2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Penn State freshman defender Rene Gangarosa was named the CHA Rookie of the Week for the second time this season:

https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/2/...eek-honor.aspx

Comment

Penn State is at home this weekend for a Friday-Saturday matchup against Robert Morris, who is currently one point ahead of Mercyhurst to lead the CHA. These remaining four regular season series are all against CHA opponents, so it's crunch time for deciding the seeding for the CHA tournament.

Robert Morris is 11-11-4 overall, and Penn State is 10-11-5. The go-to player for Robert Morris is Jaycee Gebhard, who leads the CHA in points (followed - not closely - by Penn State's Natalie Heising). The CHA only tracks the top 17 players for points, and Robert Morris has four additional players on the list after Gebhard. Natalie Heising is the only Penn State player on the list, and she's been a bit quiet, so she's going to need to find her mojo for the rest of February.

Looking at Robert Morris's schedule, I think their biggest win overall has been against Mercyhurst, but that was Mercyhurst back in October. What Robert Morris has done well for themselves this season is handle other CHA teams and load up on conference points. Penn State has done better out of conference than they have against CHA teams, and they've played well against ranked teams, but that doesn't help with their seeding for the CHA tournament. Speaking of the CHA tournament, what is the reasoning behind having a Wednesday/Thursday/Friday tournament, all in Buffalo, where there are no CHA teams? Why not a Friday/Saturday/Sunday tournament, if people have to travel and take off from work? And, since I can't imagine many people taking three days off work to go to Buffalo, why can't the tournament be live-streamed on video for free? I know the answer has a lot of $$$ in it, and that's a whole new topic, so I'll stop there.

Both games against Robert Morris this weekend were originally scheduled to be streamed for free on LionVision, but now they're both scheduled to be streamed on the Big Ten Network, so a subscription is required. The cheapest is a monthly Penn State school pass for $9.95, but good news: that $9.95 subscription will get you the Robert Morris series this weekend and the Mercyhurst at Penn State series next weekend as well, so not a bad deal.

Robert Morris video stream (game one): https://www.btn2go.com/game/robert-m...st-on-02082019
      Robert Morris video stream (game two): https://www.btn2go.com/game/robert-m...st-on-02092019

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
        Penn State is at home this weekend for a Friday-Saturday matchup against Robert Morris, who is currently one point ahead of Mercyhurst to lead the CHA. These remaining four regular season series are all against CHA opponents, so it's crunch time for deciding the seeding for the CHA tournament.

Robert Morris is 11-11-4 overall, and Penn State is 10-11-5. The go-to player for Robert Morris is Jaycee Gebhard, who leads the CHA in points (followed - not closely - by Penn State's Natalie Heising). The CHA only tracks the top 17 players for points, and Robert Morris has four additional players on the list after Gebhard. Natalie Heising is the only Penn State player on the list, and she's been a bit quiet, so she's going to need to find her mojo for the rest of February.

Looking at Robert Morris's schedule, I think their biggest win overall has been against Mercyhurst, but that was Mercyhurst back in October. What Robert Morris has done well for themselves this season is handle other CHA teams and load up on conference points. Penn State has done better out of conference than they have against CHA teams, and they've played well against ranked teams, but that doesn't help with their seeding for the CHA tournament. Speaking of the CHA tournament, what is the reasoning behind having a Wednesday/Thursday/Friday tournament, all in Buffalo, where there are no CHA teams? Why not a Friday/Saturday/Sunday tournament, if people have to travel and take off from work? And, since I can't imagine many people taking three days off work to go to Buffalo, why can't the tournament be live-streamed on video for free? I know the answer has a lot of $$$ in it, and that's a whole new topic, so I'll stop there.

Both games against Robert Morris this weekend were originally scheduled to be streamed for free on LionVision, but now they're both scheduled to be streamed on the Big Ten Network, so a subscription is required. The cheapest is a monthly Penn State school pass for $9.95, but good news: that $9.95 subscription will get you the Robert Morris series this weekend and the Mercyhurst at Penn State series next weekend as well, so not a bad deal.

Robert Morris video stream (game one): https://www.btn2go.com/game/robert-m...st-on-02082019
        Robert Morris video stream (game two): https://www.btn2go.com/game/robert-m...st-on-02092019

Thanks for all this info. Without you the Penn State blogging will end. It is appreciated.

