2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Looking back at this past season, it was a bit of surprise to see Kampersal put Chantal Burke in for almost 70 minutes of playing time as a freshman, including an entire third period (can't remember who she got playing time against). That seemed a bit odd, when senior Hannah Ehresmann and very solid sophomore goalie Daniela Paniccia usually split goalie time, with Paniccia primed to be the starter this season. Nobody in the stands knew Paniccia was dealing with concussions, though, but now that helps explain Burke's time in net last season (fellow freshman goalie Cam Leonard took a redshirt for her freshman season).

My curiosity is mostly whether Kampersal goes for a practice goalie, or does what he can to find a junior or senior somewhere who wants to transfer. I would think a third goalie is pretty much mandatory, as last season showed when Burke was needed. In the little time Burke was in a few games, I thought she looked good, and of course Kampersal has seen a lot more of her, so maybe he has her pegged for the starting job.
    It's a good thing you're not over-thinking this 3rd goalie situation. Lol

Comment

Re: 2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
      It's a good thing you're not over-thinking this 3rd goalie situation. Lol
      Hahahahaha - oh, I know, believe me. It's just the off-season doing a number on me, like it always does.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
        I wonder what got Loli Fidler to decommit to Harvard and come to Penn State instead. She was a very late addition to the list of incoming freshmen, but she sounds like another "all go" athlete like Rene Gangarosa, so I'm glad to see her coming here, and focusing all that energy into hockey now. I always like to see Minnesota players come to Penn State, but I do like Kampersal's recruiting reach, too.

Back to the goalie issue - I'm just going to assume Kampersal has to get a third goalie for next season, so my questions would be these: does he go after a freshman who knows she will be a practice goalie for four years, or does he do whatever coaches do to get an experienced transfer who has a year or two left (with the two current goalies being a sophomore and redshirt freshman)? Does he put the season on the shoulders of the current sophomore goalie, Chantal Burke?

Sometimes I believe that the decommits from the IVYs are due to the player not being able to get in to the school - not saying that is the case here as I have no idea but I have seen that before - or any other school for that matter, if they player is not able to get through admissions then they need to look elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
          When Kampresal was at Princeton, he definitely preferred multi sport players. Fidler also fits that blueprint as she has played hockey, soccer and lax and won Edina's female sportster of the year award.
          That's because he needed the help of another coach sometimes to get players into Princeton - one player filling two team sport positions is an easy admissions sell. That's not a relevant issue at Penn State.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeSkates View Post
            Sometimes I believe that the decommits from the IVYs are due to the player not being able to get in to the school - not saying that is the case here as I have no idea but I have seen that before - or any other school for that matter, if they player is not able to get through admissions then they need to look elsewhere.
            Classic Katey Stone - over-commit and then whinny the recruiting class down by using the "admissions" process to cut out the ones she doesn't want in the end - although it is occasionally true that the cut player actually fails to get in (see Kendall Coyne). Been happening for years.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
              Classic Katey Stone - over-commit and then whinny the recruiting class down by using the "admissions" process to cut out the ones she doesn't want in the end - although it is occasionally true that the cut player actually fails to get in (see Kendall Coyne). Been happening for years.
              I don't understand the "over-commit" issue for an Harvard or any Ivy. They don't have scholarships and so really don't have any limitations other than roster size. They are not up against the roster limit from what I can tell. I get that they may just not want a player and "cut" them but it seems like this player could help Harvard.

Comment

I agree - remember that the girls coming in to PSU the next 2 years were not his recruits....his first class of recruits will be the class coming in 2020.

Comment

Fidler is an elite women's hockey player for a 2018 graduate. I have no idea how she will do at Penn State but from a skills perspective I believe that she would be the top recruit at all but maybe 6-10 D1 programs in the country.

And no, she is not my daughter, nor does she play for my kids team or are there any other ties from me to her.

I do not believe that Coach Stone did anything wrong here. It would not be a good move if she pulled something here with Fidler. I have to believe that Fidler's HS coach (Harvard Class of 2014ish?) and summer coach (the most influential summer coach in MN if not the country) would not react well now and into the future if that was the case.

