Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    He said something to that effect, and talked a lot about how much respect this programhas and dessrves. He also said it was the only job that could take him away from SCSU.

Respect your opinion, but couldn't disagree with you more.
    Well, there is a difference between saying "flagship program" which means THE COLLEGIATE HOCKEY PROGRAM in MN and just saying he respects the program. Without hesitation, most people who understand the history of the hockey tradition at the UMN would readily acknowledge their respect for it. My personal opinion is he probably has more of an embedded personal affinity for his alma mater SCSU, than for the University of Minnesota.

I'm an alumnus of the University of Minnesota. The "alumnus factor" has been under discussion in this coaching search. Being an alumnus can be a source of extraordinary loyalty, commitment and passion that simply can't be taught. I didn't hear that type of passion in the content and delivery of his press conference.
    Last edited by SteveO; 03-30-2018, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
      Is that a surprise? He left his Alma mater. Why else would he do it other than money and prestige?
      I was hoping for something more. But that essentially is my point. There is an added value when a coach is an alumnus of the school he or she is coaching at. That is not to say that a coach who is not cannot perform very well. There are many examples.

Money and prestige can emotionally flame out, whereas the flame of true loyalty to your alma mater is difficult to extinguish.
      Last edited by SteveO; 03-30-2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
        Well, there is a difference between saying "flagship program" which means THE COLLEGIATE HOCKEY PROGRAM in MN and just saying he respects the program. Without hesitation, most people who understand the history of the hockey tradition at the UMN would readily acknowledge their respect for it. My personal opinion is he probably has more of an embedded personal affinity for his alma mater SCSU, than for the University of Minnesota.

I'm an alumnus of the University of Minnesota. The "alumnus factor" has been under discussion in this coaching search. Being an alumnus can be a source of extraordinary loyalty, commitment and passion that simply can't be taught. I didn't hear that type of passion in the content and delivery of his press conference.
        My impression was that he was saying Minnesota is THE program in the state and among a handful of the elite within the country.

I understand what you are saying. I don't agree with you.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

I was hoping for something more. But that essentially is my point. There is an added value when a coach is an alumnus of the school he or she is coaching at. That is not to say that a coach who is not cannot perform very well. There are many examples.

Money and prestige can emotionally flame out, whereas the flame of true loyalty to your alma mater is difficult to extinguish.
          Almost no coaches end up coaching their alma mater so the passion comes from somewhere.
          The passion he showed made this Husky fan ill so IMO you are seeing what you want here.
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

It's roughly about 10%, unless a search committee designates it as a selection criteria, which was always under discussion in this case. My coaching preference would have been an alumnus for reasons I've mentioned.

Comment

It's roughly about 10%, unless a search committee designates it as a selection criteria, which was always under discussion in this case. My coaching preference would have been an alumnus for reasons I've mentioned.
              I can respect that opinion.
              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                When asked by reporters why he took the job, his summary response was he always felt he had one more move in him, and "he wanted it". I don't intend this to be a harsh criticism, but unlike an alumnus, I didn't hear a personal passion to represent the University of Minnesota and the hockey tradition. I understand he's obviously aware of its history, but other than working as an asst. I didn't hear him articulate any personal affinity and connection to it. My overall impression was he took the job for the money and prestige of coaching the Gophers.
                Did you miss the part where he talked about getting cut from the team.....twice?! He has deep ties to the University of Minnesota even if he didn't ultimately end up playing there.

Generally speaking, I think anyone would be honored. I'm curious, did he actually say "flagship program"? I could be wrong, but I don't think he did. What specifically did he say that indicated to you that he has a "passion" for the "flagship program"?
                I know some Gopher fans embrace tArrogance, but my goodness dude. Who the H cares if he called Minnesota the 'flagship program' or that he has 'passion' for said program? I highly doubt he would take the job if he didn't feel at least kind of passionate about it. And we wonder why other team's fans think Gopher fans are entitled/arrogant........

EDIT: FTR, Minnesota isn't really the 'flagship program' of the state right now. IMO, Bob needs to get them back to that relevance, nationally and within the state.
                Last edited by gopher wes; 03-30-2018, 10:05 AM.
                "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Is that a surprise? He left his Alma mater. Why else would he do it other than money and prestige?
                  IMO, if he didn't coach during Minnesota's two national championship teams he likely wouldn't have had a taste of Gopher hockey at it's pinnacle thus staying at St. Cloud State.
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                    Did you miss the part where he talked about getting cut from the team.....twice?! He has deep ties to the University of Minnesota even if he didn't ultimately end up playing there.

