Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Now Penn State has put out new information about parking for Friday's game, because (unknown to me) it's Homecoming parade night on Friday:

https://news.psu.edu/story/540995/20...ame-homecoming

This is the kind of thing that always makes me wonder why they built a 6000-capacity hockey arena and put such a tiny parking lot next to it. Why not a multi-level parking deck? I'd be pretty upset if I was paying for a men's hockey game and couldn't use the hockey parking lot.
    OH MAN !!!!
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Gigi's (farm to table).
      Primanti's (now a chain but original in strip in Pittsburgh) that's been on one of tv shows. Try the Roast Beef stack if that's your cup of tea). Onion rings great too.

Comment

Streaming video of today's game against Union (at 3:00 Eastern) is here: http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/?...&type=upcoming

It's an ESPN+ subscription, but it's a free 7-day trial, so you can sign up for this weekend and then cancel, for no charge.

Comment

Penn State leads Union 2-0 after the first period, with goals from Natalie Heising and Brooke Madsen. Penn State has been all over Union, spending most of the period in Union's end, and they look like themselves again. Lots of chances, and not giving Union any time or room to get any offense mounted.

Comment

Still 2-0 after two periods. Union found a few more chances, but Penn State isn't giving them much to work with.

Comment

Penn State takes game one at Union by a score of 3-1. Union got their lone goal with 11 seconds left, on a 6-on-4 power play. Speaking of power plays, Penn State took an uncharacteristic six penalties (three by freshman Loli Fidler). Union looked better as the game went on, especially getting those six power plays to work with, but Penn State was good about clogging things up.

Penn State led the shots on goal by 33-19. Goals came from Natalie Heising, Brooke Madsen, and a late empty-netter from Abby Welch.

Overall, Penn State looked like themselves again after a disjointed weekend last week against Merrimack, so that was good to see. They look faster and stronger than any other Penn State team has been, and much better defensively, too. Jenna Brenneman looked great in the net and really should have had a shutout, but the late goal with 11 seconds left was deflected in by a Penn State defender. Madsen and Heising are a lot of fun to watch, because you know they're both going to make something happen.

Comment

Freshman report card after five games:

#13 Rene Gangarosa (D) - 5 games played, 1 point on 1 goal, no penalties.
                -- Gangarosa was part of the Dirty Dozen who beat then-#5 Colgate, and she's been a solid player right out of the gate. She's a good offensive defender with a hard shot, she's physical but very disciplined, and she doesn't play like a rookie.

#21 Anna Promersberger (F) - 5 games played, 2 points on 2 assists, 1 penalty.
                -- Also part of the win against Colgate, and she's been impressive so far. She is fast, smart with the puck, and I think she's going to be a good one. She's had no trouble stepping right into NCAA play. She and Gangarosa are my two favorite freshman players so far.

#15 Jessica Adolfsson (D) - 5 games played, 1 point on 1 assist, 3 penalties
                -- She's a strong player who works hard, especially against the boards. She's still adjusting her play from the Swedish national team to NCAA "rules of engagement", but it's only five games in, so she'll adjust soon enough. She's a solid player.

#27 Izzy Heminger (D) - 3 games played, 1 point on 1 assist, 1 penalty
                -- I don't have much on Heminger, so she must be blending in. One of the nine players suspended for the first series of the season.

#12 Loli Fidler (F) - 3 games played, no points, 3 penalties
                -- To be brutally honest, an underachiever so far, going by her pre-Penn State bio. She was also one of the suspended players. She has no points, and drew three penalties in yesterday's game at Union. She could be a really good NCAA D-1 forward, and is expected to be, so I hope she starts playing the way she's capable of playing.

#18 Amy Dobson (D) - I have nothing. She doesn't show up on the stats page, and I can't remember seeing her play, so she's a head-scratcher. Also one of the suspended players.

Comment

Penn State and Union are tied 1-1 after the first period, with both goals scored in the first three minutes of the game. Union looks much better than yesterday, with a more aggressive forecheck that has Penn State scrambling. The usual players are digging in and making things happen, and the other usuals are killing momentum, so hopefully some adjustments are made between periods.

Comment

Penn State is up 2-1 on Union after a better second period. The forecheck is relentless, which is becoming a trademark for Penn State. Union only managed one shot in the period, and took the only penalty, but Penn State couldn't convert on the power play. Penn State doesn't have on "off" switch, and that's a definite Kampersal change. I don't know why they're not giving Loli Fidler an assist on Katie McMillan's goal, as she forechecked her way to the puck and dished it directly to McMillan for the scoring shot. Lots of work in the offensive end, so if Penn State can focus their passing a little better it could mean good things in the third period.

