2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

The Penn State game recap: https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/2/...ed-at-rit.aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
      I was watching ESPN sports center a couple of weeks ago and they asked whether the Philadelphia 76ers had a Boston Celtic problem. And the consensus was yes. Which brings me to the question. Does Penn State have a CHA problem? Yes, they do.

Comment

In Western NY this weekend. Got some puck luck, and the game fit into my schedule.

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
        Penn State and RIT are scoreless after one period in Rochester. I'm listening to the game and only watching the live stats, so no real feel for the game, but it looked and sounded like all Penn State until RIT woke up in the last few minutes of the period. Penn State leads the shots on goal 12-7, both teams are 6-6 in the faceoff circle, and there are no penalties in the game so far.
        You did quite well with the limited info that you had.

RIT scores to make it 1-0 after two periods on what sounded like a really weird shot - I'd love to see a replay...
        Live, it was a bang-bang play. It was so quick it almost looked like something the Tigers had practiced. More likely it was a case of great anticipation on the carom & quick release on the shot by Jade Mancini.

Cam Leonard was a little lazy moving across the crease on that first goal, but I don't know how she didn't have that second one. She got up ready to hand the puck to the ref and I think the goal horn scared her, because she thought the puck was in her glove. Welcome to D-1, Cam.
        Live, I didn't feel that she reacted to the horn. Although that thing is plenty loud. My eye said that Leonard was startled when she realized the puck wasn't in her glove.

You have to give a ton of credit to RIT's Terra Lanteigne - she's a hell of a goalie. RIT's defense blocking 39 shots is pretty impressive, too.
        The Official Scorer did a fine job with the Official 3 Stars. Lanteigne, though a pretty obvious choice for the top spot, played an amazing game. But you still have to get the call right.

From there, it was a great decision to recognize two of the leading shot blockers. #14 Ellie Larson got the 2nd Star; I believe the PA Announcer said she had 9 blocks. #21 Logan Land got the 3rd Star with 8 blocks. Of course those players were also difference makers on offense, with the 2nd Goal (Larson) and the Assist on the 1st Goal. (Land)

For Honorable Mention, I'd suggest PSU's line of Katie McMillan/Shea Nelson/Natalie Heising. They were skilled, hard-working & dangerous all game long. The fact they were held off the scoreboard speaks very well of the Tigers' Defensive Effort.

Don't know who to credit, but the Nittany Lion Defensive Corps did a nice job of keeping Tiger Star Kendall Cornine in check.

Last, and perhaps reflecting a little positive bias, it was very cool to see Central Ohio Native Izzy Heminger do so well. From the reports I've read, I expected to see a calm & confident defender, and wasn't disappointed. But Izzy also took lots of shots, and gave Lanteigne as much trouble as any of the PSU forwards.

To All: If you get a chance to see a game at Polisseni, do so. Compact, yet comfortable. Nice Video Board at each end. I didn't move around, but it appeared to me that all of the 4000 seats had an excellent view of the ice. Great venue!

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          In Western NY this weekend.

Last, and perhaps reflecting a little positive bias, it was very cool to see Central Ohio Native Izzy Heminger do so well. From the reports I've read, I expected to see a calm & confident defender, and wasn't disappointed. But Izzy also took lots of shots, and gave Lanteigne as much trouble as any of the PSU forwards.

To All: If you get a chance to see a game at Polisseni, do so. Compact, yet comfortable. Nice Video Board at each end. I didn't move around, but it appeared to me that all of the 4000 seats had an excellent view of the ice. Great venue!
          Nice to get a PGB on the road recap! I am also happy to see Heminger doing well this year.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            For Honorable Mention, I'd suggest PSU's line of Katie McMillan/Shea Nelson/Natalie Heising. They were skilled, hard-working & dangerous all game long. The fact they were held off the scoreboard speaks very well of the Tigers' Defensive Effort.
            I really like that line combo, and I hope Kampersal stays with it today. Katie McMillan got switched to forward this season after being a defender, and is doing a good job with the switch. Shea Nelson was quiet as a freshman last season and has really turned her game on this year - she's like a whole different player, much more aggressive. Natalie Heising is Natalie Heising, but she hasn't been as consistent as I'm sure everyone hoped, so maybe that's encouraging others to turn up their game.

Izzy Heminger hasn't played like a freshman this season, for sure. She's also got a deceptively hard shot, and threw 17 of them toward the net yesterday, six on goal. She fits right into what seems to be the plan of throwing the puck at the net and having players bang away at it around the crease. She's had no trouble moving up to D-1 hockey.

Comment

Lindenwood was up 4-1 on Syracuse and Syracuse ended up winning 5-4. Mercyhurst beat Robert Morris 5-2. Can State win today so they have at least one winning series?

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                Lindenwood was up 4-1 on Syracuse and Syracuse ended up winning 5-4. Mercyhurst beat Robert Morris 5-2. Can State win today so they have at least one winning series?
                It would be nice to see Penn State win out the season. They have a battle coming next weekend at Lindenwood, even though Lindenwood is locked in as finishing last in the CHA regular season. It was a dirty, scrappy fight when Lindenwood played at Pegula.

The best Penn State can finish is fourth in the CHA, and that's only if RIT loses its last three games (including today). If RIT ties in at least one of the three games, loses the other two, and Penn State wins its last three games, RIT and Penn State will finish tied for fourth.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                  It would be nice to see Penn State win out the season. They have a battle coming next weekend at Lindenwood, even though Lindenwood is locked in as finishing last in the CHA regular season. It was a dirty, scrappy fight when Lindenwood played at Pegula.

The best Penn State can finish is fourth in the CHA, and that's only if RIT loses its last three games (including today). If RIT ties in at least one of the three games, loses the other two, and Penn State wins its last three games, RIT and Penn State will finish tied for fourth.
                  Just read the RIT write up and Penn State gets to deal with Senior day today. Hopefully, Brenneman is back.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                    Just read the RIT write up and Penn State gets to deal with Senior day today. Hopefully, Brenneman is back.
                    Brenneman is starting today's game...whew.

Comment

I can't find any live game audio at the radio station website, so apparently there's no audio available today. Looks like it's going to be a couple hours of staring blankly at the live stats.

Comment

And just like that, it's 1-0 Penn State on a goal from Natalie Heising.

Comment

RIT got a 10-minute game misconduct involving some kind of hit on Brenneman, and now Cam Leonard is in net for Penn State, so I'm wondering if Brenneman got hurt on the play.

EDIT: Brenneman is back in the game now.
                          Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 02-23-2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

At the end of the first period it's tied 1-1 at RIT. Penn State leads the shots on goal by 12-7. Both teams are 0-1 on the power play. Penn State got the five minute power play on the game misconduct against RIT but didn't score.

Comment

After two periods, Penn State and RIT are still tied 1-1. Both teams are 0-2 on the power play. Penn State leads the shots on goal 21-17, so RIT was a lot busier in that period.

Comment

Penn State's Katie Rankin scored with 1:12 left to give Penn State the 2-1 win over RIT. Penn State turned it on in the third period, and led the shots on goal by a total of 38-22...which doesn't even count the 33 shots that RIT blocked...so it was another shootfest like yesterday. I still want to see what happened on RIT's game misconduct, but I suppose we'll never see it.

Back at it next weekend at Lindenwood to finish the regular season.

Comment

Working...
                                X