I know some Gopher fans embrace tArrogance, but my goodness dude. Who the H cares if he called Minnesota the 'flagship program' or that he has 'passion' for said program? I highly doubt he would take the job if he didn't feel at least kind of passionate about it. And we wonder why other team's fans think Gopher fans are entitled/arrogant........

EDIT: FTR, Minnesota isn't really the 'flagship program' of the state right now. IMO, Bob needs to get them back to that relevance, nationally and within the state.
                    No I didn't miss it but it's irrelevant to the discussion. I don't consider trying out and getting cut, as deep ties. As far as the phrase "flagship program" is concerned, you missed my point and you contradicted yourself at the same time.

Lastly, there's no arrogance intended here, so please do not make those kinds of accusations unless you know for sure. It's an opinion, a preference and a selection criteria that demonstrates a more significant effect of the constructs "loyalty and passion". That's indisputable.

Comment

I started attending Gopher hockey games when I was 5 and for several years into my mid-teens attended more than a handful every season. All through the years they were my #1 program regardless of sport or level including the North Stars, Vikings and Twins. I went to school there for 2 years and then transferred to Mankato which is where I graduated. However, I never gained a passion for MSU hockey and although I root for them from afar they'll never come close to gaining my attention like Minnesota does.

I know it's not a completely apples to apples comparison, but he did attend Minnesota for two years and only left because he was cut. He also coached there for several years. Even if he had fewer ties to UM than that his list of accomplishments make him a valid candidate and I but I couldn't give 2 sh**s if he thinks UM is the flagship program or not. If he's up to the challenge and will carry a passion for the position as much as he did in St. Cloud that is all that matters.

I said months ago he wasn't my #1 choice but for now I've not seen a single reason to believe he's not in it for the right reasons and to suggest otherwise imho is not the result of an open and honest assessment of what he's said and done so far.
                      Last edited by Slap Shot; 03-30-2018, 10:48 AM.

Comment

I don't care if Motzko's replacement is an SCSU alum. I am really only concerned with the resume. Mike Hastings is a potential target because he is an alum. But to me that is a draw to maybe persuade the coach to leave. Not to get the fans to buy in. The track record should be enough. If Jim Montgomery or Jeff Jackson for some reason wanted the St. Cloud job, I wouldnt give a rip that they weren't alumni. I would just be happy as hell that we got them.

If you aren't happy about Motzko, maybe it isn't because he isn't an alum, but because subconsciously you aren't that impressed with the resume
                        Originally posted by SJHovey
                        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                        Originally posted by Brenthoven
                        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I don't care if Motzko's replacement is an SCSU alum. I am really only concerned with the resume. Mike Hastings is a potential target because he is an alum. But to me that is a draw to maybe persuade the coach to leave. Not to get the fans to buy in. The track record should be enough. If Jim Montgomery or Jeff Jackson for some reason wanted the St. Cloud job, I wouldnt give a rip that they weren't alumni. I would just be happy as hell that we got them.

If you aren't happy about Motzko, maybe it isn't because he isn't an alum, but because subconsciously you aren't that impressed with the resume
                          Do you care if SCSU's new coach brings up their passion for the position during the introductory press conference?

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                            Do you care if SCSU's new coach brings up their passion for the position during the introductory press conference?
                            Absolutely not.
                            Originally posted by SJHovey
                            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                            Originally posted by Brenthoven
                            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

No I didn't miss it but it's irrelevant to the discussion. I don't consider trying out and getting cut, as deep ties. As far as the phrase "flagship program" is concerned, you missed my point and you contradicted yourself at the same time.

Lastly, there's no arrogance intended here, so please do not make those kinds of accusations unless you know for sure. It's an opinion, a preference and a selection criteria that demonstrates a more significant effect of the constructs "loyalty and passion". That's indisputable.
                              Not sure how I contradicted myself, but ok.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Absolutely not.
                                What about bringing up the position of SCSU's program within the state of Minnesota?

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X