Comment

On Ivies: three things frequently happen: sticker shock ( no aid package until you are a senior), grades/test scores and overcomits. And this is just a generalazation.

Dobson is a nice addition. F idler and Gangarosa were recruited by Kampresal when he was at Princeton. Perhaps Dobson was too but can't find anything on line.

The 2020 class committed all as sophomores but Kampresal recruits frosh. Maybe Jackson gets the assist? Hopefully, he was interested in a couple of these girls when he was still at Princeton.

The 2021class will be really the girls he covets, he already has one verbally committed as yes a frosh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                      I don't understand the "over-commit" issue for an Harvard or any Ivy. They don't have scholarships and so really don't have any limitations other than roster size. They are not up against the roster limit from what I can tell. I get that they may just not want a player and "cut" them but it seems like this player could help Harvard.
                      All coaches (especially Ivy ones) have limitations on the number of players they can help through the admission process (lift from a no/maybe to a yes). All Ivy coaches know that game and how many spots they are allocated via the Academic Index system. Some of them make more verbal commitments than they have allocated slots knowing that some may drop out because: cost/aid results, academics, change of mind. At the end, if they have too many, they just don't support them in the admission process and they get dropped "for academic reasons". It's a game that some of the Ivies play - not a very ethical one but a game nonetheless. Stone is notorious. The old Dartmouth coach was another one. Kampersal did not play the game so much at Princeton - you could rely on his commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by used2lurk View Post
                        I do not believe that Coach Stone did anything wrong here. It would not be a good move if she pulled something here with Fidler. I have to believe that Fidler's HS coach (Harvard Class of 2014ish?) and summer coach (the most influential summer coach in MN if not the country) would not react well now and into the future if that was the case.
                        Coach Stone has done this for years and she still attracts good recruits. Kids want to go to Harvard because it's Harvard - good hockey, outstanding/life-altering education. Few recruits think they'll be the one blown off at the end of the line a couple/3 years later and many are ignorant of or ignore the history.

Comment

All coaches (especially Ivy ones) have limitations on the number of players they can help through the admission process (lift from a no/maybe to a yes). All Ivy coaches know that game and how many spots they are allocated via the Academic Index system. Some of them make more verbal commitments than they have allocated slots knowing that some may drop out because: cost/aid results, academics, change of mind. At the end, if they have too many, they just don't support them in the admission process and they get dropped "for academic reasons". It's a game that some of the Ivies play - not a very ethical one but a game nonetheless. Stone is notorious. The old Dartmouth coach was another one. Kampersal did not play the game so much at Princeton - you could rely on his commitment.
                          Thanks - now I understand what you meant. I was thinking more in terms of overall roster size - not the slots admissions allows. Makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by used2lurk View Post
                            Fidler is an elite women's hockey player.
                            In fairness to 33, the Harvard forward recruits include 2 USA-18 forwards and the 2nd leading goal scorer in the PW.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                              On Ivies: three things frequently happen: sticker shock ( no aid package until you are a senior), grades/test scores and overcomits. And this is just a generalazation.

Dobson is a nice addition. F idler and Gangarosa were recruited by Kampresal when he was at Princeton. Perhaps Dobson was too but can't find anything on line.

The 2020 class committed all as sophomores but Kampresal recruits frosh. Maybe Jackson gets the assist? Hopefully, he was interested in a couple of these girls when he was still at Princeton.

The 2021class will be really the girls he covets, he already has one verbally committed as yes a frosh.
                              His 2020 class are all his. Bothun was all set to commit to Princeton until he left. Saw her play at NAHA was best goalie there. https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/leaders
                              She should be the U-18 national team goalie this year. Lead team MN to 2nd place finish 2014 WSI in Bolzano was goalie of tournament. Already compared with Raty who happens to be her goalie trainer.

Comment

Exactly my point on recruiting frosh. Sounds like Penn State is fortunate that she waited until she was a sophomore to commit. Players are committing earlier and earlier. Webster committed as an 8th grader.

Comment

Working...
                                X