Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2018-2019

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    UW was the better team Friday, but not by all that much. Saturday, the first two Minn goals were pretty flukey/unlucky for UW. The first was a shot (or maybe even a pass) that deflected off a UW skater, redirected past Campbell; she had no chance. The second was a good shot that hit Campbell in the mask, went straight up into the air, came down, bounce off her back and went into the goal. So it 'beat her' but it took an unlucky bounce to find its way into the net.

I'll say this though: once UW got behind, they looked a little panicy trying to even things up. (Or maybe I was panicky, and I'm projecting!)

They got a split; a sweep would have been great, but the split was what they needed to do for WCHA standings, etc. Wisconsin is #1, and Minnesota is #1A. Likely destined to meet at least one more time, maybe two more.
    Thanks Robert for the insight. Good to read Soup wasn't as sievy has the numbers show. I do agree that when they get behind in the big games they don't trust the system and they go off script and play too individually. I guess the pressure gets to them a bit, and that's understandable to a certain extent.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      UW was the better team Friday, but not by all that much. Saturday, the first two Minn goals were pretty flukey/unlucky for UW. The first was a shot (or maybe even a pass) that deflected off a UW skater, redirected past Campbell; she had no chance. The second was a good shot that hit Campbell in the mask, went straight up into the air, came down, bounce off her back and went into the goal. So it 'beat her' but it took an unlucky bounce to find its way into the net.

I'll say this though: once UW got behind, they looked a little panicy trying to even things up. (Or maybe I was panicky, and I'm projecting!)

They got a split; a sweep would have been great, but the split was what they needed to do for WCHA standings, etc. Wisconsin is #1, and Minnesota is #1A. Likely destined to meet at least one more time, maybe two more.
      I would disagree with your take on Friday...I thought it was controlled by Wisconsin for all but about 10 minutes in the 2nd period. The Back/Fore Check was very impressive by the Badgers! Saturday the Badgers came out a little flat & never played at the pace of Friday Night. The Badgers had the Gophers on the ropes late in second on Saturday when I felt they were tired...then 4 minutes of penalties by the Badgers negated that.

Good split by the Badgers but they will need to find a way to score more goals! Scobee played good but when you hit her in the belly 70% of the time its an easy game....I guess they need more goals of the mask & legs of the opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Thanks Robert for the insight. Good to read Soup wasn't as sievy has the numbers show. I do agree that when they get behind in the big games they don't trust the system and they go off script and play too individually. I guess the pressure gets to them a bit, and that's understandable to a certain extent.
        Friday & Saturday games were somewhat mirror images of each other, both teams know that scoring a goal isn't going to be easy, and if you fall behind there is a certain amount of panic that will set in as the clock ticks that makes them deviate from their game plan.

Saturday the Gophers should have known after scoring the second goal that the Badgers would come back hard, it was pretty much do or die at that point. I felt there was a little bit of a letdown after the 2nd goal combined with Wi amping it up, no surprise they quickly scored but MN quickly regrouped and shut the door.

Comment

OSU pooping their pants sure did help UM and UW in the race for #1.
          As far as the WCHA & NCAA tournament goes, being #1 probably isn't important.
          For the former it will likely require beating OSU or UMD, then #1 & #2 tangling.
          Assuming they stay #1 & #2 that sets them up in opposite brackets of the NCAA.
          It's probably not a difference between playing #3 or #4 in either case.
          So the importance of finishing #1 WCHA is you get the title of champ, beyond that, not much.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
            As far as the WCHA & NCAA tournament goes, being #1 probably isn't important.
            For the former it will likely require beating OSU or UMD, then #1 & #2 tangling.
            Assuming they stay #1 & #2 that sets them up in opposite brackets of the NCAA.
            It's probably not a difference between playing #3 or #4 in either case.
            So the importance of finishing #1 WCHA is you get the title of champ, beyond that, not much.
            First in the Pairwise gets you a much easier first round NCAA game (this year, at least).

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
              Right, it gets you a trophy. The main goal of the regular season make it into the ncaa's; the next goal is get home ice for the 1st round of the ncaa's.

Comment

I love this.

As seriously as we all take this stuff, Instagram this morning 'suggested' to me a photo posted by UW's Britta Curl of her missing an open half-net against Sydney Scobee from earlier this season. And in the comments, Curl and Mekenzie Steffen and Scobee and others go back and forth good-naturedly jabbing each other while at the same time self deprecating themselves.

Kids, having fun, playing a game.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsyJs9VhtC9/

(Cross posted to the UM thread.)
                Last edited by robertearle; 01-23-2019, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post
                  .Good split by the Badgers but they will need to find a way to score more goals! Scobee played good but when you hit her in the belly 70% of the time its an easy game....I guess they need more goals of the mask & legs of the opposition.
                  With this roster scoring shouldn't be a problem, but not seeing the games I don't know how clean of a look the shooters were getting at the gut shots.

I think they need to do something to get Clark going, but how they do that I am not sure. You can't touch Roque/Shirley/Curl, it's their most consistent scoring line. They tried different players with Pankowski & Clark, but nothing took off. Maybe flip Curl and Clark?

Comment

With this roster scoring shouldn't be a problem, but not seeing the games I don't know how clean of a look the shooters were getting at the gut shots.

I think they need to do something to get Clark going, but how they do that I am not sure. You can't touch Roque/Shirley/Curl, it's their most consistent scoring line. They tried different players with Pankowski & Clark, but nothing took off. Maybe flip Curl and Clark?
                    Swap Shaver with Clark & get Pankowski to move the puck a little more....BOOM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post
                      Swap Shaver with Clark & get Pankowski to move the puck a little more....BOOM!
                      Agreed!

Comment

• Quick question, if someone knows...
                        Why does WI only play one goalie? Do the others really suck? I can't imagine they have three bad alternatives. No offense to any goalie parents out there...

Comment

Originally posted by WorkerBee View Post
                          Quick question, if someone knows...
                          Why does WI only play one goalie? Do the others really suck? I can't imagine they have three bad alternatives. No offense to any goalie parents out there...
                          Good question. Playoffs come and they gamble that the goalie doesn't get hurt. None of the backups have played enough to just "drop them in" to a final four game.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

Are there multiple workerbees or is this a thinner thing?...
                            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Blesi played one period against Lindenwood - zero goals, four saves - and two periods against Syracuse - one goal, six saves.

MJ seems to like playing one goalie, if they're good. The only way freshman Ann-Renee Desbiens got ice time was when Rigsby got hurt, eg.

I have no idea how good or bad Blesi or Cece might be. But I trust Johnson and Mark Greenhalgh do.

Comment

Yep, like Robert said, MJ just plays one and that it. It would make sense to have Blesi (assuming she's #2) into more games, but MJ doesn't roll that way. When ARD was out 4 games her So year (I think), Cece played very well, went 3-1 and I think all were on the road. Basically, if you are a goalie @ UW, there's no way you suck to begin with. UW is goalie U.

Welcome to the board.

Comment

Working...
                                X