Wisconsin Badgers 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    The key will be to get 2 lines that can score and a 3rd line that can hold up against anyone in transition and in the D zone and score a bit. I hate to break up Shirley Roque Curl, but I think it's imperative to have Watts ignite right from the start, so pairing her with Roque and SS (Sophie Shirley) will do that. Schneider showed a lot last year playing for Cogan and Pettet has looked good when spotted up the lineup to fill for injuries her first 2 years. Grace Shirley is supposed to be better than Sophie, I could even see her with Watts and Roque and keep Sophie with Curl to retain some chemistry.

Watts Roque SS
    Curl Schneider GS
    Norby Pettet Mauermann
    Greig Drake Hanzlick/Posick/DeVito

UW was actually good at faceoffs last year, which is usually not the case. I think with some experience they can develop those skills.
    Maybe just maybe Watts is not a first liner on your team at least not immediately. It will be important for her to get a feel for the competition in the WCHA which is likely a notch above what she is used to with the exception of a team or two.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2018-2019

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      Marquette at Wisconsin, men's BB, Sunday Nov 17th. May be a Friday afternoon women hockey...
      That would make me very very angry.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
        Maybe just maybe Watts is not a first liner on your team at least not immediately. It will be important for her to get a feel for the competition in the WCHA which is likely a notch above what she is used to with the exception of a team or two.
        I like this post, a wack at Hockey Easy Conference and a logical point as well. First 4 games are Lindenwood and PSU, then OSU & Princeton, 2 teams that are in the mix for the final 8. 6 of those are on the road, so a nice chance for the whole team to bond for sure (PSU @ Home). Who plays on what line in games 11 & 12 will tell us all a lot. Playing on the first is more of a defensive responsibility thing first and foremost, getting the opposing team's top line, but MJ does have the second line start based on matchups, so whether she's on the first of second line she's essentially a starter. It does suck not to get to see all the new players a lot in person early on, the second funnest part of the season is watching the new players and see their skills and how they compliment each other.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
          I am betting that she heard I was moving back to Wisconsin and that put the whole thing to rest.
          No brainer move for Watts for sure when she looked at this site and saw that a family was moving thousands of miles JUST to be able to watch women's hockey. Any player would want to play for fans like those.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            The key will be to get 2 lines that can score and a 3rd line that can hold up against anyone in transition and in the D zone and score a bit. I hate to break up Shirley Roque Curl, but I think it's imperative to have Watts ignite right from the start, so pairing her with Roque and SS (Sophie Shirley) will do that. Schneider showed a lot last year playing for Cogan and Pettet has looked good when spotted up the lineup to fill for injuries her first 2 years. Grace Shirley is supposed to be better than Sophie, I could even see her with Watts and Roque and keep Sophie with Curl to retain some chemistry.

Watts Roque SS
            Curl Schneider GS
            Norby Pettet Mauermann
            Greig Drake Hanzlick/Posick/DeVito

UW was actually good at faceoffs last year, which is usually not the case. I think with some experience they can develop those skills.
            Dara will not be on the fourth line, my guess is that she starts on the third but don't bet against her to be second line. I could see Mauermann dropping down to fourth nice scrappy player that adds a goal every once in awhile. We have a summer place in Canada and know a few people up there that follow women's hockey closely and has a daughter that played against Dara, and have nothing but glowing remarks not only about her game but as a person as well.
            Last edited by Connaught Point; 06-12-2019, 11:02 AM.

Comment

No brainer move for Watts for sure when she looked at this site and saw that a family was moving thousands of miles JUST to be able to watch women's hockey. Any player would want to play for fans like those.
              Tim, any idea why she wanted out of BC? They aren't bad.

https://tenor.com/view/brother-broth...yl-gif-3385041
              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

(Not sure how I feel about this. Not because of playing time - in team sports, there's always somebody coming to take your 'job' - but as I've implied before, I'm not crazy about the idea that this could be costing somebody their scholarship.)[/QUOTE]

