Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

It is almost beyond belief that two cities built on a 45 degree slope could have flooding, but the current situation looks very similar to Duluth, MN a few years ago. Once the water gets under the road, it's all over for the road. I watched a video of someone that walked Agate top to bottom and in short the bottom 2/3 of the road washed down into Hwy 41.

Ryan
    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 06-18-2018, 07:37 AM.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      It is almost beyond belief that two cities built on a 45 degree slope could have flooding, but the current situation looks very similar to Duluth, MN a few years ago. Once the water gets under the road, it's all over for the road. I watched a video of someone that walked Agate top to bottom and in short the bottom 2/3 of the road washed down into Hwy 41.
      Ryan
      Seems it is mostly steep roads or roadways with steep sides to them and the business' around those areas. Looking at the Tech WEB cams, campus looks fine. mostly hit the Admin building especially where they put the very low parking area off of 41. if I remember right that area is blocked off by walls. Biggest issue is that the Admin building supposedly is a hub for power distribution on campus and that build was flooded.

As many remember Agate is steep and long, can see that washing out once the waters got under the road.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        Seems it is mostly steep roads or roadways with steep sides to them and the business' around those areas. Looking at the Tech WEB cams, campus looks fine. mostly hit the Admin building especially where they put the very low parking area off of 41. if I remember right that area is blocked off by walls. Biggest issue is that the Admin building supposedly is a hub for power distribution on campus and that build was flooded.

As many remember Agate is steep and long, can see that washing out once the waters got under the road.
        I would be surprised if the Admin building is the power hub for campus. About 10 years ago they installed a new set of baby-**** yellow back-up generator sets in the facilities building right on the portage, I would imagine, with that hub of backup power in that building, that would be the hub for power for campus.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          I would be surprised if the Admin building is the power hub for campus. About 10 years ago they installed a new set of baby-**** yellow back-up generator sets in the facilities building right on the portage, I would imagine, with that hub of backup power in that building, that would be the hub for power for campus.
          Their words not mine.

Campus closed Monday, June 18
          Since early Sunday afternoon, the Incident Command Team (ICT) and University leadership have been monitoring the status of two critical issues that impact a decision to reopen campus.

First, the roads in and around our community have sustained extensive damage. ICT is in contact with Houghton County regarding the status of road safety and navigability.

Second, power to campus has temporarily been shut down. The Administration Building sustained some flooding in the basement, which is a hub of electrical power distribution. Safety is of paramount importance, and Facilities personnel are working to resolve the situation in the Administration Building before returning power to campus.

The admi does seem to be a strange place to be a power hub. Curious what all that rain did to the football field being built. Have not heard any comments if the rain affected the rink.

Comment

Just received the following through the SDC distro:

Michigan Tech, including the SDC, will be open on*Tuesday, June 19,*for regular business hours. All scheduled programming will run as normal.*

Since the ice went in last week, it should fall under scheduled programming.

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hope all of you are safe. So heartbreaking to see the destruction from the storm.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

The National Guard has arrived in Houghton. Hopefully the restoration can continue. So sad to hear of the passing of a young life.
                My parents were born in the Copper Country on border towns of Allouez and Ahmeek. The community will rally and I see great things ahead. I would never have believed in a 100 years that the Copper Country could have been impacted by a natural disaster of this magnitude. Please donate if you can.

Comment

Clean UP is going well in Houghton. National Guard is here and we are getting help from Ford Motor Company to kids with lemonade stands donating money. Supplies coming in from as far as Missouri. Marquette (our arch enemy in hockey) is sending help. Firefighters from Wisconsin and Minnesota. Locals turning out big time. Saw as explanation on how all ages help clean mud out of basements. Strongest shovel mud into buckets. Next strongest form bucket line to haul it up steps. Next strongest haul it on flat ground to waiting containers. Children run empty buckets back to basement. Anybody with a piece of heavy equipment is out and helping. It's a wonderful feeling community. Teams of little leaguer are playing their nighttime games and then going to work for a couple of hours. Hockey teams out working. Those who can't do heavy work are making sandwiches, organizing work schedules, passing out water, putting together work kits for homeowners. And there is no whining or complaining, or "why us?" stuff going on. I'm just hitting on a little bit of the extraordinary effort going on.
                  Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                  "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                  Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I am going over this seasons schedule and looking at travel possibilities. Am going to make a real effort to make it to Anchorage. Love the trip to Huntsville too and Wisco too.

Are many going to Clarkson? I would love to make that trip - Ann Arbor and Huntsville are as far east as I've been. Also would love to see a huge turnout of Tech fans - show those eastern teams how us western teams travel.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                      I am going over this seasons schedule and looking at travel possibilities. Am going to make a real effort to make it to Anchorage. Love the trip to Huntsville too and Wisco too.

Are many going to Clarkson? I would love to make that trip - Ann Arbor and Huntsville are as far east as I've been. Also would love to see a huge turnout of Tech fans - show those eastern teams how us western teams travel.
                      If you're going to Potsdam, hotel accommodations are limited. Eating is good, post game has varied options.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        If you're going to Potsdam, hotel accommodations are limited. Eating is good, post game has varied options.
                        at my age, finding a hotel bed is my idea of postgame. If I really want to epic road trip, I would leave Houghton, drive to Madison, watch games, drive to Huntsville, watch games, drive up to Potsdam, watch games and then long haul it to Tucson. no way. it would have to be Huntsville to Tucson and a flight to Potsdam. is there an airport in Potsdam? or is it a fly and drive?
                        Boosh Factor 4

Comment

or do Wisco, Huntsville, Ferris, Clarkson, Tucson. someone stop me. and I'd be traveling with 2 cats and a puppy. yes, stop me. Wisco, Huntsville, a flight to Clarkson makes more sense. Are we doing the full on push to Clarkson, pep band going, Misfits, alum??
                          Boosh Factor 4

Comment

at my age, finding a hotel bed is my idea of postgame. If I really want to epic road trip, I would leave Houghton, drive to Madison, watch games, drive to Huntsville, watch games, drive up to Potsdam, watch games and then long haul it to Tucson. no way. it would have to be Huntsville to Tucson and a flight to Potsdam. is there an airport in Potsdam? or is it a fly and drive?
                            Postage stamp airport. Nearest major airport is Ottawa. You can fly to Ogdensburg or Massena, but neither airport has rental cars.

US major airports are Syracuse or Albany.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Postage stamp airport. Nearest major airport is Ottawa. You can fly to Ogdensburg or Massena, but neither airport has rental cars.

US major airports are Syracuse or Albany.
                              oh wow! good friends in Syracuse. and Ottawa! one of my favorite cities. this trip looks better and better. Clarkson or Anchorage??? What say you Tech fans??
                              Boosh Factor 4

Comment

oh wow! good friends in Syracuse. and Ottawa! one of my favorite cities. this trip looks better and better. Clarkson or Anchorage??? What say you Tech fans??
                                We're both Tech. We haven't forgotten Lou Angotti.

Potsdam is an eastern Bemidji minus the lake and large statue.
                                Last edited by joecct; 06-27-2018, 01:53 PM.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X