I applauded Joe's explanation on why recruit commits have been slow for MTU this year saying his strategy is finding quality over quantity, getting guys who buy into the organization. The tactic makes sense to me, especially knowing the education level MTU recruits can also achieve. On a recruiting tangent, I'm nitpicking but has anyone seen the collegehockeyinc.com recruiting page picture of the MAC? It's arguably the most mundane picture of all D1 teams. Who manages that site? Finally, Joe focused hard on center starters heading into game one. Sounds like he's high on Reitmeier and the freshman Halonen. Who's starting in goal...Jurusik a lock?
                    The U.P. should be the 27th star on Old Glory.

Comment

...AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! We're now down to jerseys with only single digits on them and into the homestretch of the Huskies off-season. This Malcolm Gwilliam jersey (worn 2008-10) is from the second and final set of the gold alternates from OT Sports. This set can be identified by the "MICHIGAN TECH" in the tail of the "Huskies" crest. In contrast, the previous set of golds lack this detail as shown below with the #6 Lars Helminen jersey from 2005-07. Really no other major differences between the two sets although the newer jersey does have a captain's "C" which was done in the same font as the player numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by walktheline View Post
                        Evening all. JSH was full of good stuff yesterday. A few highlights included explanations on the obvious "elephant in the room" regarding Munson, recruiting, and progress reports from practice. The Munson topic was addressed in general but understandable terms with a Team First mentality as Joe leaned on his player managers for decision making assistance. Recruiting was touched on and I applauded Joe's explanation on why recruit commits have been slow for MTU this year saying his strategy is finding quality over quantity, getting guys who buy into the organization. The tactic makes sense to me, especially knowing the education level MTU recruits can also achieve. On a recruiting tangent, I'm nitpicking but has anyone seen the collegehockeyinc.com recruiting page picture of the MAC? It's arguably the most mundane picture of all D1 teams. Who manages that site? Finally, Joe focused hard on center starters heading into game one. Sounds like he's high on Reitmeier and the freshman Halonen. Who's starting in goal...Jurusik a lock?
                        I really appreciate Joe's attitude on recruiting. While it has been slow, his crew did a fantastic job recruiting last year and there isn't much they need to fill right now and no need to rush to a decision without whoever they get being a bonafide stud.
                        On defense, we only lose Ford if we can't get a medical redshirt...I'm guessing his stop will be taken by the youngest Watson.
                        On offense, we lose the captain trio...and we have five guys potentially lined up to come in next year. 2 are pretty big question marks as far as eligibility and "cleaning up" the mess Mel left.
                        At goal, Kero is done and we replace with Pietila...
                        So next year is 99% set.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

We're now just a couple days from seeing the Huskies take the ice for their intrasquad game and EIGHT days from a game that matters. It will be the first opportunity for this year's monster size freshman class to show what they can do. Today's jersey takes us back to the mid-80s and another huge incoming class of 10 new Huskies. As with many of the jerseys from the 1980s, I haven't really nailed down with 100% certainty when each style was used, mainly due to the lack of photos to reference. In the photo below we have the 1984-85 frosh including #8 George Hamilton (back row, center).

As you can see in the photo below, these jerseys were worn with names but I have never seen one with the name still attached. In the early 1990s, Tech cleaned house and sold dozens and dozens of old jerseys to a sports dealer in down state Michigan. Tech stripped all the names off the back of the jerseys, but also sent a pile of old nameplates with the jerseys to the dealer. They admitted to putting some of the names back on, but unfortunately they simply matched names and numbers from a Tech yearbook. So in some cases names were put on a jersey of a style that the player never wore, adding to my confusion of trying to figure out the era of use.

Although all of the jerseys were long gone when I learned about this, the dealer was nice enough to share a copy of the hand written list that the school sent with the jerseys stating the names and year(s) of use (I don't think some of it was accurate). This set of black jerseys was listed as 1989-90 so it is possible that was the last year of use. This #8 jersey was acquired in a trade with a collector from Germany. Why and how it managed to get across the pond initially is a mystery but it a good example of just how far and wide one needs to look to find some of these older jerseys.

Comment

Mark Maroste wore #8 his freshman year (Rick Boehm was a senior) in 1981-82. He then switched to #15. After college Maroste played in the German Elite league for a few years. I don't remember if this set was worn in 81-82, but it could be a connection.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

As with many of the jerseys from the 1980s, I haven't really nailed down with 100% certainty when each style was used, mainly due to the lack of photos to reference. In the photo below we have the 1984-85 frosh including #8 George Hamilton (back row, center).

The player you're referencing is Graham Hamilton, a 2 year player from 84-86. Graham only played 15 games in his career and did not register a point. His brother Geordie was a 4 year letter winner for the Huskies and wore #21 and #28 and fared much better, tallying a point line of 49-69=118. The Hamilton brothers were from Hershey, PA and make up 2/3 of all Tech hockey players to hail from the Keystone State (Rick Keller 75-79 is the only other one). These black jerseys debuted in the fall of 1984 when the Huskies rejoined the WCHA after 3 years in the CCHA, all of which featured the Cooperall look. Jim Nahrgang pushed for the look change, and the #8 jersey would have been worn by that year's captain Dave Reierson - but he switched to #5 after wearing #8 his freshman year (taking #5 after the departure of his first defensive partner Mike O'Connor).

And as far as nameplates, to cut any confusion he appeared as "GR. HAMILTON" and Geordie's plate was "GE. HAMILTON".

After 1986, Jim Carroll wore #8 from 1986-90.
                              Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 10-05-2018, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Very cool info regarding yesterday's jersey and the Cooperall era. Time to make some updates to my website - thanks!

One week from today, we'll be watching Michigan Tech playing real hockey! Coming in with jersey #7 is Tech's most recent player to establish himself as a legit NHL regular - Jujhar Khaira. This set of black jerseys spanned Khaira's entire career in a Huskies uniform... one season. Other than some special alternate jerseys, I can't recall too many sets of jerseys that only lasted one season in recent history with Tech. From my memory the list would be the 1993-94 home Piano Dog, the 1993-94 throwbacks, military tribute camo 2017 and these black jerseys from 2013-14. After his lone season at Tech, where he put up a very respectable 25 pts in 37 games, he played one season in the WHL before turning pro. After two full seasons in the AHL, he finally got his break in Edmonton and has seen increasing time in the NHL each season. In 2017-18 he spent the entire year with the Oilers posting 21 pts in 69 games. It appears he will continue to be a regular with the Oilers in the near future as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X