Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2018-2019

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    I've been making this observation for three years now. Wisconsin is really not a very good offensive team. It doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the players. They have plenty who would be big scorers on other teams. It's the system. Wisconsin just doesn't take any risks in the offensive zone, and while this is great for holding on to the puck and preventing odd man chances going the other way, it means that goals are going to be hard to come by against good teams. I'm not even saying that it's a negative that they do this, though there have certainly been times it leads them to struggle, but it does mean that you shouldn't expect to see them put up a lot of goals, and it means that they have little margin for error on a night when the bounces go the other way.
    I think its how the team is built. Wisconsin is very good at the transition game, turnovers and run-n-gun. They are not particularly good at a down low cycle game. They spent at least 3/4 of each game in OSU's end this weekend and its not their strength. Weaker teams will collapse on the Badgers and hope for a couple of turnovers and lucky bounces. Thats what happened. Playing a hot goalie compounds the issue.

Fun Fact: Freshman G Braendli is older than reshirt Junior Campbell. The womens game is going the way of the mens game where players are coming in at 21+..

Comment

Originally posted by dd17 View Post
      I think its how the team is built. Wisconsin is very good at the transition game, turnovers and run-n-gun. They are not particularly good at a down low cycle game. They spent at least 3/4 of each game in OSU's end this weekend and its not their strength. Weaker teams will collapse on the Badgers and hope for a couple of turnovers and lucky bounces. Thats what happened. Playing a hot goalie compounds the issue.

Fun Fact: Freshman G Braendli is older than reshirt Junior Campbell. The womens game is going the way of the mens game where players are coming in at 21+..
      Bottom line...Wisconsin's depth is their strength. They go away from that in every tight game, then they have forwards that aren't used to playing the minutes so they are tired...playing at about 60%. This is similar to what u see at UMD.

Surprised nobody has discussed the impact the return of the Olympic girls has had on their teams. Gophs, Badgers, & BC...
      Last edited by Tool Shed; 02-25-2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post
        Bottom line...Wisconsin's depth is their strength. They go away from that in every tight game, then they have forwards that aren't used to playing the minutes so they are tired...playing at about 60%. This is similar to what u see at UMD.
        The only player (non-goalie, dressed for the game) I do not remember seeing on the ice during the third period on Saturday is Delaney Drake. And with Cogan being out, "4th liners" like Pettet, Schneider and Rowe saw *more* time that one might have expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post

Surprised nobody has discussed the impact the return of the Olympic girls has had on their teams. Gophs, Badgers, & BC...
          I was surprised how short the bench got on Saturday, on Friday I really didn't pay attention to it. It does defeat their own strength to a certain extent, but it's hard to argue against because the big guns tied the game late Saturday.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I bought my tickets so we are all set. I am fascinated to see how full the place is for a 4PM game, I'm guessing 33% full. We'll probably get a view into what a BC home game feels like, though 33% full dwarfs BC's home attendance.

I decided to do the women's/men's double and grabbed 2 tickets for the UM tilt.

I hope MJ has a weekly presser and he'll tell us Cogan's availability.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              I bought my tickets so we are all set. I am fascinated to see how full the place is for a 4PM game, I'm guessing 33% full. We'll probably get a view into what a BC home game feels like, though 33% full dwarfs BC's home attendance.

I decided to do the women's/men's double and grabbed 2 tickets for the UM tilt.

I hope MJ has a weekly presser and he'll tell us Cogan's availability.
              I will be there with my better half for both games. Hopefully there will not be a third.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                I'm guessing 33% full. We'll probably get a view into what a BC home game feels like, though 33% full dwarfs BC's home attendance.
                If you want to see what a BC home game feels like you would probably need to go to the 4pm game and watch the warmups beforehand.

Sigh
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                  If you want to see what a BC home game feels like you would probably need to go to the 4pm game and watch the warmups beforehand.

Sigh
                  I was trying to be nice.

Comment

It's a great day for playoff hockey!

It will just be so interesting to see how the games go this weekend and watch the body language of the players as they deal with failing to secure the regular season crown.

Comment

It's a great day for playoff hockey!

It will just be so interesting to see how the games go this weekend and watch the body language of the players as they deal with failing to secure the regular season crown.
                      Well, that was a hell of a lot better than last week. They played with a lot of energy throughout the whole game and I absolutely love the line of Roque, Curl and Shirley. They were buzzing every time they stepped on the ice. If Mark keeps them together next year, they could be one of the top lines in the country next year, if not the top. I remember a quote you mentioned a few days ago about the sophomore class just being role players and on the most part I very much agree, but I thought Caitlin Schneider had a very good game. She didn't score but she put quite a few shots on net and was very active. I think she may step up next year to be at least a 6-10 goal scorer next year if she continues to work on her game. She does seem to have a lot of speed and is very smooth skater. As for the rest of the sophomore forward, I have no idea what to say, was just a bad recruiting year, or did a lot of top players turn Wisconsin down at the last minute leaving the coaches to scramble to fill a class. I honesty don't recall, I also didn't get the Posick offer at the time and still don't except for maybe who her dad is. I hope very much that I works out for her and she becomes a key member of the team in the years to come. I also think Nicole Lamantia, in my personal opinion, I think she will be an All-American before she leaves, just a very good defenseman and almost always in the right position.

