Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Penn State dropped its season opener to Colgate by a score of 3-1, but they looked better than any previous Penn State team on opening night. They outshot Colgate 29-24 and had a lot of good looks. Penn State really outplayed Colgate for two periods and had a very smothering defense.
    Watched it on ESPN+, I'm not a fan of either team but was just bored and wanted to watch hockey. Penn State looked very impressive. They could be something once they get all their suspended players back
    https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
      Watched it on ESPN+, I'm not a fan of either team but was just bored and wanted to watch hockey. Penn State looked very impressive. They could be something once they get all their suspended players back
      I won't do a long "what if" thing, but with some of those suspended players this could have been a very different game. Just as a fan, seeing players get themselves suspended is really disappointing (and frustrating), no matter what these players did.

The twelve who played really worked their tails off and looked great. The days of a Penn State team automatically skating backwards are over, for sure.

Comment

Penn State takes down Colgate by a score of 4-2, with no sign of these 12 players being gassed after yesterday. It was full press hockey, and a very impressive game from a very short bench. Jeff Kampersal has to be licking his chops for next weekend with a full bench.

Comment

Game recap from the win over Colgate today:

https://gopsusports.com/news/2018/9/...ew-season.aspx

Comment

Takeaways from the weekend split with #5 Colgate:

Of the twelve skaters who played both games of the weekend series, three were freshmen - defensemen Rene Gangarosa and Jessica Adolfsson, and forward Anna Promersberger. None of them played like freshmen skating in their first game at NCAA D-1 level - it was all go, all the time, for all sixty minutes, and they worked their tails off. I'm pretty sure Jeff Kampersal liked what he saw from them.

I expected these twelve players to be gassed after yesterday's game (especially the four defensemen), and be running on fumes by the start of the second period today, but that didn't happen. Hats off to the team's conditioning people. I couldn't believe how much energy they all still had right to the end.

I was glad to see junior goalie Jenna Brenneman get the start for both games, and she looked good. Redshirt freshman Cam Leonard was the other goalie dressed and ready to play, and I'm anxious to see her in net eventually, too. Penn State is in good shape for goalies.

It was a great series to watch, and it left me feeling good about Penn State in 2018-19. They seem a lot more determined to score this year and want nothing to do with the mountain of ties and overtimes they had last season. They had a ton of really good looks this weekend, and a full bench would have made for some great highlights.

I hope the nine suspended players use the opportunity to really learn from it, grow from it, and hit the ice next week with a head full of steam, playing like they owe their teammates something, because they do.

Comment

12 skaters.... that’s nuts for college. I know on most teams 4 D and 9 forwards get most the icetime anyway, but wow.

Nice win, and we’ll see what comes against Merrimack.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                12 skaters.... that’s nuts for college.
                Especially nuts considering the team they beat was one overtime goal away from being crowned national champs this past March.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

That's two frosh d soaking up every other shift and a bomb from Gangarosa from the blue line for first goal of career. Brennerman was solid in net except for fluky first goal in first game that went five hole on a windmill shot from the top of the circle. Penn State looks like big beneficiary of Sauve transfer to Clarkson. Penn State probably wins two if not for that shot.

Surprising win in game two based on this team historically getting pounded in game two of a two game series.

It's not the same old same old.

Comment

Just for a visual from this series, have you ever seen a lineup sheet like this?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoSDIH4XoAEKzWq.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                      Just for a visual from this series, have you ever seen a lineup sheet like this?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoSDIH4XoAEKzWq.jpg
                      My respect for this coach has gone up a few notches. Players break team rules, players should sit. Too many coaches are all about winning.

Comment

Checking out that lineup sheet...wow Jessica Adolfsson is tall!😏

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
                          Checking out that lineup sheet...wow Jessica Adolfsson is tall!��
                          Rumor says Penn State has their eye on another Swede, and she's 5 ft. 27 inches, and she deadlifts 3 lbs 8000 oz.

Comment

Freshman defenseman Rene Gangarosa (Rochester, NY) has been named the CHA Rookie of the Week after her first collegiate series:

https://chawomenshockey.com/news/201...-the-year.aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                              Rumor says Penn State has their eye on another Swede, and she's 5 ft. 27 inches, and she deadlifts 3 lbs 8000 oz.
                              That is pretty impressive and to think she is only twelve teen years old!

Comment

It's a hockey weekend at home for Penn State with a weekend series against Merrimack on Friday and Saturday (streaming link: https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Live=129&type=Live)

I don't know much about Merrimack, except that they didn't lose anybody to graduation after last season, and they're a fairly new program. They have 11 seniors this season. It sounds like where Penn State was a few seasons ago. If you have a read on Merrimack, feel free to jump in and share it - I'd love to have an idea of what Penn State will face this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X