Comment

Penn State sweeps Union with a final score of 3-2. Goals came from Amanda McLeod, Katie McMillan, and Anna Promersberger, all at even strength. Penn State led the shots 26-9, but got smoked in the faceoff circle, with Union winning there 27-19. Penn State didn't take a single penalty in the game.

Takeaways:

1) Penn State is fast, and is on the opposing team non-stop. Teams that haven't played Penn State in a couple years are in for a surprise.

2) Brooke Madsen and Natalie Heising are on a different level...'nuff said.

3) Anna Promersberger is one of my favorite freshmen for good reason, and she showed it again today.

4) There are still a few players who need to stop killing breakouts with indecision and one too many taps on the puck.

5) Penn State looks like a team again, after last weekend's sort of scrambled play against Merrimack.

It was a solid weekend series at Union, with all kinds of offensive pressure and a defense that only gave up nine shots today. Penn State is in a good place early in the season. Yes, there's definitely some fine-tuning to do, but they're playing with intensity and purpose. One change from last year is their more aggressive intention to score. I think Jeff Kampersal is still settling on lines, and that can't be easy with the amount of talent on this team. He could easily stack a top line, or spread it out a bit, or just juggle players as the season goes, so I think that's a work in progress. He's got enough to stack two lines, really, so we'll see how it works out. Great to see them get a sweep!

Comment

Three weekends into the season and Penn State looks good so far. Absolutely, there are things to work on, but overall they're quick, physical, disciplined, and aggressive to the net. It's early in the season, but Penn State currently leads the CHA in points per game, goals per game, assists per game, and short-handed goals per game. They have also allowed the fewest goals per game among CHA teams, and are the least penalized team in the CHA.

Junior goalie Jenna Brenneman leads the CHA in winning percentage and goals-against average. Sophomore Natalie Heising is tied for the conference lead in points. Senior captain and defenseman Kelsey Crow is two points behind Heising, which is a nice surprise.

This weekend is at home against Providence, and that's going to be a real test, and the last chance to iron things out before conference play starts - the following weekend, Penn State plays at Mercyhurst, and that's guaranteed to be the most physical series they've played so far.

Jeff Kampersal has really turned this program around and put it on the right track. It's still a work in progress, for sure, but the potential is there for this to be the best Penn State team to hit the ice since they started D-1 play. It's been fun to be a fan so far in this 2018-19 season.

Comment

First time Penn State is over 500 in three whole seasons. Colgate was a nice surprise, Merrimack was a let down and Penn State held serve on Union. Terrible defensive breakdown at end of first Merrimack game causing tie. #26 was a post away from winning it in Ot though.
                          Penn State has improved significantly on D and in the net. D that can move puck up the ice with crisp passes allow offense to be more offensive. Taking time and space from Providence will be key this weekend.

Comment

Here's a link to the video feed for this weekend's series against Providence. It's on LionVision, which I believe is free but without play-by-play announcers:

https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Live=146&type=Live

Comment

Just a reminder that the Penn State series against Providence is an early one - 2:00 (Eastern) today and 12:00 (Eastern) tomorrow.

If you plan on watching the live video on LionVision (https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Live=146&type=Live), it might be a bit tough not having an announcer, unless you're familiar with the roster, so here's a link to the roster so you don't have to go hunt it down: https://gopsusports.com/roster.aspx?path=whockey

Providence is 3-0, including a sweep of Bemidji State at home to open the season. Their other game was a win against Holy Cross, and that's their season so far. I don't know how good Bemidji State is, and Holy Cross isn't really a test, so I don't know what to expect out of Providence. It will be the final non-conference series for Penn State to work out any remaining kinks and settle in for the start of conference play next weekend.

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                              D that can move puck up the ice with crisp passes allow offense to be more offensive. Taking time and space from Providence will be key this weekend.
                              Those are the kinks I can think of. Outlet passes need to happen quicker, and the smothering play they showed at Colgate needs to be a 60-minute plan. Penn State can do both - they just need to do them consistently, and I'm sure those things have been worked on this week. It should be a fun series to watch!

Comment

Penn State dropped game one in overtime today against Providence by a score of 3-2. All credit to Providence, who came to play and got better as the game went on. Penn State got goals from junior Katie McMillan and sophomore Katie Rankin, but Providence got the OT game winner. There was no shortage of scoring opportunities for Penn State, but Providence goalie Madison Myers was on her game today. It was fast from start to finish, and I expect tomorrow will be more of the same.

Highlight video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRuL...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Working...
                                X