Minnesota State Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
    For being a referee? Doubt it. It'd be unique, though.
    Happy for Jake though — he was a fantastic guy, and has worked hard to get to, and sustain a career in the NHL as an official, that’s quite an accomplishment.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Re: Minnesota State Offseason Thread

Well, Tim Jackman graduated from MSU over the weekend. So, I guess he can't be an undergraduate assistant coach any longer. I wonder what's next for him?
      My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Well, Tim Jackman graduated from MSU over the weekend. So, I guess he can't be an undergraduate assistant coach any longer. I wonder what's next for him?
        Cool story, with he and Grant Stevenson graduating together.

He can be a volunteer coach still, but haven’t heard what his plan is there.

Will be interesting to see — at some point Todd Knott is going to get a head coaching gig, and there will be an assistant role to fill..
        AF 99

Comment

Also, schedule and dates come out officially today.
          AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
            Cool story, with he and Grant Stevenson graduating together.

He can be a volunteer coach still, but haven’t heard what his plan is there.

Will be interesting to see — at some point Todd Knott is going to get a head coaching gig, and there will be an assistant role to fill..
            You mean Ryan Carter, right?
            Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Also, schedule and dates come out officially today.
              December 28 and 29 - A winter trip to the desert!

(I assume that's without Coach Hastings?)

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                December 28 and 29 - A winter trip to the desert!

(I assume that's without Coach Hastings?)
                That’s correct, Mike will be at the WJC.

I’d imagine Todd Knott will serve as the head coach in Mike’s absence. Will be interesting — if Jackman is on the coaching staff still, possibility he’s behind the bench in some capacity then?
                AF 99

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
                  You mean Ryan Carter, right?
                  Correct. I apologize, its been a long week.
                  AF 99

Comment

That’s correct, Mike will be at the WJC.

I’d imagine Todd Knott will serve as the head coach in Mike’s absence. Will be interesting — if Jackman is on the coaching staff still, possibility he’s behind the bench in some capacity then?
                    Unless I misunderstand his status, since he's graduated, he no longer qualifies as a student assistant. Unless he goes to grad school and qualifies as a grad assistant, I think he'd need to be hired as a regular assistant coach to continue. I suppose he could just be a volunteer assistant, but since he can't get any pay for that, I'd think he'd want to move on with his life now.
                    Last edited by MavsFan; 05-10-2018, 12:49 AM.
                    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Unless I misunderstand his status, since he's graduated, he no longer qualifies as a student assistant. Unless he goes to grad school and qualifies as a grad assistant, I think he'd need to be hired as a regular assistant coach to continue. I suppose he could just be a volunteer assistant, but since he can't get any pay for that, I'd think he'd want to move on with his life now.
                      I’m not talking undergrad assistant, he could be a grad assistant, yes, but there are volunteer coaches many times. For example, the Mavs goalie coach, Brennan Poderzay, is a volunteer coach.

Tim’s family is rooted in Mankato again, he owns a home here now, while I don’t know how he’ll want to spend his time or how he will, I’d imagine Hastings and co. would welcome him back — I heard Jackman was a much liked addition to the staff.

Additionally, he played 11 years in the NHL, hopefully he’s got a decent financial advisor, and he should have some flexibility if he wants it.
                      AF 99

Comment

Additionally, he played 11 years in the NHL, hopefully he’s got a decent financial advisor, and he should have some flexibility if he wants it.
                        That's certainly a good point. He should never need money for the rest of his life. But if he really wants to go into coaching, some school somewhere would certainly hire him I'd think.

Comment

That's certainly a good point. He should never need money for the rest of his life. But if he really wants to go into coaching, some school somewhere would certainly hire him I'd think.
                          You’d think so, anyways.

As I’ve mentioned before, i firmly believe Todd Knott is on the verge of a head coaching position, so Tim may be content waiting as a volunteer coach to try and apply for a full time assistant job when available.

A big key too will be if Tim wants to recruit — as a volunteer I’d imagine any recruiting is primarily done on campus. I know Todd Knott is frequently on the road, as is Darren Blue, and both are a wealth of knowledge in the hockey prospect and coaching world.
                          AF 99

Comment

A big key too will be if Tim wants to recruit — as a volunteer I’d imagine any recruiting is primarily done on campus.
                            Volunteer coaches are prohibited from off-campus recruting.

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                              I’m not talking undergrad assistant, he could be a grad assistant, yes, but there are volunteer coaches many times. For example, the Mavs goalie coach, Brennan Poderzay, is a volunteer coach.

Tim’s family is rooted in Mankato again, he owns a home here now, while I don’t know how he’ll want to spend his time or how he will, I’d imagine Hastings and co. would welcome him back — I heard Jackman was a much liked addition to the staff.

A team is only allowed one Volunteer Assistant.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Interesting rumors about Bowling Green wanting out of the WCHA..
                                AF 99

Comment

Working...
                                X