I wonder if maybe one of the players that didn't see a lot of ice time may have told the coaching staff of her thoughts of dropping hockey (Posick,Hanzlik) and opened a spot for MJ to pursue Watts. I don't think they are transferring anywhere, since we haven't heard anything but if their intensions are to drop hockey than I don't think that may not have come out yet. Just putting this out there, since there don't seem to be any room left for a scholarship player.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Point View Post
                  I could see Mauermann dropping down to fourth nice scrappy player that adds a goal every once in awhile.
                  Seventh on the team in goals scored last year (with 9), part of a three-way tie for third the year before (with 11).
                  Last edited by robertearle; 06-12-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Seventh on the team in goals scored last year (with 9), part of a three-way tie for third the year before (with 11).
                    That's my point, nice scrappy player, good at defense and would add a scoring punch to the fourth line. I really think Dara Greig will add more scoring and create more chances for her line mates.

Comment

That's my point, nice scrappy player, good at defense and would add a scoring punch to the fourth line. I really think Dara Greig will add more scoring and create more chances for her line mates.
                      Has Greig played any center, and/or taken any significant number of faceoffs, etc? My point from the other day is UW has a dearth of experience at center this coming season, and may be the best way to find some ice time is to be the second line or third line center.

(And is Greig a left or right shot? There's a good balance right now, and 'Grieg vs Mauermann' might not even exist is they are opposite side players. As best I know, Mauermann, Curl, Watt, Schneider are left shots; Shirley, Shirley, Norby, Pettet are rights.)

Comment

Has Greig played any center, and/or taken any significant number of faceoffs, etc? My point from the other day is UW has a dearth of experience at center this coming season, and may be the best way to find some ice time is to be the second line or third line center.

(And is Greig a left or right shot? There's a good balance right now, and 'Grieg vs Mauermann' might not even exist is they are opposite side players. As best I know, Mauermann, Curl, Watt, Schneider are left shots; Shirley, Shirley, Norby, Pettet are rights.)
                        Grieg is a left shot, has played both sides of center but I don't know about playing center, all I can tell you is what my Canadian friends have told me and watching her once on a live stream playing against my friends daughter. If you want scoring, you will go with Dara once she is acclimated to college hockey and just to add Mr. Mauermann, this is just a thought that I had.
                        Last edited by Connaught Point; 06-12-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

more likely she saw the Simpson's episode on upstate NY and decided to go elsewhere, it's played twice in the last monthhttps://www.simpsonsworld.com/video/1529502787543

it looks like you are over St. Cloud losing one of their leading scorers to Clarkson
                          Last edited by pokechecker; 06-12-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Dara will not be on the fourth line, my guess is that she starts on the third but don't bet against her to be second line. I could see Mauermann dropping down to fourth nice scrappy player that adds a goal every once in awhile. We have a summer place in Canada and know a few people up there that follow women's hockey closely and has a daughter that played against Dara, and have nothing but glowing remarks not only about her game but as a person as well.
                            This is just the kind of insight we need to figure out where she fits in. Great info. Not knowing much about her game I simply stuffed her on the 4th line. MJ did start Curl out there last year, but then she quickly moved her way up. UW needs to replace a lot of points and if that means Greig plays up, awesome.

Mauermann is interesting because she is an absolute sniper that needs a creative player with her to set up that shot. I could see her on the first line, with Roque feeding her. I'd move Norby down before I'd move Mauermann down.

I think the biggest issue UW will have this year is finding C's as Robert pointed out. Perhaps SS can play C. She is sneaky creative and has the wheels.

Watts Roque Greig
                            Curl SS Mauermann
                            Norby Schneider GS
                            Pettet Drake Posick

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                              it looks like you are over St. Cloud losing one of their leading scorers to Clarkson
                              No, I still don't like the concept of free agency in women's college hockey. I feel bad for the BC fans losing 2 great players out of the blue and for St. Cloud getting gutted. The old beautiful thing about women's college hockey was the players were there 4 years and you can could count on that. Now all us fans have to live in fear someone will get a burr up their butt and know know how to work through it. I would have been LIVID had Pankowski or Clark bailed on UW. Grant is taking this far too well publicly.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                                Tim, any idea why she wanted out of BC? They aren't bad.
                                BC is a perennial top 4 team, that's a big mystery why you'd want to leave that. They also lost a top end player to Clarkson, so they have been decimated.

Comment

Working...
                                X