I think the CHA being in Buffalo has something to do with Pegula. He also owns the Harbor Center where it is held. That is just a guess. I assume the place is busy during the weekends.

I noticed Zanon and Uihleen were on the USA hockey team that traveled to Japan. I'm not sure Uihleen dressed and Zanon played in three of the games with an assist. Coomey was also an asst coach on that trip. That can't be bad for Penn State.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post

It’s a Wednesday Thurs Friday event this year???? Yikes, God help the STUDENT athletes that aren’t in cake majors. Maybe they are all on break at the time of the tourney, who knows. I will have to look at the schedule, definitely want to stream and watch if possible. I assume Harbor Center has something on the weekend, meaning a week day tourney?

I can see arguments for and against Harbor Center, but for a league that’s 80% Canadian, with a ton of players from Southern Ontario, I see the appeal of Buffalo, for family who want to come watch. It is probably most unfair to Penn State, who has the most American team, and a top notch facility they would love to host a tourney in.

I echo Reddington’s commentary on your posts here. I don’t always have anything to add but I enjoy having another CHA thread to read! I think it’s a great league and glad to see it be part of the overall conversation here. Much appreciated, and go on Penm State, take some points from Robert Morris this weekend!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
            It’s a Wednesday Thurs Friday event this year???? Yikes, God help the STUDENT athletes that aren’t in cake majors. Maybe they are all on break at the time of the tourney, who knows. I will have to look at the schedule, definitely want to stream and watch if possible. I assume Harbor Center has something on the weekend, meaning a week day tourney?

I can see arguments for and against Harbor Center, but for a league that’s 80% Canadian, with a ton of players from Southern Ontario, I see the appeal of Buffalo, for family who want to come watch. It is probably most unfair to Penn State, who has the most American team, and a top notch facility they would love to host a tourney in.

I echo Reddington’s commentary on your posts here. I don’t always have anything to add but I enjoy having another CHA thread to read! I think it’s a great league and glad to see it be part of the overall conversation here. Much appreciated, and go on Penm State, take some points from Robert Morris this weekend!
            Lindsay: I'd love to hear your theories on how Penn State, who does not play a puck possession type game, had 50 plus shots on Lindenwood and Mercyhurst who probably can be characterized as playing a puck possession type game only gets 26 shots against Lindenwood.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
              I think the CHA being in Buffalo has something to do with Pegula. He also owns the Harbor Center where it is held.
              I'm sure you're 100% right about this being a Pegula thing, with all the money he has tied up in Buffalo sports. He owns the NFL Buffalo Bills, the NHL Buffalo Sabres, the NWHL Buffalo Beauts, and a couple other teams, and he built the HarborCenter. I'm surprised they haven't renamed Buffalo to Pegulaville, New York. He's a Penn State grad - I wish he'd buy tournament time for his arena here. We do get the women's 2022 national tournament, though, so there's that.

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
              I enjoy having another CHA thread to read! I think it’s a great league and glad to see it be part of the overall conversation here.
              I'm really surprised that there isn't a single fan from Robert Morris, Syracuse, RIT, or Lindenwood who has anything to say about their women's hockey team.

On a streaming note for this weekend's Robert Morris series, it's also going to be available on the Fox Sports app, but I don't know the first thing about apps, so you're on your own if you want to watch the games that way.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                I'm sure you're 100% right about this being a Pegula thing, with all the money he has tied up in Buffalo sports. He owns the NFL Buffalo Bills, the NHL Buffalo Sabres, the NWHL Buffalo Beauts, and a couple other teams, and he built the HarborCenter. I'm surprised they haven't renamed Buffalo to Pegulaville, New York. He's a Penn State grad - I wish he'd buy tournament time for his arena here. We do get the women's 2022 national tournament, though, so there's that.

I'm really surprised that there isn't a single fan from Robert Morris, Syracuse, RIT, or Lindenwood who has anything to say about their women's hockey team.

On a streaming note for this weekend's Robert Morris series, it's also going to be available on the Fox Sports app, but I don't know the first thing about apps, so you're on your own if you want to watch the games that way.
                I'm an RIT fan who lurks on this thread and Mercyhurst's. There have been a few RIT women's hockey threads over the years, but with barely any activity, so I don't bother starting them.