Hope they close this series out tomorrow with another game like today's.

Comment

No Cogan, and no Mekenzie Steffen (!) today.

Cogan we knew about; no idea what's up with Steffen.

During the men's game tonight, they showed some of the women's team sitting together watching the game, and Cogan was among them. She didn't have either arm in any sort of sling, etc, No cast or anything on her left arm/wrist, but I couldn't see her right arm to tell one way or another (and if I am remembering what I saw last week, it was her right arm she was holding 'funny' when she left the ice).

We'll see what tomorrow brings...

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Point View Post
                          Well, that was a hell of a lot better than last week. They played with a lot of energy throughout the whole game and I absolutely love the line of Roque, Curl and Shirley. They were buzzing every time they stepped on the ice. If Mark keeps them together next year, they could be one of the top lines in the country next year, if not the top. I remember a quote you mentioned a few days ago about the sophomore class just being role players and on the most part I very much agree, but I thought Caitlin Schneider had a very good game. She didn't score but she put quite a few shots on net and was very active. I think she may step up next year to be at least a 6-10 goal scorer next year if she continues to work on her game. She does seem to have a lot of speed and is very smooth skater. As for the rest of the sophomore forward, I have no idea what to say, was just a bad recruiting year, or did a lot of top players turn Wisconsin down at the last minute leaving the coaches to scramble to fill a class. I honesty don't recall, I also didn't get the Posick offer at the time and still don't except for maybe who her dad is. I hope very much that I works out for her and she becomes a key member of the team in the years to come. I also think Nicole Lamantia, in my personal opinion, I think she will be an All-American before she leaves, just a very good defenseman and almost always in the right position.

Hope they close this series out tomorrow with another game like today's.
                          I think with this So class, MJ offers really young, like mostly Fr in HS, and sometimes players just don't develop like you project. He never adds players late in the process, like the Sr year in HS. He's got the roster locked down for the next 4 years. Have you seen the recruiting spreadsheet? Occasionally he'll poach someone like Gardiner or Blesi.

I don't think the effort was any better yesterday than last week, (they played great last week with great pace), the opponent overall was just weaker.

Lamantia has been fantastic. The biggest compliment for a D is not being noticed and you don't notice her out there. She has fit right in. Bowlby had a great offensive game yesterday. Her and Buchbinder as SO under-rated. It's just amazing how awesome UW's D play every single game. The Fr just automatically fit right in.

Schneider fit right in as far as speed goes, so does Pettet and Drake. They will see plenty of ice the next 2 years. Posick seems a bit slow at this point in her career. Hopefully she can work on that. I was surprised MJ didn't play the 4th line much yesterday.

Cogan was not on the bench during warm-ups, but Steffen was she had no obvious medical conditions.

Comment

I think with this So class, MJ offers really young, like mostly Fr in HS, and sometimes players just don't develop like you project. He never adds players late in the process, like the Sr year in HS. He's got the roster locked down for the next 4 years. Have you seen the recruiting spreadsheet? Occasionally he'll poach someone like Gardiner or Blesi.

I don't think the effort was any better yesterday than last week, (they played great last week with great pace), the opponent overall was just weaker.

Lamantia has been fantastic. The biggest compliment for a D is not being noticed and you don't notice her out there. She has fit right in. Bowlby had a great offensive game yesterday. Her and Buchbinder as SO under-rated. It's just amazing how awesome UW's D play every single game. The Fr just automatically fit right in.

Schneider fit right in as far as speed goes, so does Pettet and Drake. They will see plenty of ice the next 2 years. Posick seems a bit slow at this point in her career. Hopefully she can work on that. I was surprised MJ didn't play the 4th line much yesterday.

Cogan was not on the bench during warm-ups, but Steffen was she had no obvious medical conditions.
                            Not sure what spread sheet you are talking about? The only recruiting site I know of is the HockeyTech College Commitment site. When I said better than last week, I really meant result wise, I didn't explain myself really well on that, I apologize!

I know all the colleges are offering kids that are a lot younger these day's. I guess they want to get the jump on everybody else, I guess it's **** if you do and **** it you don't. You also have mentioned that Grace Shirley the sister of Sophie is coming in next year but I haven't seen any indication of this. I sure hope you are right. Everything I see about her in Canada is outstanding!

Comment

Not sure what spread sheet you are talking about? The only recruiting site I know of is the HockeyTech College Commitment site. When I said better than last week, I really meant result wise, I didn't explain myself really well on that, I apologize!

I know all the colleges are offering kids that are a lot younger these day's. I guess they want to get the jump on everybody else, I guess it's **** if you do and **** it you don't. You also have mentioned that Grace Shirley the sister of Sophie is coming in next year but I haven't seen any indication of this. I sure hope you are right. Everything I see about her in Canada is outstanding!
                              I have not seen anything official from UW on Grace Shirley, but this article from January says she will be here.
                              https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...hips-1.4976651

Comment

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=645067474

Grace isn't on the sheet, but she said it herself, so it has to be true, eh?

As you can see, there are not many openings out 4 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X