Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Home games and the gate $$$$ are all too important now for "Power Teams". Unless you can guarantee a payout equal or more to what they would receive from hosting a weekend of home games, these "Power Teams" aren't going to travel anymore.
    It doesn't have to be whatever you consider a "Power Team" there are plenty of other teams that are good enough and valuable enough to have on the NC schedule to invite to this tournament.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      i would assume a guy coming from LSU would understand how important the big sport on campus is for identity, etc.
      I'm excited that we're getting a new president from a Big 5 Conference. LSU fans are as crazy as they come so I'm confident he'll embrace and promote the hockey program.

I loved Glenn but I always felt he was too provincial having been in Houghton since the 70s. I once asked him if any high-tech companies came to recruit at Tech and he said, "Yes, Ford and Boeing." Really? What about Google, Apple, Intel, Facebook, Oracle, Microsoft?

The stacked MTU was the most recognizable logo Tech has ever had but Glenn detested abbreviating Technological to Tech. He thought it sounded like a trade school. Really? Ever heard of MIT, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Cal Tech, Texas Tech?

So I'm comfortable with the choice. I only hope he doesn't freeze to death in the winter. The King is Dead, long live the King...
      "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
      Abe Lincoln

Comment

Joe Shawhan (half) Hour is on now on Mix93 WKMJ and pasty.net

Comment

Joe says that the Saturday game at Bemidji is likely to be an outdoor game, per a conversation with Tom Serratore.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
            Joe says that the Saturday game at Bemidji is likely to be an outdoor game, per a conversation with Tom Serratore.
            I would assume that would be part of Hockey Day Minnesota which Bemidji is hosting. FoxSportsNorth typically covers all the high school games that are played that day. It will be interesting to see if they stick around for the college game or if they break away due to the Goofers or Wild playing.....

Of course, other cities have hosted Hockey Day Minnesota and had the rink in use for the whole week so as many teams as possible could use the outdoor rink as possible. So I suppose it is possible that the Beavers and Huskies could play the Saturday before or the Saturday after.
            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

They could've done a full hour and had enough to talk about.

Goalies and the outdoor game were my takeaways.

Sounds like Beydoun, Kero and Jurusik next year. Interesting background from Joe, trying to cover possibly losing Packy (intention to sign pro) and Kero (graduation) and then both want to come back with an already committed player.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                Really?

I'm starting to think Munson doesn't know what he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Really?

I'm starting to think Munson doesn't know what he wants.
                  yes, it would be part of Bemidji hosting Hockey Day Minnesota in January or February 2019.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

yes, it would be part of Bemidji hosting Hockey Day Minnesota in January or February 2019.
                    While ideally, BSU and Tech would play on Hockey Day Minnesota, the actual date is going to depend on which weekend the Wild are home. That won't be known until the July 1 announcement of Hockey Day Minnesota. I know a lot of the communities that have hosted HDM have left the rink up for a week to maximize the number of teams that get to play on outdoor ice. So, in theory, HDM could be January 12th, 19th (rumored Tech/BSU game, we will know more on Wednesday), or 26th depending on the Wild Home Schedule. But BSU and Tech will be playing outside on one of those Saturdays, which could be HDM or could be a week before or a week after.
                    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                      While ideally, BSU and Tech would play on Hockey Day Minnesota, the actual date is going to depend on which weekend the Wild are home. That won't be known until the July 1 announcement of Hockey Day Minnesota. I know a lot of the communities that have hosted HDM have left the rink up for a week to maximize the number of teams that get to play on outdoor ice. So, in theory, HDM could be January 12th, 19th (rumored Tech/BSU game, we will know more on Wednesday), or 26th depending on the Wild Home Schedule. But BSU and Tech will be playing outside on one of those Saturdays, which could be HDM or could be a week before or a week after.
                      Sure thats possible, but there is a big difference between not officially knowing until the NHL releases its schedule and "knowing." HDM has never been earlier before January 17th, 9 out of 12 years it has fallen between January 17th and 22nd. and the other 3 were 2nd weekend in February...MTU is not playing at BSU the 2nd weekend of February...who knows but it seems likely that HDM will be January 19th.

Comment

Hopefully, since I booked 3 hotel rooms for Jan 19th a week ago.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Debating between Clarkson and Wisco (cannot do both). MSN is easier to get to, and has mainline DL service, whereas Clarkson requires at least some driving, whether I use my NEXUS card to cut through Ontario, or fly to SYR on an RJ and do a Hertz rental (2.5 hour drive from there, it seems).

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Debating between Clarkson and Wisco (cannot do both). MSN is easier to get to, and has mainline DL service, whereas Clarkson requires at least some driving, whether I use my NEXUS card to cut through Ontario, or fly to SYR on an RJ and do a Hertz rental (2.5 hour drive from there, it seems).
                            If I was doing Clarkson, I would fly in to Burlington or somewhere over there a day early and drive through Lake Placid.

Comment

If I was doing Clarkson, I would fly in to Burlington or somewhere over there a day early and drive through Lake Placid.
                              Had not thought of that.

Albany would also potentially make sense in that scenario.
                              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 05-07-2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

That's anyone seen today's JSH posted anywhere?

Comment

Working...
                                X