As for why Buffalo, I'm sure it was a package deal with the AHA and the CHA since both tournaments are there. CHA makes sense (it's an appropriately sized neutral site rink). On the men's side, I think it's a bit unfair because even though it's officially a neutral site, it is still Canisius's home rink. I know on the men's side they struggled having the tournament at Blue Cross Arena in Rochester in recent years when RIT has not made it and I think Blue Cross is way over-sized for the men. So A smaller rink makes sense, Buffalo isn't a bad location, but HarborCenter just seems wrong to me.
                Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
                Men's Frozen Four 2010
                Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
                  I'm an RIT fan who lurks on this thread and Mercyhurst's. There have been a few RIT women's hockey threads over the years, but with barely any activity, so I don't bother starting them.
                  If you have thoughts on why RIT is improved (beyond the previously mentioned better fit from the head coach), I'm sure a number of us would be interested in reading them. What are the things that the Tigers are doing better on the ice? Create an RIT thread, a generic CHA thread, put it into D-I scores ... whatever seems good to you. Thanks and welcome!
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                    Lindsay: I'd love to hear your theories on how Penn State, who does not play a puck possession type game, had 50 plus shots on Lindenwood and Mercyhurst who probably can be characterized as playing a puck possession type game only gets 26 shots against Lindenwood.
                    Not sure, tbh. What do you think?
                    My thoughts: Penn State is averaging around 31 shots per game this year to Hurst’s 28ish. So maybe the stat makes more sense than we realize. Hurst leads or nearly leads the nation in penalty minutes per game which surely impacts shots taken. In the game where Hurst only had 16 shots, they had 20 minutes of penalties.

The other thing is I wonder if Lindenwood puts up a tough fight but is exhausted in game 2 of a weekend series. Hurst beat them 5-0 in a game 2, without Nuutinen and Vasko. More recently Hurst put up 37 shots against Lindenwood in a game 2. Penn State’s 50 plus shot game was game 2. Early in the season, Syracuse narrowly beat Lindenwood in game 1, then won handily in game 2, if I recall.

Comment

Those are some great thoughts on penalties for Mercyhurst and game twos for Lindenwood.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                        The other thing is I wonder if Lindenwood puts up a tough fight but is exhausted in game 2 of a weekend series. Hurst beat them 5-0 in a game 2, without Nuutinen and Vasko.
                        That could be. I would think that the Lakers are deeper than the Lions. It could also be that a favored team that loses game 1 of a series feels like it has something to prove in game 2.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          That could be. I would think that the Lakers are deeper than the Lions. It could also be that a favored team that loses game 1 of a series feels like it has something to prove in game 2.
                          Haha, absolutely true. Need to bottle that feeling and bring it to every game.

Comment

Since both games this weekend are early 1:00 games, I'm going to repost the Big Ten Network streaming video links tonight so you have a chance to save them. To get set up for that, here is the link for buying a $9.95 monthly Penn State pass that will cover this weekend's series against Robert Morris as well as next weekend's series against Mercyhurst (cancel after next weekend so it doesn't auto-renew):

https://www.btn2go.com/secure/subscr...NTHLYPENNSTATE

Big Ten Network video links for this weekend (Friday and Saturday at 1:00 Eastern):

(Friday) Robert Morris: https://www.btn2go.com/game/robert-m...st-on-02082019
                            (Saturday) Robert Morris: https://www.btn2go.com/game/robert-m...st-on-02092019

Comment

On a parking note for today's game, the Pegula lot will be closed because of the early 1:00 start (the lot is used for faculty during school hours). The easiest spot to park is in the Beaver Stadium west lot, which is diagonally right across the street from the Pegula lot, so it's a very quick walk.

The Pegula lot will be open for the game tomorrow.

Comment

Robert Morris took it to Penn State and won 5-1 today. Robert Morris led the shots on goal 28-18, led in power play goals 2-0, led in blocked shots 15-9, and both teams had four penalties. Junior forward Brooke Madsen scored the lone Penn State goal.

This game really got away from Penn State in a short time in the second period and there was no catching up after that. If anyone watched it, add your thoughts on what you saw today (I had to leave early, so I didn't see the game after late in the second period).

Comment

Working...
                                X