Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
    Fantastic broadcasts! I happen to agree with the announcer that the goal should have stayed on the board in game one that was disallowed. The goal that counted was a bit lucky,BU coach said, "that shot hit someone on the side of the net and somehow went in.". I guess sweet justice.

Good Penn State showed up this weekend. Time to see if they can build off this against Cornell or revert.

Fantastic to see Compher x'ed out in game two and just a point in game one.
    I was glad to see Izzy Heminger get her goal after the first one was called off. She has a rocket of a shot for being a freshman defender.

Comment

Up next for Penn State is #4 Cornell in a one-and-done at Pegula Ice Arena on January 8 (Tuesday) at 6:00 PM. It will be a great chance for Penn State to try anything they've been wanting to try, and do it at full speed against a good team. Afterwards, Penn State is off for 12 days until jumping back into conference play against Lindenwood on January 20, so this game against Cornell should be 60 minutes of all go.

So far this season, Cornell has solid wins against Syracuse, Dartmouth, and Robert Morris. They have one-point wins against Harvard, Yale, and Quinnipiac, they have two ties against Mercyhurst, a win and tie with Robert Morris, a tie with Princeton, and a glaring loss against...drum roll, please...Brown University. On paper, they're a step ahead of Penn State, but they're definitely not unbeatable.

Head to head stats:

Shots per game: Cornell - 31.5 / Penn State - 29.6
      Goals per game: Cornell - 3.2 / Penn State - 2.1
      Power play goals: Cornell - 11 / Penn State - 9
      Penalties per game: Cornell - 3.8 / Penn State - 3.4
      Faceoff win percentage: Cornell - .493 / Penn State - .493

Starting goalie stats:

Cornell: Marlene Boissonnault - 1.37 GAA / .940 save percentage
      Penn State: Jenna Brenneman - 1.68 GAA / .931 save percentage

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post

So far this season, Cornell has solid wins against Clarkson and SLU, Syracuse, Dartmouth, and Robert Morris. They have one-point wins against Harvard, Yale, and Quinnipiac, they have two ties against Mercyhurst, a win and tie with Robert Morris, a tie with Princeton, and a glaring loss against...drum roll, please...Brown University. On paper, they're a step ahead of Penn State, but they're definitely not unbeatable.

Fixed your post
        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
          Fixed your post
          Good lord, how did those last two games slip under my radar? I'm going to pretend they weren't there when I looked at Cornell's schedule/results , but you know it was user error on my part. Thanks for correcting that!

Comment

The BU announcer had some insightful or other people might say opinionated remarks during the broadcasts about Penn State. He called Penn State's style of hockey "slow and tight", "methodical" and "grind it out.". However, it was not in an insulting tone but almost in a tone of appreciation.

However, if that is the identity of this team and I am not sure I agree with it, it may make sense that Penn State's biggest wins have come when the coach is rolling lines. At Colgate, he was forced to roll. And at BU, either by design or he felt like he had no choice after coming back from break he said"it was an advantage to play four lines." Penn State also played six d instead of 7.

Kampresal is closing in on 300 wins but he may have stumbled into something or he is a genius. Either way he has a blueprint.

The announcer also gave kudos for his recruiting prowess for the current freshmen class. He loved the d.

Comment

Penn State and #4 Cornell go at it tonight at 6:00 PM (Eastern). There's no free video stream, but there is video if you feel like paying.

I never know what to call these one-and-done games that have no bearing for either team, being a non-conference game. Penn State has twelve days off after tonight before facing Lindenwood, so there's no reason not to go 100 MPH tonight. Penn State has already beaten two ranked teams this season, and beat BU, who got votes for rank, so tonight could be fun. Both starting goalies have great stats, so (at least on paper) there shouldn't be a ton of scoring.

Comment

Dean Jackson returns to State for first time to add a little spice. Last year they played to a 1-1 tie. Cornell's Tuesday night propensity to schedule games is surprising. That can't be good for the student athlete. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                  I never know what to call these one-and-done games that have no bearing for either team, being a non-conference game.
                  It means a lot to Cornell, as the Big Red is jockeying for PairWise position.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                    Dean Jackson returns to State for first time to add a little spice.
                    I always wondered what his deal was when he left Penn State, and what he expected when he came here.

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    It means a lot to Cornell, as the Big Red is jockeying for PairWise position.
                    Good, I hope that means they're here to play hard, and Penn State is itching to give it back to them. I'm expecting this to be all-go for 60 minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                      Dean Jackson returns to State for first time to add a little spice. Last year they played to a 1-1 tie. Cornell's Tuesday night propensity to schedule games is surprising. That can't be good for the student athlete. IMHO.
                      I don't think the next semester has started yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                        I always wondered what his deal was when he left Penn State, and what he expected when he came here.
                        We all thought they hired him at Penn State to replace the clown that was there but maybe things were just too toxic there at that time. Isn't Cornell close to where he was previously at Elmira? Maybe his family simply prefers that area.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                          We all thought they hired him at Penn State to replace the clown that was there but maybe things were just too toxic there at that time. Isn't Cornell close to where he was previously at Elmira? Maybe his family simply prefers that area.
                          I don't know where Jackson is from, but he played at and graduated from Elmira, so good point - maybe that's his home turf. Cornell is only an hour or less from Elmira, too.

Comment

I don't know where Jackson is from, but he played at and graduated from Elmira, so good point - maybe that's his home turf. Cornell is only an hour or less from Elmira, too.
                            Looking at Googlemaps, both the PSU and Cornell/Elmira areas look like the boondocks to me so maybe it was a choice between the lesser of two evils? Lol (or at least the one he and his family were more familiar and comfortable with?)

Comment

Zed can you put up links again. Do you have to pay now?

Comment

I never know what to call these one-and-done games that have no bearing for either team, being a non-conference game.
                                Hmm. Not sure what to call them either. But I definitely think they have meaning - personal pride and competitiveness of course, but also recruiting maybe? Or a chance to make a splash in the small media conversation for women’s hockey? Or get yourselves further down the path of being ranked... a win against Cornell, combined with the other non conf wins def makes a statement.

With the Kampersal hire, and his own comments about wanting to be in the Frozen Four when they host in 2022, I think Penn State looks at every game as a chance to move the program forward. And imo every program should be attempting that every game.

But like you, not sure what to call these one off non conference games, either! I see it’s 1-1 after one.

Comment

Working...
                                X