Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2018-2019

Originally posted by Netminder View Post
    I can't believe that they pulled Rooney for the 3rd period on Friday. Only one soft goal through the 5 hole that I think she wanted back ...
    Rooney has played heavy minutes this year, so I took it as giving her a little rest and some minutes for a backup in a game they were unlikely to win.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Looking at motivation....OSU is 4 pts up on BSU. BSU plays UM. OSU is a lock for 3rd place in the league but they are desperately battling to make the ncaa's. UW is in a major battle for first in the league and fighting it out for the #1 seed in the ncaa and the coveted chance to destroy the CHA champ, provided the ncaa goes that route. For UM and UW, "eastern" teams are going to travel west no matter what, so it OSU squeaks in, I have to think they will get sent to the lower seed of UM or UW and the CHA winner to the higher seed. A little far ahead thinking, but fun to ponder.
      I don't think Ohio State is a lock for 3rd in the WCHA. Current standings show:

3) Ohio State / 36 Points / @ Wisconsin
      4) Bemidji State / 32 Points / Minnesota
      5) Minnesota Duluth / 31 Points / @ Mankato

I too would be shocked if Bemidji scored 4 standings points against the Gophers, but I don't think that UMD sweeping Mankato is that big of a stretch (especially since the Bulldogs are now 2 games under the .500 record they have so consistently maintained all year). Mankato does have the motivation of possibly passing St. Cloud for 6th, but I don't think Ohio State wants to get swept by Wisconsin and leave their fate up to Mankato.

As for NCAA seedings, I agree that the top seed is pretty important this year to get to play the CHA champ. Barring a surprise entrant from a conference tournament, the 2 seed is going to be stuck with a 7 seed that could just as easily be the 4 seed. According to Grant, the 7 is currently Princeton, who the Badgers have shown they can beat at home, but I think they'd much rather have Robert Morris or Mercyhurst in a 1 game series.
      2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

Originally posted by ChickHicks86 View Post

I too would be shocked if Bemidji scored 4 standings points against the Gophers, but I don't think that UMD sweeping Mankato is that big of a stretch (especially since the Bulldogs are now 2 games under the .500 record they have so consistently maintained all year). Mankato does have the motivation of possibly passing St. Cloud for 6th, but I don't think Ohio State wants to get swept by Wisconsin and leave their fate up to Mankato.

As for NCAA seedings, I agree that the top seed is pretty important this year to get to play the CHA champ. Barring a surprise entrant from a conference tournament, the 2 seed is going to be stuck with a 7 seed that could just as easily be the 4 seed. According to Grant, the 7 is currently Princeton, who the Badgers have shown they can beat at home, but I think they'd much rather have Robert Morris or Mercyhurst in a 1 game series.
        Totally agree... the thing that really sucks about this time of year is the one game situation. In general, any one of the top 10 teams can beat another one for one game. The regular season stats only give you a general indication of qualification. The team that wants it the most is usually the one that gets it. Take for example the UMD men's hockey team last year. Only made it in the tourney by a fluke of upset games and ended up winning the whole thing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ChickHicks86 View Post

BSU isn't getting 4 pts out of the rodents. No way. The rodents want the title and the cha matchup as much as UW does. I did overlook UMD. I think they could sweep Kato, but Kato took the rodents to OT, so it's not a lock.

Those UW/Princeton games were tight, though early in the year, so both teams have evolved since then. I would not want to play them again if it can be avoided. Reminds me of when on the road UW swept Clarkson early in the year 3 years ago, but then the 3rd game didn't go so well. Sweeping all games over a high quality opponent is hard to do.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Sadly the last regularly scheduled home series us upon us. I lament it so much. That being said, it's still a great day for hockey!

Let's go RED!

Comment

Dear UW Hockey Players,

When you have a breakaway, please don't deek.

Thanks,

Badger Hockey Fans

Comment

That was just about as perfect a game as UW can play (other than scoring on every shot LOL). They had very active sticks that broke up a lot of OSU passing combos, they did not give much time and space, they allowed no breakaways, they created breakaways. That was the best game I have seen Soup play aside from the shootout (which wasn't bad by any means). Brändli played awesome with 2 big saves in regulation. Obviously the UW players are addicted to deeking on breakaways, and they are slow deeks at that, no speed at all (in the shootout, Pankowski's breakaway late in the 3rd had some speed). OSU had 2 snipes in the shootout, both beat Soup clean with 1 post.

The weather is awful with ice on the forecast, it's raining/sleeting right now, me getting to Madison today from an hour away may not happen.

Comment

You could check out the Wisconsin recruit from Warroard (Kotlowski) when Warroad takes on Breck for the single A championship at 4:00PM today.

You can stream it from https://www.prep45.com/
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                    You could check out the Wisconsin recruit from Warroard (Kotlowski) when Warroad takes on Breck for the single A championship at 4:00PM today.

You can stream it from https://www.prep45.com/
                    Thanks, I may just do that. Are there any other D1 players I should notice?

Comment

The weather is awful with ice on the forecast, it's raining/sleeting right now, me getting to Madison today from an hour away may not happen.
                      FWIW: right now, 9 AM, it is raining in Madison; (about three miles west of LaBahn), there is some soft 'slush' on my car, but not hard ice; the sidewalk/driveway have somewhat harder slush/ice on them, but traffic going by on Midvale Blvd (a main street) "treated surface" appears to be moving at more-or-less normal speeds.
                      Last edited by robertearle; 02-23-2019, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                        FWIW: right now, 9 AM, it is raining in Madison; (about three miles west of LaBahn), there is some soft 'slush' on my car, but not hard ice; the sidewalk/driveway have somewhat harder slush/ice on them, but traffic going by on Midvale Blvd (a main street) "treated surface" appears to be moving at more-or-less normal speeds.
                        Thanks Robert. Out here in central Dodge County we have thin crusted ice. The radar shows Madison is almost clear as of now, I should be good to go when we leave at 1.

Comment

Thanks Robert. Out here in central Dodge County we have thin crusted ice. The radar shows Madison is almost clear as of now, I should be good to go when we leave at 1.
                          As of about 10 AM, the rain has let up some, the soft slush on my car has melted, but the sidewalk/driveway has not; maybe softened a bit.

Comment

One last update before I head out to do some stuff before the game: Ice on the sidewalk and driveway has melted. So the temp must have gone up that critical degree or two. Should be OK in town, I hope the same out on the smaller Dodge County roads.

Let's go, Red!

Comment

Thanks, I may just do that. Are there any other D1 players I should notice?
                              yes, all those wonderful girls that are committed to the Gophers
                              LOL

I may be getting ahead of myself given there is one more game to play but it looks like WI gets the 1st round bye due to scoring 7 goals vs. 6 for MN in the four games they played this year
                              the tie breaker had to go several layers deep to determine this

Comment

Wisconsin crapped the bed and gave away the WCHA title...
                                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Working...
                                X